Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > 4x Innovations

Notices

Any interest in internal roll cage kits for 05+ Tacomas?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #41
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxman25 View Post
Depends on what your definition of totaled is I guess. It sounds to me like you're really more so looking for an exo cage than an internal. The exo will "help" protect the exterior of the truck a lot more than an internal. In a hard roll with an internal you'll still lose all of the glass, there's simply nothing that can be done about that. With and exo you have more of a chance of not messing up the window openings. You also have a weaker, heavier cage and it will dramatically change the look of the truck.

Yeah, external cage is out of the question.

I wouldnt mind the glass breaking, thats easily replaced without having to replace the truck completely.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #42
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No vibration isolation is what's causing a lot of that noise.
THAT'S what I forgot to include in the build!

Wouldn't that be an issue with any structurally sound cage? I would think any kind of dampening on the tubes would weaken the structure.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #43
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Yeah, external cage is out of the question.

I wouldnt mind the glass breaking, thats easily replaced without having to replace the truck completely.

you wont be able to replace the glass if you roll it good, the cab will be smashed around the cage still.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #44
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
If I was to install a cage it would be for my protection not to keep my exterior pretty
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
4x Innovations
traxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud of

Name: Adam
traxman25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
THAT'S what I forgot to include in the build!

Wouldn't that be an issue with any structurally sound cage? I would think any kind of dampening on the tubes would weaken the structure.
You're running desert races it looks like, so for you, you need a solidly mounted cage. I'm not looking to build this kind of cage kit. For the market I'm looking to serve, a frame tie in kit with bushing isolation still adds extra strength while not creating the noise issues you have. There's a VERY small handfull of people who would even want a cage like what you have, not what I'm looking to do. Your cage is great for desert racing and is what you need, but you sacrifice other performance of the truck, such as in cab noise levels.

Also, not having carpet or a headliner is adding to the noise levels A LOT. I had carpet in my 4 Runner on the first wheeling trip only. Then it go muddy, wet, and needed to be taken out, cleaned and put back in. It got taken out and tossed. With no other changes to the truck it got significantly louder in the cab just by loosing the carpet, more so than any other modification. You could try wrapping the cage in cage padding (which you should do anyway) to help cut down on the noise as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
you wont be able to replace the glass if you roll it good, the cab will be smashed around the cage still.
Certainly not easily. I have friends who have done it in the mini trucks and it was never quite right afterwards. That's on a truck that doesn't have quite the engineering behind cab strength that these do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
If I was to install a cage it would be for my protection not to keep my exterior pretty
RIGHT!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #47
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
220 lbs is a heck of a lot of tubing in an access cab. It's great for a race cage but we're not talking race ready cages.
If the person engineering a cage with 4130 is worth their price a 4130 cage will be stronger and lighter. That is where real engineering comes into play. However we are NOT going to go there in this thread, and I'm not going to mess with a moly cage.

i dont consider my cage race ready yet , it needs more tube. id say what i have is the min anybody would want out of a rollcage. but if your just talking about building 4 legs with a hoop at the top, it isnt very strong for the 2nd gens and what the majority does with them. a cage needs a lot more bracing to stay ridigid in a 30-40mph roll vs a 5-10 mph roll down a slight grade. id say 150 lbs for a cage in a double cab would definitely be missing a few much needed tubes!

everybody here is going to want something different and i think a simple bolt in cage would be a good idea . especially if your worried about someone calling you complaining that they cut a hole in the wrong place on the floor or dash. bolt on is the only way around that . what you are trying to do is definitely a huge undertaking.

are the cages going to be laser cut and cnc bent ? or are all the tubes going to be hand fabricated? as far as bolt-in goes , is it going to bolt on to the frame or the bodymounts inside the truck?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #48
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
i like all of your in cab designs now, it looks to me like your cages are built best for someone that wants complete protection in a roll over while keeping complete functionality of the rest of the truck! Ive heard a lot of people mention things like this before about adding a cage to a "factory" truck for those safety reasons!

I love the idea cause like you said, even though cages like MPJ2s are badass, its not what an average person, whos trying to keep a "truck" and have a cage, would want! Im a personal fan of the idea of a simple design thats strong and provides the best protection while keeping as much pipe out of the way as possible for everyday function!

and for the sound, people use stuff like dynomat all the time for increased sound deadening. Pull the carpet, head liner, and panels, lay that shit down, then reassemble everything, works great! I wonder if this could also be used on the cage itself
Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #49
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
For the Access cab, keeping the middle open would be important. I would keep the stock seats... Have an optional addon for guys wanting to run harnesses.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
4x Innovations
traxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud oftraxman25 has much to be proud of

Defined, Do you have any photos of your cage? How many feet of tube did you put in your cage? We really should be talking feet, not weight. I've been building cages for many years. If you don't know by now, we don't do legs and halos! That's the WORST kind of cage you could build, and like you said won't hold up to much of anything. http://4xinnovations.com/techarticle...structions.pdf Skim the first 3 rolls, they're boring, "read" the last two, watch the last video.

I do WIY cages now, in fact that's all I do for cages. They don't require cutting a hole in the dash and lining up the floor plates is not difficult, so there's very little worry of drilling a hole in the floor at the wrong spot. Drilling a large hole in the dash is a MUCH different story!

Laser cut tubes is only useful if you want to spend much more money than you need to. We have perfected the systems we use here (which are not laser or hand cut either) and I have no concerns about mass producing the cages in house. Remember this is not a new product line for us, we're not new to offroading, and I'm not new to production of complex tube assemblies.

Allmotor, you get it, thanks!

RiggedT, We'll do the harness bar and dash bar and probably a few others as add ons for those who need them. That's how I do the 4 Runner cages and it works out well.

For those with out a double cab, I'm sorry but I won't have anything for you for quite a while. I've yet to find anyone in the area who wants anything for their 05+, so I had to buy the double cab I have. It'll be a while before I can buy a regular cab and access cab.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #51
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man. Id hate to have a bunch of tooobs blocking my reach area for snacks
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Defined, Do you have any photos of your cage? How many feet of tube did you put in your cage? We really should be talking feet, not weight. I've been building cages for many years. If you don't know by now, we don't do legs and halos! That's the WORST kind of cage you could build, and like you said won't hold up to much of anything. http://4xinnovations.com/techarticle...structions.pdf Skim the first 3 rolls, they're boring, "read" the last two, watch the last video.

Adam, the 2nd & 3rd photos I posted are of Mike (Defined) cage.

I do WIY cages now, in fact that's all I do for cages. They don't require cutting a hole in the dash and lining up the floor plates is not difficult, so there's very little worry of drilling a hole in the floor at the wrong spot. Drilling a large hole in the dash is a MUCH different story!

Laser cut tubes is only useful if you want to spend much more money than you need to. We have perfected the systems we use here (which are not laser or hand cut either) and I have no concerns about mass producing the cages in house. Remember this is not a new product line for us, we're not new to offroading, and I'm not new to production of complex tube assemblies.

Allmotor, you get it, thanks!

RiggedT, We'll do the harness bar and dash bar and probably a few others as add ons for those who need them. That's how I do the 4 Runner cages and it works out well.

Sounds like you got it figured out

For those with out a double cab, I'm sorry but I won't have anything for you for quite a while. I've yet to find anyone in the area who wants anything for their 05+, so I had to buy the double cab I have. It'll be a while before I can buy a regular cab and access cab.

Well I'm only 9hrs away
Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #53
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well that just killed it for me
Old 10-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #54
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
One that is welded in keeping most of the stock interior for a regular cab would be sick!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #55
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Adam,

What's the verdict on this one?

- Chase
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #56
4x Innovations

I'll likely be doing something but there's other projects that are in line first.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #58
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I need an exo skeleton that fits around the outside of the cab and straight out over the hood to mount at the outside corners of the front end frame. A 400# platform to haul stuff or stand on. Removable would be neat, too
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #59
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What kind of deal do you think you could work on a regular cab? If I showed up with the truck and cash in hand?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #60
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
reviving an old thread here, but the sound issue can be solved by filling the tubes with expanding foam, we use this in the pro bikes at the shop i work at and it keeps the tubes from echoing