Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Surprisingly decent looking Mustang rims for my Taco??

Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely drop it!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #42
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Machine View Post
I can't get bigger tires without running the risk of brake failure.
I'm still subbed for the brake failure explanation.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #43
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice... I like it dropped as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #44
Taco Machine is on a distinguished road
Taco Machine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'm still subbed for the brake failure explanation.
If you go to any number of different tire calculator web sites (or contact a wheel/rim place), it says you shouldn't increase the diameter more than 3% larger than the original stock tire diameter (unless you upgrade your brakes and readjust your speedometer/tach). The speedometer, brakes, etc are all configured to work with rims/tires that are the stock diameter (it is called plus sizing).

The overall diameter of my stock rims (215/70/15) are 26.85 inches. The overall diameter of the new ones (235/50/18) are 27.25 inches. That makes a 1.47% difference, which is well below the 3% threshold. The speedometer will be 0.9 mph slower, but I can deal with that.

Hope this explained what I mean about brake failure. I'm sure it would be pretty rare for the brakes to actually fail if I went larger than I should, but I wanted to keep it within the reg's so as to not void my warranty.

On a side note... The TPMS sensor did NOT work. It took 20 minutes of having the engine on before the TPMS sensors recognized the difference. Looks like I'll have to take the rims to the delaership and have them swap out the TPMS's with the ones that are in my stocks rims.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentose457 View Post
Looks like the hub caps still say FORD. Id probably paint that black or silver if i were you. Unless you want the world to know you are rollin mustang wheels.
Oh yeah..they do say "Ford" in the very middle. I have two easy options for that. One is to just buy new caps for the center. They aren't expensive. Or...if I want to go with the really inexpensive route, I'll just buy some matching touch up paint, sand down the symbol for good adhesion, then paint them silver.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
This will help you compare the two instead of having to go back and forth.

Wow...thanks for showing me that. I like it alot!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #47
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Machine View Post
Wow...thanks for showing me that. I like it alot!
No problem at all man!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #48
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
I say drop it 2 inches. Dropped it for you in this picture. Solves your brake issue and having to buy tires.
i'd say this is more along the lines of a 3/4 drop. 2/3 is not as noticeable as this...it's almost spot on for the height of the DJM drop...

but rims actually look good! alot of people put mustang rims on their 5 lugs trucks...haha i've seen a 1st gen with crown vic police steelies.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #49
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
^^those are not "street tires" those are MTs on street rims. Op your brakes will not fail with slighty bigger tires. Alot of guys run 33" and even 35" tires without upgrading the brakes

I know THOSE particular tires are M/Ts I meant a street tire in general with an aggressive tread design. I was too lazy to find the exact one.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #50
TacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amanda
TacomaGirl09's Tacoma Gallery
Those rims look great on your truck!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #51
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Just one thing to keep in mind.... not that it will be a problem for you, but if you have any tendency to bounce your truck up curbs, having more rim and less rubber will increase the chance of flattening the rubber and hitting the rim on the curb. Especially if you hit the curb on an angle. So... make sure you don't do that.
It is a street truck.

Your brakes won't fail just because you add larger tires. These rims look great on your truck.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #52
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! definitely throw a djm drop on that, it would look sick
Old 03-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #53
dcrawfo1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donny
dcrawfo1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
whats this about brake failure?
yea im on that tooo
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #54
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Not a fan til I saw the drop. Still look a little off, the spokes seem too skinny
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #55
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
looks good dude.....plus points for originality, haven't seen anyone else with that setup.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #56
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
looks good dude.....plus points for originality, haven't seen anyone else with that setup.
X2
looks awesome if you ask me

and props to Pope for the photoshop
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #57
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes are designed to tow and stop 3500 lbs, they can handle larger wheels/tires, but your pads will wear out a little sooner and your mpg will drop a little as well. I would rock 235/60/18. Looks good though!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #58
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
drop that bittchhhhh
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #59
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Brakes are designed to tow and stop 3500 lbs, they can handle larger wheels/tires, but your pads will wear out a little sooner and your mpg will drop a little as well. I would rock 235/60/18. Looks good though!
IMHO I would not run that high a profile if your going to drop the truck. Trust me, of all people I would know....I have 60 series tires on 18s...too much rubbing issues and the drop is way less noticeable due to the massive tires.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #60
goodale is on a distinguished road
goodale's Tacoma Gallery
this looks awesome, are those 18" wheels? as a former mustang owner this has me excited. some black cobra R wheels would look sick on my magnetic grey reg cab