1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pulling a trailer with a lifted 5 lugger

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by chickentruck, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    chickentruck

chickentruck [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    5 lug sr5
    trannycooler, vent visor, 5k hitch, performance green drop in filter, prefilter removed,fat bobs lift, air freshener
    This is an interesting place for been there done that info that has helped me quite a bit looking into liftin my 5 lug auto. I have done a simliar lift on my gen 1 Tundra years ago. Loved that truck by the way. Just chicken with my little 4banger though. I had an old 82 toy truck that didnt like the 31s in fifth gear at all. big difference I know but I do tow a trailer quite often for fire wood and such. I dont want to kill my power going to big in the wheels. Thinking 30x9.5 r15 or 245/75r16. Is there anyone that has went from 30s to 31s that try to pull a 3000 pound trailer with a 5 lug?[​IMG]

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    Can't give you an exact answer but I have also heard of significant power drop with stock gears and 31's. I think you can pull a 3K trailer but a trailer and bigger/heavier tires you will be putting a lot more strain on your trans. I guess you could add a trans. cooler and that may help?

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    Siebler

Siebler Duck Killing Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 Long Travel 5 lug, 01 Tundra 4wd
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, sliders, bed cage
    Youll probably want to Regear. I pull around my skiff and my work trailer, neither are near 3000lbs Id say. I run 31's and its fine. Ran 30's before I was regeared and it struggled a little bit (again my trailers are lighter though). I am the 2.4l

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    chickentruck

chickentruck [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    5 lug sr5
    trannycooler, vent visor, 5k hitch, performance green drop in filter, prefilter removed,fat bobs lift, air freshener
    thanks kinda what I was thinking. 3000 is the heaviest I have pulled. 2000 is more normal because I bought a trailer with that capacity so I wouldnt always overload the truck. less weight just more trips.
    I already have tranny cooler. First time I pulled a load when moving, going up a big hill and the light came on for a few seconds. So before I pulled again I installed an extra cooler. never been a prob since.

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    get a tranny cooler for sure and you should be fine. It is the braking that is important.

Products Discussed in

To Top