1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why Did You Chose Your 5 Lugger

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by aggiepack, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I wanted a 6lug regular cab 4x4 really bad. i got really close to getting regular cab 2.7L 5speed SR5 Prerunner, I think it was either 06 or 07. It was with 50k miles and the dealer wanted $10.9 for it. I fell in love the minute I drove it! The bad part was that I needed a loan, had no money to put down, other than the POS Plymouth Neon with 160k miles, I was trading in.... The best loan the small dealer could get me was through Chase and 12.9APR... I told him he is insane and walked away, even though I really liked the Taco...

Well my situation then wasn't the best, the Plymouth Neon I was driving had over heating issues and leaked various fluids. Not that i couldn't fix it, but I needed a truck for work and I didn't want to pour money into POS Neon.

My budget was $250/month for a car payment. It was really hard to find a truck which would fit in that range. Luckily I found my Taco. I ended up at $256/month including gap insurance. Taco was base, white, 5speed & 5lug.

I almost got a v6 base Tundra for $230/month, but somebody else bought it few minutes before i got to the dealer :( I think it was a good sign, I know in the longer run, I wouldn't be happy with automatic truck...

The Taco is really great! I love the gas mileage of the 2.7L. i get about 21-24mpg and I have lead foot, the truck can haul quite a lot in the bed as well! Last weekend I had TWO ATV's in the bed and three guys in the cab, truck had no problem getting to 75mph on highway....

My plan is Fat Bob's lift (ordering that tomorrow :D), 15x8 steelies, 33's & rear locker. That should make for a capable 5lugger!

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Where to begin...

I wasn't looking to get a 4x4. Impractical and just more parts to worry about breaking.

- Interior Room: 100 out of 10 stars. The S10s, the Rangers, they are all so small and cramped inside, espeically if your a taller person. The Tacoma has tons of room and a little to spare. I can push the seat all the way back in the work ranger and still not have enough leg room. I actually have to move the seat forward in my Tacoma. I don't smash my knees on things getting into my truck.

-The Look. Really enjoy the look of the Tacoma. Like the look of the 5 lugger, those rims are goofy but it looks like a bulldog. Ford and Dodge didn't incorporate the styling of the Tacoma in their newer compact trucks for no reason.

- Work/Service/Repair Room: This was big for me, I work on cars, I'd like mine to be the smallest PITA as possible. When everyone is shoving stuff into nooks, everything on this 2.7 engine/truck is so readily accessable. I could shove a dead alligator in the engine bay and still be able to shut the hood, maybe not, but it's all right in front without this or that dumb design getting in the way.

- Gas Mileage. Really like this aspect as well. I don't drive a ton and if I want I can make a tank last me 2 weeks. Coming a 4.3L Blazer, big improvement.

- Brand. Toyota has made good cars/trucks. Better than Ford, GM and Chrysler. I plan on keeping mine for a long time. I see some real crap out there still running around somehow. Gives me hope that with proper/on time maintaince, that even if this truck was the biggest piece of crap on the earth, I can make it last.

-Once I found out how easy OE Crusie Control was to install, I was even more excited.

Only a few annoyances.

- The diff whine. I have this problem. Dealer "Could Not Duplicate". Tech is either deaf or a liar. Amazingly I can duplicate it every time. At worst plan on taking this in every so often for the same thing and if they want to play the CND game, then when that shit blows up, tow it to Toyota. Waiting on the TSB squeak pack to come in at which point I will be requesting to take a ride with a tech/service advisor/someone. Bad ring and or pinion gears, but wonder why, wonder if it's due to faulty material.

-Developed this annoying rattle somewhere from the passenger dash. Damn thing does it while I'm driving/accelerating but when I sit in my parking lot and let it idle, I get nothing.

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    sk205

sk205 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base
    I've been driving Rangers for the last 20 years or so. My 2000 had 200k, and was time for engine work, prob clutch and about time to get new brakes... was still running on factory pads.

Starting looking around and the Tacoma 5 lug standard cab blew its competition away. I commute 80 mi. a day, mostly interstates, and wanted decent mph ( getting 24 ) a stable ride, something that could handle wind and feel solid at 80+mph. Advantage Taco hands down. The standard cab felt huge compared to my Ranger, I am 6-6. I just don't do cars.

I don't offroad, and don't need 4wd. My thoughts are that this truck dives and rides much better that a similar size/ priced auto.

I am happy with a 4 and auto. Wifie's 1 stipulation was an auto. The stock tires and wheels are the only dink part of the Taco, and may change out tires and wheels after I get some wear on them ... or not.

This used (3900 mi ) 2010 was by far the most truck I could get for the money I was looking to spend ( paid cash) .

4. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Yeah, I wasn't really into cars, and didn't know how to drive manual.

But I learned how to drive manual with my friends 348awhp Evo 8 and I fell in love with cars.

I wouldn't mind having an X-runner though

5. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    usualxsuspect

usualxsuspect Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.4L 2WD Xtracab SR5
    Pioneer deck + amp w/ Polk Audio 10' sub. AFE Pro Dry S air filter. Bug and window deflectors. Tinted all around.
    I got mine free from my grandpa that passed away earlier this year, i could have chose to trade it in for a newer Tacoma which I almost did at first because I'd personally rather have a 4.0 than my current 2.4 but it has sentimental value so i decided to keep it. I don't tow anything either we have my dad's Ram for that. Sometime in the near future I plan on purchasing a bigger Tacoma

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    2010whitetaco

2010whitetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaston
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    single cab 5-lug
    ReadyLift 2 3/4 front 1 3/4 rear universal armrest Texas Rangers decal 235/75/15 Goodyear Duratracs Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box Secondary air filter removed TOYOTA decal on tailgate
    I forgot to mention the great gas mileage compared to my old truck...chevy 2500 6.0l it got about 9- 12 miles a gallon:eek: ... I love not even having to pay attention to the price of gas any more!:cool:

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I took advantage of the CFC deal in July-August of 09. The 2.7L 2WD was the Tacoma that qualified for the program. I was lucky to find a stripped down extra cab. I was looking for a SR5 package but the entire country was sold out. As it turns out haveing the base package was a decent deal and I began to mod it the way I wanted it.

I just added foot well lights today.

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    Railwayrog

Railwayrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dammeron Valley, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC 4x4 Off Road
    I'm thrifty aka cheap!

9. Oct 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I needed a truck for light duty stuff, I don't go 4 wheeling nor did I want to spend the extra cash.That being said The six luggers sure look good especially lifted just a few inches.

10. Nov 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    bills yota 2wpeel

bills yota 2wpeel Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Haddam CT
    Vehicle:
    08' tacoma 5 lug silver
    Ready lift 5 lug 2.75 suspension, custom built 1.75 body lift, Nitto Grappler A/T 265/70R16, AR Tactic Wheels 16x8 4.97bs, AFE pro dry cai, ARB RD129 rear locker 4.10 gears, lc engineering header
    It was either going to be a new reg cab 4wd or 2wd 5 lug. I'm cheap so i got the 5 lug. I figure this will prevent me from ever taking a new truck 4 wheelin as well. My '94 reg cab 5 lug was such a reliable truck, so I bought another toyota. The 4 cyl had plenty o power til I put on the ready lift, 1.75 custom body lift, and 31" tires. At least I wont be getting any speeding tickets now.

11. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I like Thrifty. It just sounds better. ;)

12. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:59 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i am/was poor. both of those sound better than poor :D lol

13. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Oh Oh at 70 YO you may have a problem. :eek:

Words I live by:
    "There is only one thing worse than being old in America and that is being old and poor in America".

14. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Poor in America means hella rich by almost any other country's standards :cool:

15. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    ExTurbo

ExTurbo Active Member

Member:
    Burlington NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma-2.7
    I traded in my 03 z06 and 97 s10 for my 2011 acess cab 2.7 5 speed. I got over having a corvette really fast...it was an amazing machine, but I found myself driving the pos 2.2 s10 most of the time. I decided to just have one vehicle, that was good on gas and cheap to buy new. I liked the utility of the s10 and didn't think I could drive a corolla (and still present my man card) so I went with the taco. Looked at the chevy's but wasn't as impressed. Actually I find the 2.7 to be a fun little motor. Very responsive at low rpm, where i spend most of my time driving.

16. Nov 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    im 69 again lol

17. Nov 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Magic Number ;)

18. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Shemicals

Shemicals Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    i had a yukon gmc as my first vehicle. i was 16. i was hauling ass on a street and didnt see a dip. the thing flew threw the air, the rear axle dropped upon landing....

i went to the dealership and my dad said if you make certain grades on ur report card ill get you ANY car you want. I knew i was going to get all D's so i said get me a tacoma now, ill produce the grades later... he wouldn't get me the prerunner because he didnt think i should be offroading...

i love my truck but i wish it was a v6. :) 5 lugs for life

19. Nov 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I wanted a truck, and gas prices are a pain in the azz. Plus i got my truck for pretty cheap for LOOOOW LOW miles. I bought it at 24,600 miles for 6G. It just rolled over to 30k about a month ago.
    0830000752.jpg

20. Nov 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I chose my 5 lug because they wanted too much for 6 lugs

Products Discussed in

To Top