Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

pulling a trailer with a lifted 5 lugger

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
chickentruck is on a distinguished road

chickentruck's Tacoma Gallery
pulling a trailer with a lifted 5 lugger

This is an interesting place for been there done that info that has helped me quite a bit looking into liftin my 5 lug auto. I have done a simliar lift on my gen 1 Tundra years ago. Loved that truck by the way. Just chicken with my little 4banger though. I had an old 82 toy truck that didnt like the 31s in fifth gear at all. big difference I know but I do tow a trailer quite often for fire wood and such. I dont want to kill my power going to big in the wheels. Thinking 30x9.5 r15 or 245/75r16. Is there anyone that has went from 30s to 31s that try to pull a 3000 pound trailer with a 5 lug?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Can't give you an exact answer but I have also heard of significant power drop with stock gears and 31's. I think you can pull a 3K trailer but a trailer and bigger/heavier tires you will be putting a lot more strain on your trans. I guess you could add a trans. cooler and that may help?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Youll probably want to Regear. I pull around my skiff and my work trailer, neither are near 3000lbs Id say. I run 31's and its fine. Ran 30's before I was regeared and it struggled a little bit (again my trailers are lighter though). I am the 2.4l
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
chickentruck is on a distinguished road

chickentruck's Tacoma Gallery
thanks kinda what I was thinking. 3000 is the heaviest I have pulled. 2000 is more normal because I bought a trailer with that capacity so I wouldnt always overload the truck. less weight just more trips.
I already have tranny cooler. First time I pulled a load when moving, going up a big hill and the light came on for a few seconds. So before I pulled again I installed an extra cooler. never been a prob since.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
get a tranny cooler for sure and you should be fine. It is the braking that is important.