Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Thinking about painting stock rims?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about painting stock rims?

I figure black rims all look the same for the most part. Anybody have any luck or pics of their painted stock 15's
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
JMCTacoma is on a distinguished road
JMCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod90 View Post
I figure black rims all look the same for the most part. Anybody have any luck or pics of their painted stock 15's
Just did these two days ago
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about painting stock rims?-img_0009.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the pic. How did you do it? Did you just spray paint them or what? Sorry noob here
Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Follow This Thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html

Im a noob as well, and this was pretty easy to follow, just got my tacoma two weeks ago!! Good Luck, I used Rust Oleum flat black
Old 11-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
just did this last weekend. looks great, just used degreasing cleanser, then sanded it down with 400grit paper, then used VHT Epoxy , it came out AWESOME.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
aggiepack is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
aggiepack's Tacoma Gallery
Joben7726 those look great! i want to see how they look on a super white taco. i'm painting the badges black this weekend but i think i'll hold off and see whether it looks good (imo of course) or not. Joben7726/JMCTacoma think you guys can post some pics of your trucks now?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I did "Storm Grey" on mine. (+ black center caps and 225/75/15 tires)
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about painting stock rims?-100_0395.jpg   Thinking about painting stock rims?-100_0398.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine 6 months ago. Very easy mod, just time consuming if you do it properly. If you search around you will find a lot of threads on how to do it, every one has slightly different steps.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
That looks better than the black IMO.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiepack View Post
Joben7726 those look great! i want to see how they look on a super white taco. i'm painting the badges black this weekend but i think i'll hold off and see whether it looks good (imo of course) or not. Joben7726/JMCTacoma think you guys can post some pics of your trucks now?
Here are some pics for ya
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about painting stock rims?-img_0011.jpg   Thinking about painting stock rims?-img_0012.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Back in the old days

Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #12

Thanks for all the pics. So did you guys just do one side of the truck at a time? Or did you put the truck on blocks for a day until the paint was dry
Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I did the whole truck at once. Just put it on jack stands.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice

Name: Gaston
2010whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking about doing this mod as well, but I might try that plastic dip stuff so if I dont like it I can just peel it off.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
That looks better than the black IMO.
Black rims with black everything else was a little to much for me. I like black, but even I can admit when it's to much. Plus I wanted to do something a little different than black, lots of people have done that.

I was honestly going for something that looked a little more like the FJ TRD rims.

I am very pleased with the way these turned out. The truck looks so much better and then adding the new tires on top if really makes sit a lot better and look more aggressive.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
sorry guys, i havent been on this thread in a few days, i posted some new pics on my profile, it looks great! any questions, feel free to PM me
Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what brand of paint did you use for the "storm grey"? i want to paint mine a darker color but not really liking the way black looks.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
what brand of paint did you use for the "storm grey"? i want to paint mine a darker color but not really liking the way black looks.
Duplicolor..they offer a bunch of cans of Brand specific colors. It's the GM Storm Grey.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Duplicolor..they offer a bunch of cans of Brand specific colors. It's the GM Storm Grey.
i hate to say it but that was just a little bit obvious. thanks for the info. now another reason to look at all the cars i see everyday.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #20
pyro13g will become famous soon enoughpyro13g will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Painted my black with Cheap Epoxy Paint from Advanced auto... I used some painters tape and got it done cheap and it looks great!