1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibrations and such

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Mt Taco, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jan 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    Mt Taco

Mt Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 5 lug
    so far just 30 inch a/ts on 17s. 10 inch sub behind passenger seat.
    Hello everyone, my names Derek and I recently got a 2010 tacoma. It didnt take long for me to catch the bug to start fixing her up, and with your help I decided to get some 30" geolander A/Ts on some 17's.
    tires_943ed0a4cc932b7e0101dfdfdae5b1bac82a845f.jpg
    On with the topic at hand. I have noticed a lot of vibrations from the time I got the truck especially off road and am wondering what solutions are available (if any). It mainly happens when I give it a little too much gas and the tires lose traction. It seems like the wheels start hopping a lot and the shifter starts flailing around. being a regular cab 4 cyl I can see why it would be built or comfort rather tan off road but I would prefer a much stiffer ride. Thanks in advance or helping out a newb such as myself.

2. Jan 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Happens to me all the time. The shifter fumbles around because your drivetrain is moving and swaying. Since you have a 5 lug your already SUA so the wheel hope is just that, traction loss...try to deflate your tires to 10-20psi for wheeling. The added traction should help out with the take off traction and be easy on the skinny.

3. Jan 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    Mt Taco

Mt Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 5 lug
    Do they make more solid engine/transmission mounts for our trucks? I havent been able to find anything

4. Jan 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Not that I know of. For the V6 6 speed manual they have a TSB (toyota service bulletin) for it but nothing for our trucks that I know of. I would really like something though.

5. Jan 11, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    ISUGrad05

ISUGrad05 Public Servant Enemy #1

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 5.7 Tundra DoubleCab
    hmm, maybe your tires are out of balance. I bought brand new tires one time and at 65 mph the car was hopping down the road. Took it back in and they forget to put weights on both the front wheels.

6. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Mt Taco

Mt Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 5 lug
    Found some universal polyurethane bushings.. doesnt seem like the best option, anyone have experience with these?

Also found these: http://4xinnovations.com/p-TCC1326.html

Basically solid transmission mount but of course they are for 1g 4wd models......

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    if you are offroad, you will get vibrations. Just go faster and the vibrations will lessen usually lol. Make sure nothing is loose underneath your truck.

There is no need to change your engine or tranny mounts unless you are racing. If you change them, your whole truck will shake like crazy and is super annoying.

8. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Mt Taco

Mt Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 5 lug
    Ha yea more speed helps! The vibrations have subsided some with the bigger tires I have on there now, since I dont have to put my foot in the gas as heavy to avoid getting stuck. It was mainly wheel hopping I was feeling.
    As far as the transmission mounts I think i'll stick with stock, its not doing any harm the way it is so ill save my money for a toolbox and some other stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top