Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   4Runners (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4runners/)
-   -   1995 Toyota 4Runner Problems...Need advice! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4runners/277795-1995-toyota-4runner-problems-need-advice.html)

Jay238 05-14-2013 09:09 AM

1995 Toyota 4Runner Problems...Need advice!

Hey guys, my younger brother (17) just bought his first car, a 1995 4runner. Paid for it all on his own, which I am stoked. BUT, it is a DOG. Yes, I have read all over t4r, ttora, and pirate 4x4 about how slow the 3.0 is. But, he can have it floored, pedal to the metal, over-drive off, and the "ECT" power on, going 20 mph up a semi-inclined hill. Engine is all stock and he has a flowmaster muffler, no tail piping. Just muffler which is louder than sin.

Any tips to try quickly at first? I might go ahead and help him out by paying for a regear. His 4runner has some kind of lift, like a drop bracket, with 31" tires. He has the auto trans as well. He bought it at sea level in the Bay Area, and then took it to my fathers house at about 3k elevation. He, and my father, say it ran 100000x at the sea level. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm out the in field a lot for work so I couldnt attend the purchase..

PS. I know this is a slowww engine but I feel it shouldnt be this bad. Something is wrong.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps913e4d40.jpg

SCRunner12 05-14-2013 03:25 PM

Typical maintenance items will help a bit, but unfortunately that engine is weak. A lift and aggressive tires will suck the power out of it. Don't get a regear, but rather look for a junkyard 2nd gen 4runner with factory 4.88's. They are somewhat common and I think the doorjamb code is g144 or something like that. I'd assume he has either 4.56 or 4.30's in there now. Also the auto transmission and 3.0 make a horrible duo. I had the same 4runner and no matter what it was a dog, especially on hills and elevation.

Best bet is to learn to deal with it or drop a 3.4 in there. I chose to do neither, but upgrade to a 3rd gen 4runner.

Blacktacoma23 05-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRunner12 (Post 6888414)
Best bet is to learn to deal with it or drop a 3.4 in there. I chose to do neither, but upgrade to a 3rd gen 4runner.

^ :D

Jay238 05-14-2013 04:55 PM

Hmm okay thanks guys

Mad Man Marty 05-16-2013 09:20 PM

A dog

Does it drive really slow, or do u think something is wrong?
I had one of these, but it wasnt too bad.
Plugs, wires, coil?
This engine had a head gasket problem. How is your compression?
Is there any anti-freeze leaking?do u have to add?
How about the cat convertor? A partially cloged cat really robs power.

Kevin B. 05-17-2013 12:44 PM

Is it an auto? The chain drive transfer case behind the a340 series transmissions is a horrible power sucker, but I rolled 31s with stock gearing on my last automatic and it was bad, but not horrible. And that was a 22re, and it was 2000 feet higher than you are :D.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating how bad it is? If it really can't accelerate up a mild hill, then that's not just gears, something is wrong. I'd start with a complete tuneup and go from there.

Jay238 05-17-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin B. (Post 6902906)
Is it an auto? The chain drive transfer case behind the a340 series transmissions is a horrible power sucker, but I rolled 31s with stock gearing on my last automatic and it was bad, but not horrible. And that was a 22re, and it was 2000 feet higher than you are :D.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating how bad it is? If it really can't accelerate up a mild hill, then that's not just gears, something is wrong. I'd start with a complete tuneup and go from there.

On a mild hill, it cant go past 20mph..

Kevin B. 05-18-2013 01:30 AM

Something is definitely wrong, then, and it's not just gearing. I'll ask again, is it an auto? Is it shifting correctly? Is it slipping?

I'd pull the plugs and make sure they all look like they're firing correctly, I'd check the timing, I'd test out the TPS and AFM, I'd jump the test port and pull the engine codes, I'd be taking it down to a muffler shop to get the cat checked, etc.

Jay238 05-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin B. (Post 6905829)
Something is definitely wrong, then, and it's not just gearing. I'll ask again, is it an auto? Is it shifting correctly? Is it slipping?

I'd pull the plugs and make sure they all look like they're firing correctly, I'd check the timing, I'd test out the TPS and AFM, I'd jump the test port and pull the engine codes, I'd be taking it down to a muffler shop to get the cat checked, etc.

It is the auto. We went an got a a whole new exhaust System made yesterday and that helped a lot. Before it was only muffler, nothing else. Tearing into her today for The rest

GRIZrunner 05-25-2013 01:53 PM

Id check the timing also

NelsonTacoma 05-25-2013 02:08 PM

My dad and I just recently put a rebuilt 3.0 in my sisters 92 4x4 4runner. It's also an auto. It's just slow. We removed the cats and even put on smaller tires. Nothing has helped. After asking the same question here that you asked we just pretty much gave up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4ru...eed-ideas.html

I recently bought a 96 4runner with the 3.4 and it has TONS more power.

Mad Man Marty 05-30-2013 07:09 PM

Jay, any updates?

Jay238 05-30-2013 09:05 PM

Nope, tried looking at everything listed, still a dog. Chalking it up to gutless engine.

NelsonTacoma 06-01-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay238 (Post 6963101)
Nope, tried looking at everything listed, still a dog. Chalking it up to gutless engine.

Sadly that's the decision my dad and I came to. If we knew we probably would have scrapped the truck and bought a newer one. My dad spent like $2k rebuilding the motor and buying a used tranny. What a waste. :(