Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Rack Steering Question......

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Racerboy221 will become famous soon enoughRacerboy221 will become famous soon enough

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
Rack Steering Question......

I drove through an area with some shattered Bamboo and a piece struck and punctured my steering boot on the rack. Sadly, this is now allowing power steering fluid to leak out and I am forced to continue to refill it every couple of days...as well, I cannot park in the driveway due to the staining.

My questions are these:.....

Can the boot be replaced easily or should the entire rack get replaced??
Is this something I should do myself or take it to be done?

Any assistance woud be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
It's leaking P/S fluid from the rack??

If so, time for a new P/S Rack.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Racerboy221 will become famous soon enoughRacerboy221 will become famous soon enough

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
Yes, its leaking from a small hole in the boot caused from a piece of wood/bamboo I hit somewhere along the road.

I checked with a shop here and they say the book can be replaced....somewhere in the area of $110 for parts and labor. I really just wanted to do it myself (if possible) but I might still need to get an alignment when through.

If the rack does need to be replaced, is that a fairly easy job? What does a rack cost?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
That is just a dust boot. If there is fluid inside, the rack is leaking.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
That is just a dust boot. If there is fluid inside, the rack is leaking.
Yuppers.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
s1deout is on a distinguished road
s1deout's Tacoma Gallery
Both of my dust cover boots are torn. I just ordered replacements and the guy at Advanced auto said that there should be a grease pack included.

Anybody have a write up on replacing the boots?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
No. But here you can download the factory service manual and see what all is involved: http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
the boot is not a seal for stering fluid it just for dust so the problem in not that the boot is broken their is a seal broken inside the boot and that my friend is a job for the shop and a new rack will be way grater than that.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
HAHAHA... They no comprende.

If your rack boots are leaking fluid you have a bigger problem then leaking boots... As in the power steering rack is leaking into the boots... which means a new rack is needed.

please someone else say in a diffrent way one more time
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
jeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeffz0rz's Tacoma Gallery
what are 96-04 5 lug racks going for ? im in need of a new one.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
looked one up on kragens site cheapest is 310. id check out a mini truck salvage yard
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i rplaced my rack on my 05+ mini and it was 150ish on ebay from an online wrecking yard.......... i did the install my self wasnt to hard. getting the steering straight was the hardest part
Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Dude at advance is trying to sell you cv joint boots. There is no grease in a steering rack boot.