Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Finally Ready to Lift!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Finally Ready to Lift!

*EDIT* Finally some progress! Check page 3 for pics. Sorry for this being a teaser for so long.

When I decided I wanted to lift my truck, I said I'd wait till my current tires were worn out. Well, they just hit the wear bars . Here's what I decided to go with:

Fabtech Spindles for the front

Beefed Shackles for the rear

Now I need to wrap up some minor details that maybe some of you can help with.

Brake Proportioning Valve bracket- necessary?

Also... the biggie: TIRES (and wheels)

I am looking at getting Cragar D-Window rims (staying 15" diameter, but no clue for the rest of the measurements. I think I'll go with ones with 4" backspacing, and I think my lug pattern is 5x4.5. Are our wheels hub centric? and I don't know about width)

Also I am thinking about General Grabber AT2s... But I'm not at all set on them. I want a fairly agressive AT tire but I'm looking to be as light as possible... suggestions? I also don't have a clue on size. Mine currently are 205/75/R15

Ok so maybe I'm missing some pretty major info. I'm open to any suggestions... and I figured I wouldn't get the "Don't bother lifting a 5 lug" haters here now that we have our own forum.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see a finished product!

I don't know what size tire you'll be able to fit with the lift you're doing, but I would think you would need at least a 245/75/15 to make it look proportional. I don't know how big you were thinking about going either, because you might want to consider re-gearing.

And Cragar wheels look sick...that's where my money is going once I wear out these stock tires.

Good luck with everything.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
nice man! i wish 2nd gens had spindles
anyways i think atleast a 245, maybe even bigger, idk what exactly fits under your truck though so maybe someone else with a 1st gen will come in
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Cool! I'm a 2nd gen, and a brand new one at that so I can't give much help on the specifics on your ride. Can't wait to see it lifted though!
The General Grabbers are a great AT tire, the only other one I would suggest would be Firestone Destination A/T's my buddy had a set and so did I on our Jeeps and they were impressive. They did great off road and had awesome rain/wet traction. Cragar's are going to be my choice if/when I ever get around to lifting mine too.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry haven't been on in awhile... Got super busy with work (damn leaves )
Anyway I got some unexpected insight on tire size the other day... My shop teacher told me to go grab a tire outside that needed a plug. I saw it and thought "That looks like my rim..."
It came off a truck identical to mine. He said it wasn't lifted and rubbed slightly in the front. It was a 235.

Soo... with less backspacing and a lift... 255?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #7

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alright.
After seeing my options, I think I'm gonna go with a 235 tire. I know I could fit bigger but that seems to be the closest to what I want to be without going up in rim size.
The tires I have selected (criteria- had to be offered by the tire shop we do business with)
General Grabber AT2
Kelly Safari TSR
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO

all in 235/75/R15.

I'll update with prices tomorrow... my dad's gonna call them tomorrow (He's made friends with them over the years, little more buying power than me )

I've also decided on Cragar D-Window rims (3425712, found for $50 apiece online) I think. However, I believe our wheels are hub centric and these are not. I can't remember which way these are interchangeable, if at all?

Thanks again for all the help... I need to get all of this stuff on before it snows and I'm sliding around everywhere again.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
warning will become famous soon enough
warning's Tacoma Gallery
I added this thread to my bookmark. I can't wait to see it finished.

Questions for you. Do you think the 3" spindle lift will give you the same height as a stock prerunner assuming you have the same tire size as a prerunner?

Also, how many inches of lift are you doing on the rear?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warning View Post
I added this thread to my bookmark. I can't wait to see it finished.

Questions for you. Do you think the 3" spindle lift will give you the same height as a stock prerunner assuming you have the same tire size as a prerunner?

Also, how many inches of lift are you doing on the rear?
I believe it will still be smaller than a prerunner. At least the ties will be so I'm assuming I will still be shorter. The shackles are 2"i believe
Old 11-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice

Name: Gaston
2010whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
You should go with the duratracs I love mine! I have them in the same size that you are looking to get. Great aggressive looks while still being quiet going down the highway.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I believe it will still be smaller than a prerunner. At least the ties will be so I'm assuming I will still be shorter. The shackles are 2"i believe
I have spacers up front & AAL in the back, running 31x10.5x15 tires. My 5lugger is as high as stock prerunner, well maybe little higher in the front & same height in the back...
Old 11-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #12

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hows your power loss with that big of a tire? I'm thinking of going bigger now
Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hows your power loss with that big of a tire? I'm thinking of going bigger now
It is not horrible, yes you will loose power, BUT it is worth it in my honest opinion to have the bigger tire... Besides as far as power loss, there wont be much difference between 235/75/15 & 31/10.5/15...
Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #14

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok... So I can buy front and rear shocks with the spindles to combine shipping. Are fabtech shocks any good? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this. They'd be $180 for all 4. My shocks aren't good but not horrible either. Is that 90 bucks better spent somwhere else?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok... So I can buy front and rear shocks with the spindles to combine shipping. Are fabtech shocks any good? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this. They'd be $180 for all 4. My shocks aren't good but not horrible either. Is that 90 bucks better spent somwhere else?
I heard that fabtech shocks arent that good. I would look into bilsteins.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #16

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I just noticed it's all free shipping anyway. I'll skip the shocks.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #17

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I've been looking at shocks... Will I need new rear shocks immediately with 2" of rear lift? They may bottom (or actually "top" out) occaisonally but will they get by for a little while? The front should be identical since I'm just doing spindles.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #18

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok after much head banging against the wall about details, the lift has been ordered!
Just placed an order with Performance Lifts for the spindles and Street Tacos for the rear shackles....
It feels like christmas eve now... Cant wait
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Sick!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
nice man! i cant wait to see it lifted!