Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Is an Axle Swap Possible?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
pyro13g will become famous soon enoughpyro13g will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Is an Axle Swap Possible?

I have an 07 Tacoma 5-lugger and I was thinking of swapping the axle for a six lugger axle that way i can have the axle under the leave springs, get a better gear ratio for my bigger tires and I think all i would need to do is get the proper ubolts and mounts as well as new shocks and just hook it up....

Has anyone tired this and is it even possible? It seems to be cheaper than me getting the rear diff re-geared
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
I have an 07 Tacoma 5-lugger and I was thinking of swapping the axle for a six lugger axle that way i can have the axle under the leave springs, get a better gear ratio for my bigger tires and I think all i would need to do is get the proper ubolts and mounts as well as new shocks and just hook it up....

Has anyone tired this and is it even possible? It seems to be cheaper than me getting the rear diff re-geared

Did you forget about the two new rims you're going to need?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
why not just regear to whatever you want. your 3.15 now just go up to 4.10 or 4.56
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
And regearing should be cheaper than all that other stuff.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Plus theres a reason everybody converts to Spring under axle.... Just get a new leaf pack and stay that way.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Plus theres a reason everybody converts to Spring under axle.... Just get a new leaf pack and stay that way.

Uh...if they're going LT. Some of us don't have the remotest interest in LT activities. What if the OP's a crawler?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Uh...if they're going LT. Some of us don't have the remotest interest in LT activities. What if the OP's a crawler?
but lets consider he has a 2wd 5 lug
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
yeah being that hes a 5 lug I doubt that he is a crawler. I first hand know that even if locked locked 2wd doesnt crawl well enough to build the truck to do that.

Other than LT the benefits of SUA include less axle wrap, who doesnt want that? Personally im not a fan of my rear end catching up with me after I come to a stop....
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
and I'm not a fan of hanging up my leafsprings on the rocks and shearing ubolts off

But yeah to the OP, it should work out to be cheaper to just do the re-gear unless you can pull an axle and rims off another truck for very cheap
Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
yeah being that hes a 5 lug I doubt that he is a crawler. I first hand know that even if locked locked 2wd doesnt crawl well enough to build the truck to do that.

Other than LT the benefits of SUA include less axle wrap, who doesnt want that? Personally im not a fan of my rear end catching up with me after I come to a stop....
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
and I'm not a fan of hanging up my leafsprings on the rocks and shearing ubolts off

SUA has its advantages. So does SOA. Depends on what you want to do with your truck. Just pointing out that not "everyone" converts to SUA.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Duck Killing Machine

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
true its not for everybody but If you hang up your leafs on a 2wd chances are your gonna be stuck. Probably why ive never had a problem with my SUA, I dont drive it like a 4wd. I may be LT but mostly thats because I was sick of breaking the crappy 1st gen 5 lug suspension, not because I run the desert and not forest roads. In fact my truck sees far more trails than high speed stuff.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #12

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
SUA

Thanks Guys! Im not a Crawler, I do a lot of off roading and Im tired of having a low stance and a cheap way to get some lift would be to go SUA plus the gearing would be better in a 6-Lug axle than mine. I was doing some research and found that most places wanted to charge me a minimum of $250 for the labor and another $300 for parts. I think this is too high and i could swap axles for cheaper im sure. But on the other hand swapping axles could run into some issues which would most likely cause me more money in the end....

Ill just do a re-gear... so would 4.30 be a good ratio?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ill just do a re-gear... so would 4.30 be a good ratio?
What size tires?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #14

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
tires

30 x 9.5x 15 and im looking to upgrade in the future to 31's
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
30 x 9.5x 15 and im looking to upgrade in the future to 31's
it took me a few days but i found what i was looking for. if anyone's word is to be taken as gospel when it's 5luggers it would be neslerrah.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ml#post2233903
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
it took me a few days but i found what i was looking for. if anyone's word is to be taken as gospel when it's 5luggers it would be neslerrah.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ml#post2233903
and he'll tell you just to regear.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTaco View Post
X2 or 3 or whatever . . .

http://www.marlincrawler.com/differe...troit-equipped

quick n easy, no muss no fuss.
what gear ratio and axle size did you choose? Can the install be done on your own?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
avidoffroad.com

McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I plan on doing 4:56 with Lock Right lockers These are easy (toyota axles) because they are like the Ford rear ends. The whole pumpkin come out the front side. You can buy them aleready set up. You don't NEED to do the shimming and dial indicater thing.
When my '89 Toyota munched the ring & Pinion, I was able to find the pumkin for 100 bucks, 4:56 with detroit lockers and did it in the dirt, ha ha .
so it'll cost $1,300 to re-gear and another how much to lock?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
avidoffroad.com

McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The link is for Detroit lockers and I believe the price include BOTH gears and lockers. lock-rights are cheaper. 899 all together
http://www.marlincrawler.com/differe...right-equipped
so our axle type is the last 8.4"?

and still, total is about $1200.

The total chaos LT kit is $707 but it doesn't include shocks.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
avidoffroad.com

McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
i think it'll be more important to re-gear and lock first. I heard that the detroit true tracks is a better locker for street and off road use and only for a couple bucks more. And buying everything separate and using the old 3rd member saves money.