Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Rough ride

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Logan89 is on a distinguished road
Logan89's Tacoma Gallery
Rough ride

I have a 2009 acces cab with the readylift and 265/65/17 tires and the ride is very rough. I have rancho shocks in the rear and the stock shocks in the front. Is there anything I can do to make it ride a little smoother? Is everyone else's ride this rough with the lift?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the fat bobs garage lift in mine, it's esentially the same lift. I know everyone puts 5100's on their 4x4s, but they don't make them for the 2nd gen 5 lugs. My ride is not good as stock, but definetely not rough. I want a better lift too.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
maybe get aftermarket shocks for the front, i know bilstein actually makes some for our trucks
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
maybe get aftermarket shocks for the front, i know bilstein actually makes some for our trucks
I am researching shocks right now. I also read that Xrunner shocks will fit our 2nd gen Tacomas but there are not many options for X Runner shocks.

Maybe we need to start a 5 lug suspension thread.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
I am researching shocks right now. I also read that Xrunner shocks will fit our 2nd gen Tacomas but there are not many options for X Runner shocks.

yeah we could haha and maybe get it stickied..

but yes the xrunner shocks fit our trucks, nesselerah has some front shocks that are for our truck, ill go look it up

EDIT: here is the link from nesselerahs build. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...mpaign=Default

here is a link to what is available from tirerack

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...=2wd&brand=all
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A+++ to starting a lift thread for our trucks. It is just a complete mystery to me that they dont make a 5100 adjustable shock for the 5 lug. WTF
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #7

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
A+++ to starting a lift thread for our trucks. It is just a complete mystery to me that they dont make a 5100 adjustable shock for the 5 lug. WTF
yeah it sucks, but really, a lot of people that buy 5luggers dont plan on modding it, most of the time our trucks are bought for fleet vehicles or just because someone wants a truck but doesnt want to spend a lot on

it seems like there are a lot of people that want to lift them on here but thats why we are here, because we want to do that stuff haha. now i dont know the geometry difference between our suspension and 6 lug suspension so i cant speak about the technical stuff
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
yeah it sucks, but really, a lot of people that buy 5luggers dont plan on modding it, most of the time our trucks are bought for fleet vehicles or just because someone wants a truck but doesnt want to spend a lot on

it seems like there are a lot of people that want to lift them on here but thats why we are here, because we want to do that stuff haha. now i dont know the geometry difference between our suspension and 6 lug suspension so i cant speak about the technical stuff
I definitely didn't plan on lifting when I bought my truck, 5 years later I lifted it and put 30s on it. Seems like lifting our trucks is real popular though, almost everday someone is posting a thread asking questions about this.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #10

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
yeah at first i was actually gonna go lower, but once i saw one lifted i changed my mind, but im in stafford
Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Logan89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTaco View Post
those Ranchos will make your ride rougher you know. I got fat bobs too and I am switching to Rancho 9000 adjustables eventually cause I haul loads on mine and don't care about the ride that much
Yes it is very noticable. Bilstein does make HD shocks for the rear too, do you think those would be better even with the lift?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan89 View Post
Yes it is very noticable. Bilstein does make HD shocks for the rear too, do you think those would be better even with the lift?
Just make sure you get the rear shocks made for a stock 6 lug. They will have the extra length you need to accommodate for the lift.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Logan89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Just make sure you get the rear shocks made for a stock 6 lug. They will have the extra length you need to accommodate for the lift.
I was thinkng that too but wasn't sure if they would fit.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

but yes the xrunner shocks fit our trucks, nesselerah has some front shocks that are for our truck, ill go look it up

EDIT: here is the link from nesselerahs build. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...mpaign=Default

THX for the info. I would tend to stay away from the KYB option because on one of the car forums I belong to KYB does make replacement shocks but most of the guys perfer Monroe. Seems the KYB shocks did not last all that long and the Monroe out performed them when cornering.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan89 View Post
I was thinkng that too but wasn't sure if they would fit.
Yes they will fit just fine. If you run stock 5-lug shocks you won't have very much up travel in the rear and the ride will be rough.

I'm running bilstien HD shocks all around with the fat bob's lift. Up front are the HD struts for the 5-lug, and in the rear are HD shocks for the 6 lug. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but not bad at all. You could probably run the 5100's in the rear if you wanted, I'm not sure how well they would pair with the HD's up front.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Yes they will fit just fine. If you run stock 5-lug shocks you won't have very much up travel in the rear and the ride will be rough.

I'm running bilstien HD shocks all around with the fat bob's lift. Up front are the HD struts for the 5-lug, and in the rear are HD shocks for the 6 lug. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but not bad at all. You could probably run the 5100's in the rear if you wanted, I'm not sure how well they would pair with the HD's up front.
Do you find with your set up that the Tacoma tracks with a more solid feel in the turns. That is with less roll of the Tacoma to the outside of the turn?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #17

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I think it's better than stock. It still rolls slightly to the outside of the turn but it's better than without the lift IMO.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post

Quote:

XR runner shocks WILL fit but they are actually quite a bit stiffer than stock, and a tad bit shorter as well. And im not sure how they would do with the stock softer spring rate springs that come with the regular 5 lug
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
XR runner shocks WILL fit but they are actually quite a bit stiffer than stock, and a tad bit shorter as well. And im not sure how they would do with the stock softer spring rate springs that come with the regular 5 lug
Kelsom:
I was going to send you a PM about your set up. It looks like you have the Bilistein replacement shocks. Did they make your Tacoma track better thru turns and are you happy with them?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #20

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
yeah i thought i saw that on here somewhere, does that mean the rear XR shocks are shorter too?