Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Do I Really Need A/T?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
JSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jared
JSW's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to JSW
Do I Really Need A/T?

I live in Florida (Born and Raised). Got my taco a little over a year ago. I just got a nice refund from the Tax Return and looking at new rims and tires. I love the mean look of A/T's but do I really need them for a 4x2 in Florida? And would i need to lift my truck? I do intend on lifting it soon, but I can't afford new rims/tires and a lift. I would like to go off-roading and maybe a lil mudding and hang with the 4x4 boys, but nothing crazy or serious. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Jared
Old 05-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I would just go with road tires myself. Or maybe a mild A/T like the firestone or hankook dynapro.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Get the lift now then wait until you can get new tires before you install the lift
Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Yokohama Geolandars. They're cheap A/T.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd do lift and tires and worry about wheels later. Unless you aren't wanting to lift it. Tires and ground clearance are two of the biggest components for offroading.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Just get lift (5100s & aal ) and some mild a/t tires
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
or if he wants an off size rim.... If the final rim your thinking of is the same size and will fit tires you buy now, then leave the rims till last, and go lift and tires
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
JSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JSW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Look into the Yokohama Geolandars. They're cheap A/T.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd do lift and tires and worry about wheels later. Unless you aren't wanting to lift it. Tires and ground clearance are two of the biggest components for offroading.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm defineatly looking at lifting it. Already have a project name/list in mind, just want to figure out the right way to do it.

Quote:
The 5100s are Blisten right? I thought I read something about one of the shocks being too long for 5 lugs? And what exactly is AAL?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm new to the truck scene. Been working on a couple of VWs for the past few years. Thinking I like the Tacos better.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the Hankook A/Ts...no complaints
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
get some good tires. then the lift.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMan2007 View Post
get some good tires. then the lift.
Well if he does that, then he could wind up after he gets the lift wanting different, bigger tires and he'll be spending more. If you need tires ASAP, go with that. Otherwise, like I said, lift then tires.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if he has the firestones or dunlops hes going to want to change them out. when it rained here i had poor traction with the dunlops. then when i had the destination LE put on about three weeks later the sidewall failed and pulled the bead off the rim. i'm going to get some 235/75/15. i've been happy with yokohama so i'm sticking with them. then do the fatbob lift.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
if your planning on going offroading then i think you should atleast get an A/T tire. Personally i like the firestone le tires that came with mine, they did well in mud and loose dirt roads and snow. If i went offroading more i would definitely get all terrains though.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW View Post

And what exactly is AAL?
Add A Leaf
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
JSW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips guys. Thinking I'm gonna go lift, wheels, then tires. Unless I can get a good deal on the Dynapro group buy.

I like the idea of mild A/T's nothing crazy, but still something that can fill out the wells and give it a good look for my project.

Heard nothing but good things about the Fatbob lift, and I like the price.

Also doing my first mod this week! Tinted taillights
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaCoULuV2Hate View Post
That doesn't work for 5 lugs. Maybe the fatbob's or readylift, spacer and aal option!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I run Destination A/Ts.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
If you are serious about offroading in Florida you will need to have tires that handle mud and are good at clearing the mud out of the cleats. The A/Ts are compromises designed for all conditions including those not present in Florida. In my experience they will not handle the mud well.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels are just for looks if it where me first tires then lift if you can do them together better because that way you could get bigger tires and for last wheels.
Tires first because that is what gives you traction and you can put 29" tires on stock suspension and they give a litter lift that will help in offroading. Second lift because you need ground clearance for big rocks or bumps and like i said if you do them together then you can choose bigger tires that will lift the truck more. wheels a really for looks not for performance so I'll do that last you can see the tires I got with new wheels and I'm which I kept the stock and do lift but I don't really do offroading but if it came to it With my tires I think I could do some light offroading.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
JSW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
If you are serious about offroading in Florida you will need to have tires that handle mud and are good at clearing the mud out of the cleats. The A/Ts are compromises designed for all conditions including those not present in Florida. In my experience they will not handle the mud well.
Thanks for the advice. What would you suggest? I would like to do some offroading, but a good balance between off and on-roading. Suggestions? I would think M/T would only be good on 4x4's.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #20

not really. M/T's will work good on a 2wd. just research your tires, look at the pros and cons that people post. thats my best advice.