Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   4Runners (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4runners/)
-   -   4 Runner vs Tacoma (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4runners/270828-4-runner-vs-tacoma.html)

bryan459 03-30-2013 06:52 PM

4 Runner vs Tacoma

Hi Guys,

Son wants a Tacoma.

I'm wondering if a 4 Runner might not be a better choice.

Basically I'm just thinking that as a surfer, her might be better off with a 4 Runner he can lock his boards in when he stops and walks away from truck for whatever reason. Sure he can get a shell on the truck, but he still stuck with length of truck bed vs full interior length of 4 Runner.

Either way he'll need 4x4.

Feedback appreciated. How does the 4 Runner compare with Tacoma?

jeff b 03-30-2013 06:55 PM

Truck or station wagon? Bet he wants a Tacoma.

TimmyB 03-30-2013 06:57 PM

As someone who has been surfing for most of my life, I can tell you that a truck with a camper is way better to have than an suv. No issues with water in the cab or wetsuit stank. Just make sure he gets a fullsize bed (not the shortbed with the double cabs).

And with a folddown rear window in the truck and camper, I can fit longboards through the truck.

DblCabMN 03-30-2013 07:00 PM

Sounds like a 4runner is the better choice. Assuming his boards are longer than six feet? But what do i know, i live in Minnesota :)

jeff b 03-30-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 6670299)
As someone who has been surfing for most of my life, I can tell you that a truck with a camper is way better to have than an suv. No issues with water in the cab or wetsuit stank. Just make sure he gets a fullsize bed (not the shortbed with the double cabs).

And with a folddown rear window in the truck and camper, I can fit longboards through the truck.

I knew there would be a logical reason not to go with a wagon. Thanks,

HIst8ofMIND 03-30-2013 07:12 PM

I have a 4th gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tacoma. I'm no surfer but either one will be fine for a surfer. I've never heard of anyone worry about a surfboard being stolen but in any case. The taco with a camper would be a better choice.

bryan459 03-30-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 6670299)

Perfect! I didn't know about a fold-down rear window. Problem solved.

I grew up in an era when leaving boards in the bed or on the roof was a non-issue, but I would expect it to disappear these days.

Good to know I can put the 4 Runner idea to rest.

bryan459 03-30-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff b (Post 6670292)
Truck or station wagon? Bet he wants a Tacoma.

lol, that's a no-brainer, but I was trying to remove cool from the equation.

bryan459 03-30-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND (Post 6670379)
I have a 4th gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tacoma. I'm no surfer but either one will be fine for a surfer. I've never heard of anyone worry about a surfboard being stolen but in any case. The taco with a camper would be a better choice.

The cost of custom boards these days is over the top. Where I spent 300 for a board by known quality shapers, these days the boards are 1500+. When you're not a pro surfer with boards handed to you, ...

Thanks for the comparison reassurance.

Ahshiet 03-30-2013 07:21 PM

With the wet dog smell coming to mind I would say truck but a runner is nice to lock it all up

Maybe remove rear carpet and apply bedliner?

HIst8ofMIND 03-30-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan459 (Post 6670438)
The cost of custom boards these days is over the top. Where I spent 300 for a board by known quality shapers, these days the boards are 1500+. When you're not a pro surfer with boards handed to you, ...

Thanks for the comparison reassurance.

Aren't custom boards easier to find if they are stolen? Especially with one of a kind graphics.

Ahshiet 03-30-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND (Post 6670467)
Aren't custom boards easier to find if they are stolen? Especially with one of a kind graphics.

Not if a tweaker spray paints it tho

bryan459 03-30-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND (Post 6670467)

Easier to identify if recovered. Easier to find if belonging to a big name in surfing circuit. Average Joe's custom board is more about shape than graphics, so won't really stand out. And even one of a kind graphics have to recognized by someone who knows that they are looking at a stolen board.

HIst8ofMIND 03-30-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahshiet (Post 6670475)
Not if a tweaker spray paints it tho

Only once I had to deal with a stolen surfboard at work. It's uncommon for it to get stolen.

Ahshiet 03-30-2013 07:56 PM

My 3yr son's SUP board
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...live2Jd5qL.jpg

chris4x4 03-30-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff b (Post 6670323)
I knew there would be a logical reason not to go with a wagon. Thanks,

Not sure if you know this, but the 4runner is an SUV, and one of the more capable vehicles on the road, off the lot.

jeff b 04-01-2013 03:18 PM

yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 6670632)
Not sure if you know this, but the 4runner is an SUV, and one of the more capable vehicles on the road, off the lot.

Nothing wrong with a 4runner if I wanted a wagon it would be my first choice. Very capable for sure.

rmtofast 04-01-2013 10:15 PM

I just traded my built 3rd gen 4runner, I'm into white water kayaking which is simular...for my playboat (5 foot ) boat to fit it still hung out the back window, wet clothes on my carpet kinda stunk, muddy boots, wet boat with water dripping onto carpet.. this wasn't working for me and it was even harder to throw them up on the roof rack.. on a everyday note ..taking trash to dump, hauling anything other than grocerys was just doing more damage to the 4runner than it was worth so I traded for my 99 tacoma and never looked back. You just can't beat it my vote coming from a 24 year old that owned a heavily modified 4runner for 2 years and a fresh Tacoma owner would be the Tacoma

bryan459 04-07-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 6670632)

I actually didn't think of the 4 Runner as an SUV (no I didn't think it was a station wagon). The older models are what I picture when I think about a 4 Runner. I saw a late model 4 Runner yesterday and see how it has clearly transformed into SUV status.

bryan459 04-07-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahshiet (Post 6670620)

Obviously that is a board that is easy to recognize, not subtle at all. Nice!