Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Lift and shock suggestions

Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Lift and shock suggestions

I know theres threads already about lifts but I think if I just do the 2.5 or 2.75 coil spacers in the front I'll be good. I hate how my little truck looks front heavy. What do you think? Also, I am need of new shocks. Thinking ranch 5000s but wanted to see if there was anything out there better/cheaper?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Yes a spacer in front would level out your truck and make it looks nicer.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
I just ordered 2.75" spacers for the front. Gonna do probably a 1" AAL next week.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would stay away from Rancho or any other white body shock (Superlift, Skyjacker, Procomp). Stiff ride, poor quality, prone to leaking and other issues with those. Good quality shocks such as Bilstein and OME are a good investment in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ what he said & Stay away from spacers ur truck will ride like shit
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaCoULuV2Hate View Post
^^^ what he said & Stay away from spacers ur truck will ride like shit
Thanks for the backup on the shock comment but I have to disagree with your spacer comment. I have 2.25 inch Ready Lift spacers on my truck and the ride is exactly the same as before. How can a spacer make a truck ride poorly when all it does is push the a arms further away from the fenders. It does not preload the coil or affect the coil or shock valving in any way. Are some of you having a negative experience with poorly made spacers? If I had to rate my Ready Lift spacer / factory Bilstien combo I would have to give it a solid 10 out of 10 for my daily driving use. I haven't had this truck off road yet though.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
This is good to know...I'm kind of new to the lift thing. My last truck I just had paid a shop X amount of dollars for X amount of inches, and i'm wanting to do it myself on my taco but 705 can you explain what the differential drop is?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
You do not need a differential drop on your truck.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Zombie Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
You do not need a differential drop on your truck.
Thats right. The diff drop only applies to 4x4s. Its just a few hardware bits that lowers the front differential to slightly reduce the axle shaft angles. You dont have a front diff because you have a 2wd.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the backup on the shock comment but I have to disagree with your spacer comment. I have 2.25 inch Ready Lift spacers on my truck and the ride is exactly the same as before. How can a spacer make a truck ride poorly when all it does is push the a arms further away from the fenders. It does not preload the coil or affect the coil or shock valving in any way. Are some of you having a negative experience with poorly made spacers? If I had to rate my Ready Lift spacer / factory Bilstien combo I would have to give it a solid 10 out of 10 for my daily driving use. I haven't had this truck off road yet though.
With a top plate spacer, the ride may be the same, but forcing the whole assembly down binds your ball joints, and renders your bump stops useless. You will bottom out the shock before hitting the bump stops.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Zombie Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
With a top plate spacer, the ride may be the same, but forcing the whole assembly down binds your ball joints, and renders your bump stops useless. You will bottom out the shock before hitting the bump stops.
Is that different than 5100's cranked to 2.5 inches? Or is that shock body longer? If it is longer it will still bind the ball joints. I ran a 2 inch spacer for 3 years with no issues. If I was wheeling it hard I'm sure I would feel the need for better shocks and springs.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705 Taco View Post
Is that different than 5100's cranked to 2.5 inches? Or is that shock body longer? If it is longer it will still bind the ball joints. I ran a 2 inch spacer for 3 years with no issues. If I was wheeling it hard I'm sure I would feel the need for better shocks and springs.

Very different. The 5100's preload the spring, similar to coil spacer, not a top plate spacer.

What makes the 5100's better than a coil spacer is that the shocks are valved to dampen the stiffer spring load.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Zombie Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Very different. The 5100's preload the spring, similar to coil spacer, not a top plate spacer.

What makes the 5100's better than a coil spacer is that the shocks are valved to dampen the stiffer spring load.
Ok. That makes sense. Guess ill put some miles on this setup and see how it goes. The coils and shocks are not that expensive so it would be a nice upgrade when I wear out these shocks.