Notices

bigger wheels and tires on a 5 lug?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
SuperchargedFX is on a distinguished road
Name: Jericho
SuperchargedFX's Tacoma Gallery
bigger wheels and tires on a 5 lug?

Hey guys just wondering if you have pics of a 5 lugger on 16-17" rims with somewhat bigger tires with out a lift? I want to buy some bigger rims and tires but i don't know if it would look decent without a lift first because our trucks are a little lower.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDogg311 View Post
heres a pic of mine ... but my wheels are 15's

Nice doesn't look bad at all...here's mine i really want new rims and tires, the ones in the pic came with the taco when i bought it a few months back
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: RM/ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Are you off road status or street status?

Kinda hard to tell what you're going for.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
well I'm street status and would like to try off-roading but with a 2wd not much
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedFX View Post
well I'm street status and would like to try off-roading but with a 2wd not much
Well, are you trying to put 17's on it or 20's on it. I suppose I should have asked that in the first place.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
lol well for now im thinking 16-17 range while stock height but with a small lift will the 16-17 look to small?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedFX View Post
lol well for now im thinking 16-17 range while stock height but with a small lift will the 16-17 look to small?
Won't look too small, depending on what tires you have.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Too tell you the truth kdoggs setup is exactly what I was looking for but with 16's .. How big of the tires can you go stock height with 16's...sorry for the newb questions
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Headcase is on a distinguished road
Marines: CDI, JAFFO
Name: Mitchell
Headcase's Tacoma Gallery
Just put on (4) P245/70R-17 FIRESTONE DESTINATION A/T's. The rims are 6 spoke aluminum 17 x 7's from a 2007 Rav4. Fit perfect.

1- mod: Under the fenderwell trim is a bolted in piece of metal (3 small bolts). It appears that the only reason it is there is that some group of engineering numbskulls decided that there needed to be a plastic tab available to provide support in the fenderwells inner most portion if someone wanted to put on front mudflaps. WooHoo! So lets crate a bolted in piece of metal!!! Can't come up with any other reason...I can just imagine the guy who engineered that piece of useless metal.

Anyway, I took that out of both sides on my taco and I have no turning radius problems, rebound problems, or any any other. Plus I get that what-the-f*** is that a 4wd?? or what?? look from everybody seeing my ride. It lifted my about 3.75 inches.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Just wanted to let people know about that annoying little metal limitation that prevents 5-lug Tacos from getting bigger meats.

Don't have all the digital camera stuff. Guess I'm Low speed High drag when it comes to computer stuff.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I put 235 75 r15 on my 08. I'll post pictures later, it looks better than the tiny original tires. No mods needed, even used stock rims. When I lift my truck I'll go up to 31's or 32's on 16" rims.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
thanks for the info guys...post those pics up! i want to see some different setups
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
here's one I have where you can see the back tire...
I'll take a good photo soon.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
245 70 R 17's on Aluminum 17x7 Rav 4 rims

[img][/img]
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I will putting a set of Destination A/Ts on tomorrow, will be going with a 225/75 over the 215/70. I've read so much about all the tires and this and that but the 5 lug crowd is a minorty.

There are a couple things I have concerns with.
-Possible loss of power. I'm not concerned with having enough power, the 2.7 will run a 4x4, just if I notice any loss. I'm hoping nothing major in this area as I'm not going quite as big as some others,

-Really wondering about alignment. Has anyone had any negative effects to their alignment or trying to get an alignment with slightly bigger tires? I'm hoping that I can just go by stock specs when setting the alignment since I'm not doing anything drastic.

-Braking force. My LEs weight 23 Lbs, the A/Ts weigh 30. 28 added pounds to the rotating weight. Ease up a little earlier, so I'm not stopping it all with the brakes?

-MPGs will take some kind of hit. Just wonder what kind.

- I have read about people enjoying their handling a little more with slightly bigger tires.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I will putting a set of Destination A/Ts on tomorrow, will be going with a 225/75 over the 215/70. I've read so much about all the tires and this and that but the 5 lug crowd is a minorty.

There are a couple things I have concerns with.
-Possible loss of power. I'm not concerned with having enough power, the 2.7 will run a 4x4, just if I notice any loss. I'm hoping nothing major in this area as I'm not going quite as big as some others,

-Really wondering about alignment. Has anyone had any negative effects to their alignment or trying to get an alignment with slightly bigger tires? I'm hoping that I can just go by stock specs when setting the alignment since I'm not doing anything drastic.

-Braking force. My LEs weight 23 Lbs, the A/Ts weigh 30. 28 added pounds to the rotating weight. Ease up a little earlier, so I'm not stopping it all with the brakes?

-MPGs will take some kind of hit. Just wonder what kind.

- I have read about people enjoying their handling a little more with slightly bigger tires.
My 5 lug had 30x9.5 Destination A/T's on it when I bought it. That's 2 inches larger in diameter than the 225/75. You might have a slight power loss, but in my experience (after going up to 31's) the computer is able to adjust some to compensate. I don't think you'll feel too much difference. You shouldn't have any problems with alignment or brakes. I just changed my OEM pads and rotors a couple months ago at probably 90 something thousand miles. MPG will suffer some. I was getting 22-23 with the 30" and 21-22 with the 31" tires. More than likely your's will not suffer as much. Your speedo and odometer will be slightly off so adjust accordingly. The tire size calculator is your friend.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #18
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase View Post
Looks good! Do you have a larger pic?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #19
I'm pulling down 25.7 mpg highway with the 245 70 R 17's.

Getting ready to do the air filter mod and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #20
Sorry about the size of the Pic...just figuring out all of this image stuff. I'll see what I can do to get ya a larger one.

Products Discussed in this Thread