Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Aftermarket heavy duty coils for 5 lugs???

Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Gear Head
5LUGTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: David
5LUGTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket heavy duty coils for 5 lugs???

Hello everyone i just installed the hd bilstein struts in front and used some trd bilsteins for the rear with readylift aal. Just wondering if anyone knows of a company providing heavy duty stiffer coils for our 5 luggers as well???
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
There was a gb over on xrunner underground for some stiffer coils. can't remember who was making them. ryanjboutin posted a thread about it a week or two ago.

edit: here's ryan's thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/str...p-buy-xru.html
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
just fyi these coils are meant for to be used with a lowering kit, and are VERY stiff. around 990 ppi. they will fit, not too sure if you want your front end THAT stiff for off road purposes, but idk too much about lifting so yeah haha
Yeah all I've been able to find are coils to drop the trucks
Old 03-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Will 6 lug Prerunner coils fit? I'll give you mine for free...
No. Only rears will fit. 6lug front shocks are too long compared to 5lug front shocks :/
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
No. Only rears will fit. 6lug front shocks are too long compared to 5lug front shocks :/
Dont quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the coil diameter for the two are different as well

And for the sittin sic springs the coils thy make come in xrunner stock height, but with a higher spring rate. If anything, they are only a minor drop, around a 1/4" at most (due to our front ends being lighter). There is only one non XR I know with these springs and if I can recall correctly he did not report any drop (prob due to the fact that they are so stiff).
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Will 6 lug Prerunner coils fit? I'll give you mine for free...

I'll take you up on that offer, I can pay for shipping to 93535. I was thinking about possibly fabing up some upper arms to clear a set of Trd coils/shocks.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LUGTACO View Post
I'll take you up on that offer, I can pay for shipping to 93535. I was thinking about possibly fabing up some upper arms to clear a set of Trd coils/shocks.
Quote:
don't they make lift UCAs for the 5 lugs?
now this has my full attention. i have a full set of TRD shocks that i bought awhile back before i realized that all four wouldn't fit. 5LUGTACO if it's possible to get the fronts on let us know and i will promptly be making a switch in my lift setup.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dont quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the coil diameter for the two are different as well

And for the sittin sic springs the coils thy make come in xrunner stock height, but with a higher spring rate. If anything, they are only a minor drop, around a 1/4" at most (due to our front ends being lighter). There is only one non XR I know with these springs and if I can recall correctly he did not report any drop (prob due to the fact that they are so stiff).
Yes, the diameter is different. The 5 lug has a wide diameter at the top of the coil and it gets narrow at the bottom.

Quote:
You will need to redesign the top mounting plate on your 5 lug. The top plate on the 5 lug is much wider than the 6 lugs.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
now this has my full attention. i have a full set of TRD shocks that i bought awhile back before i realized that all four wouldn't fit. 5LUGTACO if it's possible to get the fronts on let us know and i will promptly be making a switch in my lift setup.
I definitely need a change because I always go off-roaring and the front setup is not cutting It. The shocks can bottom out before the lower control arm hits the bump stop and the upper arm hits my shock at full droop the spacer lift sucks! I don't have enough money for the tv mid travel so I figure I can fab something up with the Trd shocks, I'm taking bandit up on his offer but I'd like to fit the Trd shocks in as well anyone have donations ? Even if they're shot I just need some for mock up
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I definitely need a change because I always go off-roaring and the front setup is not cutting It. The shocks can bottom out before the lower control arm hits the bump stop and the upper arm hits my shock at full droop the spacer lift sucks! I don't have enough money for the tv mid travel so I figure I can fab something up with the Trd shocks, I'm taking bandit up on his offer but I'd like to fit the Trd shocks in as well anyone have donations ? Even if they're shot I just need some for mock up
stock XRunner coils would work as well, and they are much stiffer than ours too...they are a few ppi off from the stock 6 lug TRD springs, but the actual dynamics of the springs are prob different. but they are stiffer, they will fit and only lower you at THE most a quarter of an inch. also timbren makes front bumpstops, not too sure if they have them for the 5 lug trucks, but that would prevent you from bottoming out the control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Yes, the diameter is different. The 5 lug has a wide diameter at the top of the coil and it gets narrow at the bottom.

You will need to redesign the top mounting plate on your 5 lug. The top plate on the 5 lug is much wider than the 6 lugs.

you quoted me lol at least i was right. does the 6 lug top hat have different bolt spacing on the top hat too?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
stock XRunner coils would work as well, and they are much stiffer than ours too...they are a few ppi off from the stock 6 lug TRD springs, but the actual dynamics of the springs are prob different. but they are stiffer, they will fit and only lower you at THE most a quarter of an inch. also timbren makes front bumpstops, not too sure if they have them for the 5 lug trucks, but that would prevent you from bottoming out the control arms
that sounds promising, what is the best source for the coils?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
that sounds promising, what is the best source for the coils?
Well this would be good if your running stock height or the spacer lift but it still wouldn't solve my problem. Im trying to upgrade the suspension in terms of travel and ride quality (get rid of the spacer lift but still have lift). Can anyone give me measurements of some trd struts/coils? I would like to know the distance between the top three mounting bolts that are on the plate. Also id like to know the diameter of the top plate as well. Thank you
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Gear Head

Still looking for some struts/coils from a trd, anyone have some complete for cheap?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Still looking for some struts/coils from a trd, anyone have some complete for cheap?
PM me if you want a full set. I bought them before my lift and never installed the rears...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Gear Head

Can anyone give me measurements of some trd struts/coils? I would like to know the distance between the top three mounting bolts that are on the plate. Also id like to know the diameter of the top plate as well. Thank you
Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
Gear Head

So any updates on aftermarket coils out there guys? I just bought some coils/shocks from a 4cyl 4x4 once i get them i will begin the customization process.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #20
Street is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really nice

Name: jon
Street's Tacoma Gallery
Best Setup for 5 lugs

Toytec has a nice set-up

on my 2wd 99 5 lug i'm going to try and fit some stock Sr5 coil springs this weekend maybe they will work dont know if it was v6 or 4 tho