Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Tire size help

Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
bundy1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Barton
bundy1's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Tire size help

All right, I have an 03 4banger double cab tacoma and want some help I have posted a thread about lifting it before and I really don't see the point for it anymore. This is my everyday truck and I drive it back and fourth 40 miles 3 days a week (community college) and I really don't do that much off roading. So my question is what would be a good size set of tires to put up there without lifting it. I've pretty much picked out the tires and rims I want on it.

I'm leaning towards Firestone Destination A/T tires and some
black Mickey Thompson Classic II rims (my trucks red)

So can I get some help?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
From experience with 31x10.5 Destination A/T's that I had on my previous Cherokee, I can say that those tires are great. Not so good in deep mud but it's an all terrain... They were a joy to drive on road too, and what impressed me most about them was how they acted in the rain. I am also looking at this tire.

As far as size, if you aren't going to lift it, 235/75/r15 would be a great size. 235/75's fill the factory wheel wells very nice, honestly Toyota should have put this size on the truck from the factory. Also, 235's won't affect your spedo or kill your mileage much.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
bundy1's Tacoma Gallery
Yea? Thanks Ill check em out. Also can I get away with any slightly bigger?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
You could possibly fit 245/70/16's on there? I am kind of guessing on that one and it may be 245/75 not sure. You may rub when the steering is at it's max. From what everyone has said here, 235's is as big as you can go without rubbing on the stock truck.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
bundy1's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I've done some research on the tires and it does seem that 235s are the perfect size if you don't want to rub.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
dcrawfo1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donny
dcrawfo1's Tacoma Gallery
walmart has the goodyear wrangler radial in 235/75/15 and they're only 78 bucks. i just got a set on my truck this past friday, they look great. just my 2 cents. i can take a pic if you'd like?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the wrangler radials on mine right now too... I did have some rubbing on the tops of my front wheel wells on big bumps. I noticed it the most when I had 1 or 2 other people in the cab with me, just enough weight to push the front end down slightly. It didn't break anything but it was loud as hell and scared the shit out of anyone else that was in the truck with me.

Here's mine at stock height with the 235s