Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Wet behind the ears

Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Rconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rconectn's Tacoma Gallery
Wet behind the ears

I've never really worked on automobiles before, never had the urge to, until now. I just turned 33 and I just purchased my first truck and it's a Tacoma regular cab 4x2, It doesn't even have automatic windows. For some reason I'm getting the itch to modify it. It just seems the natural thing to do. I never really considered myself mechanically inclined, I was always worried I would break something or not be able to put it back the way I found it silly I know, but I guess it's never to late to learn.

One thing I've learned is not be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly it may seem, that's the best way to learn so...

I want to lift my Tacoma and try it myself, but since this seems like a major job I'm having second thoughts. What do you guys think of someone who has never really fixed a car trying to install the lift kit on my Tacoma? Yea or nay? Also what is 18" cheater pipe? I read that in another thread that it was a good idea to have that if you are planing to do the lift in the backyard. Can you guys tell I'm wet behind the ears
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
For the suspension upgrade I would say nay on doing it yourself. Maybe you have a friend that know his stuff that can teach you?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Something I was told when i first bought my truck....

Look at the worst possible case scenario that could happen if you fuck up a mod. If you can live with that, then do it. If not, wait and have someone else help you out.

It's served me well

Happy modding.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
cohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cullen
cohrmundt's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cohrmundt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post

Look at the worst possible case scenario that could happen if you fuck up a mod. If you can live with that, then do it. If not, wait and have someone else help you out.

It's served me well

Happy modding.
X2

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I second what these guys are saying. It might be a good idea to start with the simpler stuff like changing your own oil, filters, etc. as a way to become familiar with your truck. Do research and ask as many questions as you need to before doing a major mod.

Oh and a cheater bar is usually a section of metal pipe that can be slipped over the handle of a socket wrench or breaker bar so that you have more leverage when trying to loosen a stuck bolt or nut.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Working on a truck can be intimidating at first. I would start small. There is a youtube video showing how to install the ReadyLift kit on our 5-lugs. It shows everything you need to do step by step for the front and back. The good thing about our 5-lugs is that they are new, which is the best time to mod a vehicle when the bolts havn't had time to seize.

Cheater bars are just a pipe to extend a wrench/socket/breaker bar, they are nice but don't get crazy because eventually if the bolt doesn't turn...it will break.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Newb View Post
Working on a truck can be intimidating at first. I would start small. There is a youtube video showing how to install the ReadyLift kit on our 5-lugs. It shows everything you need to do step by step for the front and back. The good thing about our 5-lugs is that they are new, which is the best time to mod a vehicle when the bolts havn't had time to seize.

Cheater bars are just a pipe to extend a wrench/socket/breaker bar, they are nice but don't get crazy because eventually if the bolt doesn't turn...it will break.
IMO, you should start major MODs once the warranty is up on a truck. The dealership will void some warranties because of some MOD done to the truck.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Rconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rconectn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it! I'll start small like,changing the oil, putting sliders, and possible a bull bar; the lift I'll leave to my mechanic. I spoke to him and he said he could do it, maybe he can let me see how he does it.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
IMO, you should start major MODs once the warranty is up on a truck. The dealership will void some warranties because of some MOD done to the truck.
That's a good point. That is kind of what is holding me back on mine. If I don't lift it soon, I am at least going to get some 235's in a more aggressive tread than these crap Dunlops... I would also like to dump my exhaust and take the mud flaps off but none of that is really major. Good point about the warranty.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post

It's served me well

Happy modding.

exactly what I do all the time, Im not afraid to call that tow truck if I have too !!!!