Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Mystery Black Boxes on 5-lug Double Cab?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Mystery Black Boxes on 5-lug Double Cab?

Just wondering if the new 5-lug double cab has those same mystery black boxes in the inner fender wells. I noticed that even though it is a 5 lug, it has the same overfenders as the Prerunner and 4x4. So maybe it also has the same inner fender liners as the Prerunner and 4x4 too. Anybody know?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Public Servant Enemy #1

well i don't own a 5 lug double cab, so sorry i cant post a pic... but here is a pic from another post on here that sort of shows what I'm talking about

and some from TN of the removal of these little bastards:
Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it's just some stupid plastic for protection of nothing? haha.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Public Servant Enemy #1

It is the bane of all 5 luggers who want to put larger tires on their trucks... does nothing but cause rubbing.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Public Servant Enemy #1

So does no one on this forum own a double cab 5-lugger yet?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I think there may be one guy on here who does, just not sure of his username. I saw a post last week where he was asking if someone had done an oil change on a 2nd gen 2.7 yet. The thread didn't go well.

Edit: Here's the thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...motor-yet.html

PM the OP and see if he'll look on his truck.

Ooops.......just noticed he has a Prerunner Double Cab 2.7, so he probably doesn't have the black boxes. Sorry
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
dcrawfo1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donny
dcrawfo1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 5 lug access cab and i took my inner fender out to remove this box and i believe i could run 31x10.5s if i want too. i have no idea what the box is for though. im running 30x9.5s right now on stock rims and no lift. never had any issues
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think theres such thing as a 5 lugger double cab you talking about access cabs?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
I dont think theres such thing as a 5 lugger double cab you talking about access cabs?
There is now
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
really? the 11 model?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yup

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=170855
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
buffel is on a distinguished road
buffel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I think there may be one guy on here who does, just not sure of his username. I saw a post last week where he was asking if someone had done an oil change on a 2nd gen 2.7 yet. The thread didn't go well.

Edit: Here's the thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...motor-yet.html

PM the OP and see if he'll look on his truck.

Ooops.......just noticed he has a Prerunner Double Cab 2.7, so he probably doesn't have the black boxes. Sorry

I have a 2012 2WD Double Cab 5 lugger 2.7L/4 Cylinder - which photos do you need?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
willie2 is on a distinguished road
willie2's Tacoma Gallery
They are data recorders that record speed,distance,cab conversation and a few other parameters to aid in the cause of crashes. Similar to flight data recorders on aircraft. One was recently recovered from a demolished tacoma in Texas. It was beat up so bad the only data that was recoverable was the last minute of the cab conversation.
It was "Just watch this!"
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie2 View Post
They are data recorders that record speed,distance,cab conversation and a few other parameters to aid in the cause of crashes. Similar to flight data recorders on aircraft. One was recently recovered from a demolished tacoma in Texas. It was beat up so bad the only data that was recoverable was the last minute of the cab conversation.
Really? I dont think they can legally record the in cab conversation, that is an invasion of privacy. however I was aware of a black box type recorder in our trucks that records speed, rpm, throttle position, shifted position and the like. Just not audio.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are talking about the event data recorder that's been in most Toyota models for a few years now. The black boxes in the fenderwells aren't it - they don't have wires feeding into them for power.

The EDR doesn't record in-cab sounds, just data from the vehicle's existing sensors (sensors which are normally used by ABS and VSC).
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are data recorders that record speed, distance, cab conversation and a few other parameters to aid in the cause of crashes. Similar to flight data recorders on aircraft. One was recently recovered from a demolished Tacoma in Texas. It was beat up so bad the only data that was recoverable was the last minute of the cab conversation. It was "Just watch this!"
"Just watch this" - famous last words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
Really? I dont think they can legally record the in cab conversation, that is an invasion of privacy. however I was aware of a black box type recorder in our trucks that records speed, rpm, throttle position, shifted position and the like. Just not audio.
It was a joke, Zack. Conversations in the cab are not recorded (yet). He just used that as a setup for his punch line.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LMFAO Nice one there!

Quote:
It depends on where you live. Some states allow recorded conversations as long as at least one person knows that it is being recorded. The "black box" that you are referring to is the SRS (Airbag) system, that uses the DERM to continually record and overwrite telemetry data, and then lock it in when a crash occurs. Each DERM can record up to 3 accidents that deploy any of the airbags. After those 3 recordings the DERM locks on the airbag light until the DERM is replaced with a new one. These DERMS have been a federal requirement for all manufacturers for over a decade, not just Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You are talking about the event data recorder that's been in most Toyota models for a few years now. The black boxes in the fenderwells aren't it - they don't have wires feeding into them for power.

The EDR doesn't record in-cab sounds, just data from the vehicle's existing sensors (sensors which are normally used by ABS and VSC).
Correct pretty much. They only record telemetry data for airbag deployment, such as speed, accelerator pedal angle, brake pedal position, seatbelt position (on or off), etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
"Just watch this" - famous last words.

It was a joke, Zack. Conversations in the cab are not recorded (yet). He just used that as a setup for his punch line.
Last famous words of a redneck right there!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
Public Servant Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie2

Quote: