LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 Lug Plus One Upgrade - I need some rubbah!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
DrWang is on a distinguished road
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
Talking 5 Lug Plus One Upgrade - I need some rubbah!

Hello fellow 5-luggers,

I just picked up these Highlander 16" alloys used and now I am shopping for some new tires. Any suggestions?

My original Taco rims were the 15" steelies and tires were 215/70/15.

I don't offroad but I do a lot of highway and country road driving. I was thinking of getting tires a bit bigger but not too big because I like my fuel economy (25mpgs!) and accurate speedometer.

According to the tire size calculator, the closest match to stock would be
215/65/16 but I was thinking perhaps 225/70/16? (lots of choices in that size)

Also, any recommendations on the tires? I've been looking at Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S and some of the Goodyear fuel efficiency tires (Assurance Fuel Max) but don't know if the latter would be appropriate for a light truck?

Finally, anyone have TPMS issues with Toyota alloys? Not sure if these rims have TPMS sensors in them? I don't like the idea of buying new sensors so I may just go without and disable the dash light?

Thanks everyone! It's been hard to find info on 5 lug wheels/tires.

Brian
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
I can't answer all the questions but I can answer one about the Geolander AT/S tires. I had a set on a Ford Ranger I drove at work and I was impressed. We drive a lot(around 100 miles a day average, sometimes close to 300) and also drive off road through yards/dirt/some mud daily. I treat lakes and ponds for a living, so we are also pulling a heavy treatment boat. These tires did pretty well. We only replaced the rear two because the fronts were still fine. They were great on and off road, they pulled me and the boat out on grass/dirt up steep grades pretty well. I only had a month or so with these tires though, I ended up rolling this particular Ranger in October...was a very bad day! I would definately recommend these tires for a light truck.

As far as TPMS goes, others should be able to help. I am a newb to TPMS and really Tacoma's in general.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Damn DrWang, you got the rims I'm looking for. Where did you get those from? I've been looking on ebay and craigslist, but nothing local. Found sets of reconditioned wheels for around $500 from HubcapHaven.com. I'm thinking of going with 235/70/16. I had good luck with Cooper ATRs on my 94 SR5.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses!

ISUGrad, I got the rims from Craigslist for $200! I've been looking for a couple of months searching CL with the phrase "Highlander rims" and "RAV4 rims". I'm realizing there are some complications though. I just ordered new lug nuts and I didn't really do my homework on other stuff like TPMS. It appears that I will have to disable it or find another work around because I'm not going to pay for new sensors (I'm not sure if my steel TPMS sensors will work in the new alloys).

As for tires, I'm having internal conflict with keeping the stock overall diameter the same - 215/65/16 or going up to something like 225/70/16. The only thing holding me back from going bigger is the pretty good gas mileage I get (25 mpg).
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
WWUE30 is on a distinguished road
WWUE30's Tacoma Gallery
what size tire did you end up going with?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up going with Michelin HydroEdge 215/65/16. My fuel economy has definitely taken a hit down to 23.5mpg (although that could be winter gas?). So I'm glad I went with the smaller tire. I'll admit, it doesn't fill out the wheel well as much as I would like but its fine. But now that gas is approaching $4/gal in Cali I'm glad I didn't go with something bigger.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
WWUE30's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info! Do you have a photo of your Tacoma with your new wheels/tires? I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing with my truck. I'm really tired of looking at the OEM steel wheels. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
DrWang's Tacoma Gallery
I'm out of town right now but when I get back, I'll post some pics. Feel free to remind me too, I only hit up TW once in awhile.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
WWUE30's Tacoma Gallery
when you get a chance, could you post a picture of your Tacoma with your new highlander wheels? Thanks!