Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

All Terrain Tire Question!! (5 LUG)

Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
All Terrain Tire Question!! (5 LUG)

2009 2wd taco
readylift 3"
KMC Enduro 16x8
245/75/16 BFG Long Trail

Miles Per Tank BEFORE Lift, Rims, Tires = 400 miles
Miles Per Tank AFTER Lift, Rims, Tires = 350 miles

I found out I am moving to Connecticut in a couple months and it is my understanding that it snows and rains like no other during the winter months. I am looking to buy some A/T for the winter season. Can anybody recommend a good all-terrain tire that also won't kill my gas mileage & won't kill my power? I spoke with a guy at American Tire/Discount Tire and he said that the BFG All Terrain would ruin my gas mileage. I currently have BFG Long Trails (Load E) and the weight difference is only 5lbs per tire. Would that really change much?

Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
you should get bfg all terrains.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
I think BFG A/T's are the heaviest all terrains you can get, which some would say is a good thing. They are a great tire and you may think about re gearing, which may help both with low end power on take off and high end cruising?

Look at Tirerack . com they usually have a ton of reviews and detailed specs on all kinds of tires, like weight.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Newb View Post
I think BFG A/T's are the heaviest all terrains you can get, which some would say is a good thing. They are a great tire and you may think about re gearing, which may help both with low end power on take off and high end cruising?

Look at Tirerack . com they usually have a ton of reviews and detailed specs on all kinds of tires, like weight.
I have been looking everywhere... but of course you get mixed reviews for every kind of tire with every type of truck/suv. I was leaning toward the BFG A/Ts .. thanks for the input.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just some more food for thought,

The BFG's are an excellent choice but your concern was MPG's.

I did a quick comparison between four tires. Dunflop AT20's(stock tire), Firestone Destination A/T, Goodyear DuraTrac's, and BFG AT/KO all in 245/75/r16

Overall rating 0 being worst and 10 being best:
Dunflop: 2.5 LOLOLOLOL! big suprise!
Firestone AT: 8.7
Dura Trac: 8.3
BFG's: 8.5

Weight of each tire:
Dunflop: 32 lbs
Firestone: 36 lbs
DuraTrac: 40 lbs
BFG's: 48 lbs

There are a ton of other stats that I thought were interesting. I can say I have had BFG AT's and the Firestone Destination A/T's on two different Jeeps and I have to say I liked the Firestone's better. The Destinations were very impressive off road and on, especially in wet condition on road. The Firestone's were also around $500 for a set, and that was for 31's.

Not trying to talk you out of the BFG's just suggesting some other options from past experience. I can say you will notice a drop in mpg no matter what in a bigger tire, but I believe it will be the most pronounced with the BFG simply because it's physics, the heavier the tire, the more work the engine has to use to turn them.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just some more food for thought,

The BFG's are an excellent choice but your concern was MPG's.

I did a quick comparison between four tires. Dunflop AT20's(stock tire), Firestone Destination A/T, Goodyear DuraTrac's, and BFG AT/KO all in 245/75/r16

Overall rating 0 being worst and 10 being best:
Dunflop: 2.5 LOLOLOLOL! big suprise!
Firestone AT: 8.7
Dura Trac: 8.3
BFG's: 8.5

Weight of each tire:
Dunflop: 32 lbs
Firestone: 36 lbs
DuraTrac: 40 lbs
BFG's: 48 lbs

There are a ton of other stats that I thought were interesting. I can say I have had BFG AT's and the Firestone Destination A/T's on two different Jeeps and I have to say I liked the Firestone's better. The Destinations were very impressive off road and on, especially in wet condition on road. The Firestone's were also around $500 for a set, and that was for 31's.

Not trying to talk you out of the BFG's just suggesting some other options from past experience. I can say you will notice a drop in mpg no matter what in a bigger tire, but I believe it will be the most pronounced with the BFG simply because it's physics, the heavier the tire, the more work the engine has to use to turn them.
Thanks for advice. I am worried about the MPGs but also driving on ice and snow. The way I see it is 20 (5 lbs. per tire) more lbs of tire couldnt make that much of a difference. My BFG Long Trails weigh 43 lbs each.

Firestone? I have seen a Firestone tire explode when they were having all of those problems... which is why Firestone is always my last choice.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

Lol, don't blame you with the Firestone's.
And yeah, I would agree that the little extra weight shouldn't take too much away.
Good luck, post some pics if you get a chance when you get your tires.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol, don't blame you with the Firestone's.
And yeah, I would agree that the little extra weight shouldn't take too much away.
Good luck, post some pics if you get a chance when you get your tires.
Will do. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Another option would be to wait until next fall and get a dedicated set of winter tires, possibly even studded. Pick up a set of stock steel rims to put them on and just use them in the winter.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Another option would be to wait until next fall and get a dedicated set of winter tires, possibly even studded. Pick up a set of stock steel rims to put them on and just use them in the winter.
I was thinking about that too... but I won't have enough space to keep an extra set of tires. I will probably just get some BFG A/Ts AFTER I drive across the country.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
bluetaco99 is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
bluetaco99's Tacoma Gallery
i have a set of bridgestone revos 2. and i love them, ive never had bfgs but the bridgstones do good on dirt and there a specific made winter track tire. the only downfall is there horrible in mud...but other than that great tire cant complain much.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
There is no comparison between the winter vs AT tires, the winter tires will outperform the AT on every ice/snow covered road you drive on. I have 4 vehicles at home with 2 sets of tires for each (snow & all season). If you're truly worried about ice/snow traction a dedicated snow tire is the only way to go, save the AT's for what they are intended for unimproved roads/trails/mud.

I had Bridgstone Revo's on my old 2wd Ranger great tire for section line roads in ND but anything more than a dusting of snow or ice and they were horrible. Keep in mind the temperatures also play a factor for traction, when it's 20 degrees or lower any all season/AT tread compound is literally frozen stiff, think hockey puck hard, great for ice not so good for traction.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
jmtz14690 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
jmtz14690's Tacoma Gallery
I have Good Year Wrangler Duratrac tires on my truck and love them. I did research for over a month on a few tires and I saw nothing but good reviews overall for these tires. I recently took the plunge and put them onto my truck and they are awesome tires. The ride is smooth and traction is good. Plus they have an aggressive look and make my truck look awesome. If I could recommend any tire that would look good and work great it would be these ones.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #14

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtz14690 View Post
I have Good Year Wrangler Duratrac tires on my truck and love them. I did research for over a month on a few tires and I saw nothing but good reviews overall for these tires. I recently took the plunge and put them onto my truck and they are awesome tires. The ride is smooth and traction is good. Plus they have an aggressive look and make my truck look awesome. If I could recommend any tire that would look good and work great it would be these ones.

Have you taken the Wranglers in the snow?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
jmtz14690 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
jmtz14690's Tacoma Gallery
No, unfortunately it was a very dry winter here this year. I have already put almost 400 miles on them on the highway however for long distance trips and they work remarkably well. I have used them in mud though and they worked great. Cant wait to find some snow to try them in.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #16

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtz14690 View Post
No, unfortunately it was a very dry winter here this year. I have already put almost 400 miles on them on the highway however for long distance trips and they work remarkably well. I have used them in mud though and they worked great. Cant wait to find some snow to try them in.

Awesome. Let me know when find some powder to test them out in. Luckily, I have some time before I need to make a decision.