Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

black box mod

Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Dennis3553 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dennis
Dennis3553's Tacoma Gallery
black box mod

anyone have the link on a how to for cutting to black box out of the front wheel well?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
i don't know of a link, but it's as easy as trimming your wheel well liners and taking the 3 bolts out that hold the black box in.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
wtf does it do?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
wtf does it do?
on 2nd gen 5-lugs it's a piece of steel behind the liners where the mud flaps would bolt on if it was a 6-lug. it keeps people from running a 30x9.5 without rubbing and without a lift. the larges that can be run without rubbing or removing the black box is a 235/75/15.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol I wasthinking the same thing about you!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wtf does it do?
I don't think anyone really knows. For most of us 5-lugs it just gets in the way of running larger tires in the front. Larger tires (30" will, not sure about smaller sizes) will rub on the box when turning the wheel.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
on 2nd gen 5-lugs it's a piece of steel behind the liners where the mud flaps would bolt on if it was a 6-lug. it keeps people from running a 30x9.5 without rubbing and without a lift. the larges that can be run without rubbing or removing the black box is a 235/75/15.
so thats the only reason toyota put it on there? to keep people from running larger tires?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Quote:
so thats the only reason toyota put it on there? to keep people from running larger tires?
yes, since there is no other logical reason
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #9

there are not wires or anything? just a black metal box...?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
there are not wires or anything? just a black metal box...?
exactly, i think it's in place of the front mud flaps.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Matt in Knoxville is a glorious beacon of lightMatt in Knoxville is a glorious beacon of lightMatt in Knoxville is a glorious beacon of lightMatt in Knoxville is a glorious beacon of lightMatt in Knoxville is a glorious beacon of light

Matt in Knoxville's Tacoma Gallery
i would also like to know how to remove these

i have 30s and they rub ever damn time i turn the wheel all the way...i dont think it is doing any damage to the tires or the box, but the noise gets old...
Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
C.Brown is on a distinguished road
C.Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poot Klopp View Post
it takes maybe 2 min to take the box out.
yes, but how????? I'm on the same situation, I have my new 255/70R15 with that noise.......I lift 2.5" with Daystar spacers and now is better, but please can someone explain how to remove the black box?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
As easy as 1-2-3 or... "Black Box Removal Tutorial- For Dummies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Brown View Post
yes, but how????? I'm on the same situation, I have my new 255/70R15 with that noise.......I lift 2.5" with Daystar spacers and now is better, but please can someone explain how to remove the black box?
1.so go to your driver front tire. On the right corner, you'll see the wheel well liner comes out slightly.
2.Grab sharp industrial scissors or a knife and cut around that square. Once you cut that out. You'll see that that same figure is still there, just not covered by the plastic liner. By now you should see the screws holding the box in.
3. unbolt those screws.

Remember, 1go to your front driver side tire, look at the right bottom corner, it should have some scratches or melted plastic spots from your tire rubbing against it. 2You have to cut the wheel well liner because it sits right on top of the box. If you tap the wheel well liner with your index finger starting from the front bumper all the way around to the cab corner, you'll hear a difference when you get to the box. It'll sound like metal. 3Unbolt the screws when the liner is cut.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
C.Brown's Tacoma Gallery
thanks Bro, you really help me .....now I feel like I lost money with the daystar, but not matter, I have just lifted a litle bit on the rear.....I'm really happy with my 5 lug, pics soon!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Tired of my 235s, getting 255s soon. Sounds like I'm gonna need to do this when I do. A gillion rep points to whoever posts pics
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I had a post on this awhile back: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...ouble-cab.html

Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #19
C.Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUGrad05 View Post
I had a post on this awhile back: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...ouble-cab.html

jajaja....perfect!!!!..... that boxes don't have sense, just to complicate the life, maybe the factory doesn't like BIG tires!!