Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 Lug Aftermarket Shocks?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
5 Lug Aftermarket Shocks?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2.75" Fat Bob spacer lift and AAL on my 5 lug.

I want to get at least new front shocks cuz I haven't changed them since I've had my taco (115k miles). So I know the 5100s wont fit but what can I get?

Does the dealership have anything? Do I order online and have installed?

What kind of shocks and where.

Thanks, 4banger
Old 03-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Logan89 is on a distinguished road
Logan89's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered Bilstein HD struts for the 5 lug, and Bilstein HD shocks for a 6 lug for my taco.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Rconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rconectn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a readylift and have the Bilstein HD for 5lug in the front and the fat bob 8100s in the rear. http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2010
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Are the front and rear shocks something I can do myself or should have a shop do? Would it be worth doing after my AAL/front spacers since the HD's are for stock setups?

Sorry for asking like a newb
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
i know you can use the stock bilsteins from 6 lug tacomas. people sell them on here for around 70 bucks most of the time
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
mayday671 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ralph
mayday671's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
i know you can use the stock bilsteins from 6 lug tacomas. people sell them on here for around 70 bucks most of the time
You are talking about the rear Bilstein shocks from a 6-lug? That would be just the TRD model right or are there any other models? Also, can the front struts from a 6-lug fit a 4-cyl (06') toy?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
front struts, no. I actually just got a pair of bilsteins for the rear from another member.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
mayday671 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ralph
mayday671's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
front struts, no. I actually just got a pair of bilsteins for the rear from another member.
Would that rear shock come from any 6-lug taco?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
I'd imagine so. I wouldnt think the trd's are longer/shorter or anything
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Only the TRDs come with the Bilstein shocks though I believe. After having O'Reilly screw my rear shocks up twice I ordered Doetshe Tech shocks. They're not top of the line but I didn't read any terrible reviews about them either. The rears are super easy DIY. Fronts are tougher and require a coil compressor (still DIY-able, just more involved)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
What all do I need and have to do in order to DIY my rear shocks?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What all do I need and have to do in order to DIY my rear shocks?
jack, jackstands, allen wrench (and/or vicegrip) socket and socket wrench and wrenches. not super sure on the size. pretty much just chock up the front wheels, jack up the axle, support the whole thing with the jackstands, use the allen wrench to keep the shock from rotating and take off the top nut, then take off the lower bolt and nut.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
dude u can buy icon coil-over 2.5" shocks for the 5 lug so u might as well just replace the spacer kit with some mid-travel
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the front and rear shocks something I can do myself or should have a shop do? Would it be worth doing after my AAL/front spacers since the HD's are for stock setups?

Sorry for asking like a newb
front shocks are do-able but marginally more dangerous to do than the rear ones. you need to rent or buy a spring compressor, and removing the coilover itself is a bit more challenging than the rear. if you want i think the sittin sic company sub forum on XRunner Underground has a walkthrough of spring replacement on the 5 lug trucks, so the theory would be the same, unless you need to install a new perch up front. (i know to replace the perch on a stock xrunner truck all you need is a hammer...might be different for yours...)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
showzer is on a distinguished road

Name: Shea
showzer's Tacoma Gallery
I just put on pro comp es3000 shocks on my truck. Total pain to get them on