1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Snow Tires?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by ScottyDaug, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7 4X2
    I am looking to purchase a set of snow tires before winter. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, brand, studded vs studless, etc. I already purchased a Shur-Trax http://www.shurtrax.com/ to take care of weight for the bed. All I need now is a good set of snow tires.

Manfred likes this.
  2. May 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I bought two sets last year, bridgestone blizzaks for the Jeep Wrangler, and firestone winterforce UV for the pickup. I had the firestone tires studded and they were fantastic on ice...however, you can't use studs in all states.

No matter what brand you get, get the ones with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the side.

Howard

3. May 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7 4X2

Did the the studded Firestones work better then the studless Blizzaks?

4. May 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I have heard the Km2 are a good snow tire.

5. May 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    Blizzaks by far better than the competition. I've run them for the past decade on all of my vehicles with no problems. I was unable to get a rwd truck with no weight in the bed stuck in 18" of snow.

6. May 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I think we need more information. You driving highway? Dirt roads? Plowed? Ice-pack'd?

For example, if you're in AK or Canada, studs are probably a good idea if your roads have snow that gets compacted to ice every year for the season. If you're driving on asphalt that gets plowed within a day or 2, you don't need studs...

7. May 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    LBCdan

LBCdan TACO --> TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM 4x4
    Toytec Coilovers, TotalChaos UCA, Icon w/ Resi, Toytec Lift Shackle, Methods w/ 285/75/18 Tires.
    Duratracs!! You can add studs and they have excellent reviews on tirerack.com. I am moving to CT and have done a lot of research on tires.

8. May 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    had firestone winterforce on my 95 tacoma. bought the second set. seemed to have excellent traction. got me around in the north maine woods and poconos of PA. during winter. I ran them only for the winter months,and switched to another set of tires for summer.

9. May 8, 2011 at 1:40 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Actually, based on recommedations, my buddy ran a set of 285-17 studded duratracs on a lifted rubicon and reported problems on steep, unplowed mountain roads. We had a bad winter in NE Tennessee.

The blizzaks did well last winter and we NEVER got the Wrangler stuck, even on steep ice pack. Since the firestone winterforce UV with the studs were on a rwd pickup, we don't have a direct comparision, but studs with the open rear end were a vast improvement from the Cooper Discover ST I ran the year earlier.

10. May 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Blizzaks

11. May 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    You are correct, sir, to give thought to a good tire. After all, as far as safety is concerned, the quality/configuration of a contact patch is ALL that keeps us on the road, protecting ourselves and others.

When I bought my 6-lug last summer in preparation for a move to Alaska, I knew I would have to switch my tires out. Snow tires here in AK stay on our vehicles from October through early May. (As a matter of fact, it's snowing outside as I type this.) So I went researching...

1. Winter rated tires, with the triangular mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall are FAR better than all-season tires.

2. Blizzaks are fine, the soft compounds they use are copied/duplicated/improved upon my others. People often swear by them, but there are other equally excellent tires out there with similar – sometimes better – features. They are expensive, no doubt about it. And none of these tires will last as long as All-Seasons. Get used to the idea.

3. A couple of brands I would look at for a light truck: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5, Michelin Ice-X. Toyo Observe G-02 plus. Blizzaks. All of these tires share the soft, high-friction co-efficient rubber compounds. Some are studded. Some are not. All are winter rated.

I went studless, because I had far to go and I just didn't want to run studs everywhere/all the time. In the end, I went with a set of Toyo Observe G-02 Plus. I chose well. I slowed down and stayed on the road all winter.

12. May 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have studded Firestone winterforce for the Tacoma & General Altimax Arctic that is a rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3 on the fwd civic.
    In the past, have had both Hakkapelittas & Blizzaks.
    I have been happy with all of them. I like running the studs (that is allowed where I live) for we tow a lot with the truck in winter & see a lot of black ice & hard pack. Been more than happy with the tires & just finished my 3rd full season. The tick tick tick is all you hear around here in the winter time.
    The Generals are good too & could be studded. Just do not use the car enough.
    I liked the blizzaks as well but really like the studs on icy inclines. Our winter snowmobile cabin driveway at times is extremely icy.

13. May 15, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I love my Blizzaks. I have 4 sets, 2 pickups and 2 sedans, they've been great tires in the snow and cold. I've never carried weight in the back of my pickup trucks and have only been stuck in my own driveway after the snow plow dumps snow up to the bumper, I still managed to break free with some effort.

I live in ND so no major inclines to navigate. The city uses no salt only sand, the main drags clear up fairly quickly but all the side streets remain snow/ice covered from about Nov to Mar.

I would purchase snows based somewhat on operating climate, ND is bitter cold for 4-6 months a year. My folks live in OH and my ole man went with Nokia's. The tread compound isn't quite as soft and OH salts the hell out of their roads, most of the time he's on bare pavement.

Using the conditions as a guide you might not need Blizzaks and save some cash with a less expensive purchase.

14. May 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    I live in CT. I had purchased Blizzaks for my 2WD 5-lug 4-banger in 09 when I got the truck and have used them for two winters. This January was friggin' snow crazy for CT. I have not gotten stuck and I have not put weight in the truck. I take it easy in the snow and try to avoid steep inclines. I can not speak for(or against) other tires as I do not have any experience with them, but I am very happy with the Blizzaks.

75z28 likes this.
  15. May 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    Bumponapickle

Bumponapickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD + Leather DCLB
    Old Man Emu 3 inch lift + AAL, Satoshi and Pioneer Avic Z130BT
    I have the blizzaks also - 265/70/17 - not to worried about the snow, driving in the snow is more technique I think - what they are good for is the Ice, great on the ice....just saying....

Products Discussed in

To Top