Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

2 wheelin in the snow

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up 2 wheelin in the snow

We just got our first measurable snowfall in south central Kansas, 3 inches overnight. I know that is not much compared to the storms I'm used to in the upper Midwest, but it is more than enough to make people freak-out down here.

I had zero problems driving into work considering no plows have been out on the roads yet. I put 250 pounds of sandbags in the bed to keep some weight over the wheels. Turning the Auto LSD on to take off from a stop and turning it off and letting the VCS kick back in after I get rolling works like a dream. The VCS seems to do a great job of keeping the truck from sliding around. Of course I was not driving aggressively and giving myself plenty of following distance as you should in the snow. Only thing this 5-lug needs to improve handling is a set of 235 width tires with decent tread.

While I miss my 94 4x4 SR5, I just couldn't justify keeping 3 vehicles. The wife has the all wheel drive Honda CRV if we need to take any long trips in the snow. All in all if you do not do any serious off roading the 5-lug with a modern traction control system seems to fit my needs just fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
We too just received some new snow. We have 4"-11" depending on where you live.
I went from 4" at the house to 6" + at the office. I too only have 2WD with the Traction Control and Locking Diff. I used the Traction Control only and no extra weight. I just took it nice and slow. The Dodge Full Size was fish tailing it at the exit but I pulled right on through. I love this truck.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Same here...no issues with 2wd.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
HogTaco is a jewel in the roughHogTaco is a jewel in the roughHogTaco is a jewel in the rough

HogTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Chevy 1500 in front of me this a.m. fishtailed both ways trying to pull away from the light. The Auto LSD made it easy for me, even with no weight in back. Thumbs up for 2WD in the snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
hahah about 3 weeks ago we got 8" in bosie, which really is no problem because everyone and their dog has a truck in idaho. But my 99' 2wd has about...ZERO driver aids (i also have 150lbs of sand but i also have lo-pro street tires). So driving in 8" of unplowed snow through the neighborhoods was amazingly fun. I really felt like i was driving a boat. My truck was just hopping around, up and down, sliding side to side, and powering through the snow and it was like being on water.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
good to know, i havent really tested mine truck too hard in the snow but i plan on it tomorrow
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I took it out the night we got 25+inches in jersey. But it was cold and I did not want to be cold. But the next morning I went on somewhat plowed roads hitting spots of 10+ inches with no problems. Got my new 245's and 250lbs of sand in the back.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Public Servant Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderuosi View Post
Got my new 245's and 250lbs of sand in the back.
Are you running 245s on stock rims?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Public Servant Enemy #1

nm - just checked your wheel thread

bderuosi
Wheels: American racing Tactics 16x8, 12mm offset, 4.97 backspacing
Tires: Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 245/70 R16
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been driving mine around today in probably 4"-5" of snow... With NO VSC and NO auto-LSD and NO tread on the tires... it sucks. I can relate to the boat thing said above... I don't think my back wheels have been in line with the front all day. That being said, once I finally get going, it's fun as shit
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUGrad05 View Post
Only thing this 5-lug needs to improve handling is a set of 235 width tires with decent tread.
235s make a huge difference in all kinds of conditions.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
bills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura aboutbills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bill
bills yota 2wpeel's Tacoma Gallery
Cant wait to go blow donuts in some parking lot tommorrow with the ARB rear locker. I've got a good feel for it after last week.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I was doing donuts all over the place tonight! Then I drove home without an issue. We probably have about 4-5" on the ground so far and it's still going strong.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
just backed out of my driveway and went over bumper height snow with no problem what so ever. After this winter and snow I am more than confident my 2wd Taco will serve my needs for a long time.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
Still haven't managed to make the VSC system "beep" at me. Maybe I have too many good habits from growing up in Canada.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Public Servant Enemy #1

LOL. Every time I take the corner to go up my drive way in the snow it beeps at me. Anyone know how to disable the beeping?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
The few times I've done ice climbing in my '10, I've switched to "AUTO LSD" mode. Seems to get me better traction and there's no beeping.

IIRC the whole VSC/AUTO LSD thing is '09+.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefenator View Post
The few times I've done ice climbing in my '10, I've switched to "AUTO LSD" mode. Seems to get me better traction and there's no beeping.

IIRC the whole VSC/AUTO LSD thing is '09+.
This. If the snow has just fallen and it's nasty out, just hit that button to go into the auto lsd mode. It really seems to react quicker and more efficiently. If I can ever get some 235's it will be awesome but the way it looks, the snow will be gone by the time that ever happens lol.