Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Determining Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric

Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Apfrank2008 is on a distinguished road
Apfrank2008's Tacoma Gallery
Determining Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric

How do you determine if your wheels are hub-centric or lug-centric? I have a 98' Taco 2WD and am looking to purchase wheel spacers. I've heard that hub-centric is the way to go but don't your wheels need to support that?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by JEGS that my truck is lug centric and have lug centric wheels for it sitting in the garage. I need to get them test fitted to make sure they'll work. I'll post back with results
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
AlexA is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
AlexA's Tacoma Gallery
i have lug centric on my 2010 5 lug
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How can you really tell by looking at it? I mean there is a hub that fits perfectly into the center bore but with the conical lugs it seems like the lugs would center it too...
Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
lug centric.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfrank2008 View Post
How do you determine if your wheels are hub-centric or lug-centric? I have a 98' Taco 2WD and am looking to purchase wheel spacers. I've heard that hub-centric is the way to go but don't your wheels need to support that?
Wheels / rims (in and of themselves) aren't hub- or lug-centric at all.

Hub-centric / lug-centric refers to the fitment between a wheel and a particular vehicle's hub. It has to do with the fit-up relationship between wheel and hub - not with either one by itself.

If the wheel's centerbore closely corresponds to the hub diameter (in your case - 67.1mm) the wheel fits snugly on the hub. The hub is weight-bearing and ensures the wheel is centered when it's mounted. This fitment is 'hub-centric', because the hub centers the wheel.

If the wheel's centerbore is too large to fit snugly on the hub, the lugs / studs have to bear the weight and centering must be done by adjusting the fit-up on the lugs. This fitment is 'lug-centric', because centering is done with the lugs.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Resident Big mouthed Fat ass.
kingbrian is a jewel in the roughkingbrian is a jewel in the roughkingbrian is a jewel in the roughkingbrian is a jewel in the rough
Name: brian
kingbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
Wheels / rims (in and of themselves) aren't hub- or lug-centric at all.

Hub-centric / lug-centric refers to the fitment between a wheel and a particular vehicle's hub. It has to do with the fit-up relationship between wheel and hub - not with either one by itself.

If the wheel's centerbore closely corresponds to the hub diameter (in your case - 67.1mm) the wheel fits snugly on the hub. The hub is weight-bearing and ensures the wheel is centered when it's mounted. This fitment is 'hub-centric', because the hub centers the wheel.

If the wheel's centerbore is too large to fit snugly on the hub, the lugs / studs have to bear the weight and centering must be done by adjusting the fit-up on the lugs. This fitment is 'lug-centric', because centering is done with the lugs.
x2 on what he said after many years slingin tires, this is the truth. Basically its how the wheel fits. lets just say my buddy had some wheels on his jeep, and they were hub centric on his jeep. So i bought those wheels from him for my truck. Now on my truck they are lug centric.. Not a big deal, just the way it fits my vehicle to his... As long as THEY DO FIT.