Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Detroit Trutrac diff lockers.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Question Detroit Trutrac diff lockers.

Anybody have one?

I've been doing some research on TW/CT/XRU, and this seems to be the popular and most frugal choice.

I understand that the XR gears won't fit into the base rear end, but the stock XR locker will.

I'm not overly savvy with rear diffs and the like. Anybody have any pros or cons on this and ease of installation? I'd have my mechanic install it, not me.

I'm really not too keen on the "just weld your gears together" option either. lol

This is the one I'm considering...http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Locker...ductId=1032953
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
only if they addressed the problem with the outer bolts backing out of them and your diff would explode, happened with my last truck. Their warranty shouldn't even be a warranty, because they won't honor it. They will make you go to the distributor and blah blah blah........ok back on topic.

I personally wouldn't. I even had a "gear shop" install and "eaton" was blaming it on improper install........IF you do post up results and i would suggest pulling your cover off every oil change and make sure the bolts are still on tight....
I have heard they addressed the problem but after my experience with that, i wouldn't do it again.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
only if they addressed the problem with the outer bolts backing out of them and your diff would explode, happened with my last truck. Their warranty shouldn't even be a warranty, because they won't honor it. They will make you go to the distributor and blah blah blah........ok back on topic.

I personally wouldn't. I even had a "gear shop" install and "eaton" was blaming it on improper install........IF you do post up results and i would suggest pulling your cover off every oil change and make sure the bolts are still on tight....
I have heard they addressed the problem but after my experience with that, i wouldn't do it again.
I imagine that Loc-Tite thread locker would be a bad idea in this instance?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
I have one and like it a lot!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
I have one and like it a lot!
Any other info? lol

Installation was a breeze or what? Is it locked full time? No bolts backing out?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I imagine that Loc-Tite thread locker would be a bad idea in this instance?
The ring gear bolts should have loc-tite on them and be torqued at about 100 ft/lbs so they shouldn't back out. I guess he's referring to the bolts that hold the case of the trutrac together .

Other than the above and some debate over what type of gear oil to use (dino vs. synth) I've heard mostly positive things about them. Although, I think if you get one wheel off the ground it acts like an open diff which doesn't really work for offroad, but since you're more of a street truck it shouldn't matter. I think Chris4x4 used to have one in his 1st gen.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

907taco's Tacoma Gallery
let me say this also, this was on my Nissan Titan, this is weird because I was actually at a shop today inquiring if they had any lockers for a tacoma, they were trying to turn me on to the tru-trac. I told him what happend to my last vehicle, he admitted that they took care of that problem supposedly. That being said just because of what happend i would seriously for myself pull the diff cover off and inspect quite often. These require very little maintainence but mine after install didn't make it 6,000mi. and that is why this peticular locker leaves a sour taste in my mouth, i had just broken this thing in and wham my rear end just exploded, spider gears and everything. But i will admit, leaving 2 black marks will leave a huge smile on your face......It is a good product i just had a bad experience, especially because i did not get reimbursed for the product failing!!!!!!!!!!!! it wasn't worth my time to file a suit, i was just happy to be covered under warranty for a "whole rear end replacement".
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
let me say this also, this was on my Nissan Titan, this is weird because I was actually at a shop today inquiring if they had any lockers for a tacoma, they were trying to turn me on to the tru-trac. I told him what happend to my last vehicle, he admitted that they took care of that problem supposedly. That being said just because of what happend i would seriously for myself pull the diff cover off and inspect quite often. These require very little maintainence but mine after install didn't make it 6,000mi. and that is why this peticular locker leaves a sour taste in my mouth, i had just broken this thing in and wham my rear end just exploded, spider gears and everything. But i will admit, leaving 2 black marks will leave a huge smile on your face......It is a good product i just had a bad experience, especially because i did not get reimbursed for the product failing!!!!!!!!!!!! it wasn't worth my time to file a suit, i was just happy to be covered under warranty for a "whole rear end replacement".

IRT the warranty; did you remove the locker prior to taking it to the dealer, and did you tell them it was the locker that failed?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Alaskan Assassin

907taco's Tacoma Gallery
long story short, they didn't even care after i told them that i had a aftermarket product in it, the "titan" had a problem with the rear ends failing, my dealership had 2 replacement rear ends (whole axle assembly), Nissan's protocol for when the rear end fails, they just replaced the whole thing.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember how much it cost to install (it's been in for about 6 years). No bolts backing out that I no of? We get snow and ice in the winter and it hooks up pretty good. You don't want to try the install unless you really know what your doing. Easily my favorite mod.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Alaskan Assassin

907taco's Tacoma Gallery
yes, the back lash is something you just don't learn while doing it, you need a special tool to set the back lash, too much either way will wear the gears down. etc..... well worth the money to pay a shop who does this. unless you know someone who can do it for cheap.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
yes, the back lash is something you just don't learn while doing it, you need a special tool to set the back lash, too much either way will wear the gears down. etc..... well worth the money to pay a shop who does this. unless you know someone who can do it for cheap.
I know a certified Toyota tech that's in business for himself, so I'd have him install it. Goes by Speed Freek on CustomTacos.

What is this backlash? First I'm hearing of it.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
It is not the easiest install in the world but can be done. You will need to set the backlash on the ring gear though after install. It is not hard but does require some knowledge. as far as the tru trac goes. I've heard both ways. Good and Bad. But the bad is pretty bad... It does destroy the diff. Also are you sure you have an 8" ring gear because xrunner's have 8.4" ring gears and the one you posted is for an 8" ring gear. So as far as the LSD goes from an xrunner I don't think it will swap over. I wouldn't really recommend it anyways... My VLSD sucks anyways... The clutches will burn out quite quickly. I will admit though that I will be doing this Tru trac soon myself and I will be installing it myself. Anything else let me know.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is this backlash? First I'm hearing of it.
It's the amount of play between the ring and pinion gear..... The amount the ring gear can roll back has to be within a certain spec which is adjusted by inserting shims to scoot the pinion gear closer or ring gear closer together.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
Also are you sure you have an 8" ring gear because xrunner's have 8.4" ring gears
Yea wasn't sure on that part. lol Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
not a problem man. I'm not sure if you have an 8" ring gear though. I just know we do have an 8.4" ring gear.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
This website will give you an idea of what it takes to do the install
http://www.gearinstalls.com/max.htm

backlash is a measurement of the clearance between the ring and pinion gears
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
not a problem man. I'm not sure if you have an 8" ring gear though. I just know we do have an 8.4" ring gear.
My understanding is that the rear ends are exactly the same, with the exception of the gear ratios. Does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
This website will give you an idea of what it takes to do the install
http://www.gearinstalls.com/max.htm

backlash is a measurement of the clearance between the ring and pinion gears
Crazy good info, thanks for that bud.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Not at all. As long as the ring gears are the same you should be fine.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #20

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Crazy good info, thanks for that bud.