Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Dechroming

Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
Dechroming

I would like to dechrome as much of my taco as possible for cheap. As of now I have the front grille, rear bumper, and badges all in factory chrome.

badges- I plan on debadging and painting them a flat black or mat black
grille- maybe buy one of these that is color matched for $175
bumper- that is where I am looking for some help

I don't know much in regards to stripping and painting it, I have a buddy that I may ask for help on that. I was just wondering if guys here have done anything with the chrome stock bumper. Maybe get a few pics of mods done to it.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...black-how.html
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
use plastidip. its cheap, quite durable and if you dont like it, you can peel it off

before

after

Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
you could also do bedliner for the bumper as well, i think that looks pretty good
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
That's funny because I just picked up some 2 sided 3M tape and semi flat black paint today to do the same thing. I need to grab some fishing line and masking tape and a good day to do it. I'm just doing the badges and front emblem since mine has a black grill with just the toyota emblem chrome. Wheels may be next, depending on how this color looks.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I think I am going to put off till it is not cold out anymore. I don't have an indoor workspace for the truck and I don't feel like freezing my balls off while working.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
you can also use plasti dip...idk how long it usually lasts though, but its a lot easier than taking off the badges and painting and putting them back on

EDIT: heres what someone posted a while back

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-required.html
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

the plasti dip seems easier for the emblems and it looks good, but I don't know how it would hold up on the bumper or the grille.

I was driving around the day and saw a red taco with a black grille, I was half tempted to pull over and offer a trade for my chrome grille haha. Anyone here have a black grille looking to trade?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #12

But I really like the new 2011 grille look, I know they went to just "black" with the new ones. Anyone know how far off this would look? Or if they have them unpainted?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #13

Got the new grille in today, looks good just needs some assembly and some clear coat. But it got me thinking, I think I am going to make a small project out of this and go with a grillecraft or satoshi DIY look. I'll take some time to check things out and do a write up at some point.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #14

Phase 1 was completed today while we had record highs of 70 in central Jersey!

Cleaned the entire truck. Debadged the doors, SR5, Toyota dealership decal, and Toyota above the Tacoma on the back. Then plasti diped the Tacoma on the back. Also cut down the stock antenna to cab hight. Still researching the satoshi grille but I think I am going to do an abs plastic approach not the traditional bondo and fiberglass. If all goes well I will do a complete write up for it. Pictures to come tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the plasti-dip on mine and it didn't work. I don't think the first gen badges are high profile enough to get the effect of the plasti-dip splitting at the edges and coming off cleanly from around the badge, they kinda "blend" into the paint smoothly instead of being "blocky"
I did use plasti-dip successfully on my grille, it's been on a few weeks and through the car wash once and hasn't peeled at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am planning on doing the bumper at some point but I think I'm gonna take off the lower valence and put on a light bar so I'll wait there until I have the valence gone. Still up in the air on painting the grille inserts