Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

rear axle regear

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
rear axle regear

hey guys i got a few questions about the regear. looked but i think everyone is running bigger tires than me.
i have 29's on stock gears but was wondering what gears i should get and brand?
next question is it gonna throww off the speedo? its a little off like 2mph nothin big.
is it gonna help with mpg?
and anyone know a good cheap place in socal? how much? preferrably in san bern, oc or la county

thanks in advance guys
Old 05-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

its slower than before and mpg took a good hit
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
hey guys i got a few questions about the regear. looked but i think everyone is running bigger tires than me.
i have 29's on stock gears but was wondering what gears i should get and brand?
next question is it gonna throww off the speedo? its a little off like 2mph nothin big.
is it gonna help with mpg?
and anyone know a good cheap place in socal? how much? preferrably in san bern, oc or la county

thanks in advance guys
4.10 gears

Ya ur speedo is off by 2-8mph depends how fast ur going. The faster u go the more ur speedo is gonna be off.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
If your main reason is MPG's don't it would take years if ever to recoup the cost of a re-gear your not going to see that much more.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

well its my dd and if i regear i will probably get a locker for wheeling too
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you want to spend the money for an ARB it's not worth going through the hassle and paying the money for a locker and regear. You can buy a LockRight for a fraction of the cost and install it with the help of another person in 4 hours.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

is it a good locker? and where can i get one of those?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
It's an auto locker or "lunch box locker" meaning that it locks up when you are going straight and unlocks when going around turns. There is no "on" or "off" switch like with an ARB or the factory e-locker. The lockright is made by Richmond Gear and can be purchased through any of their dealers, JEGS, Summit, East Coast Gear Supply, and Randy's Ring and Pinion to name a few. The lockrights are more for dedicated off road rigs as they tend to be noisier when they lock/unlock. The powertrax unit is supposedly quieter and thus a little more street friendly, although I'm not sure they make for your diff. Some folks don't like them because the locker can't be turned off when driving on slick road conditions like snow or ice. As far as I know they are pretty reliable. I haven't run one myself, but I was about to at one point.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
It's an auto locker or "lunch box locker" meaning that it locks up when you are going straight and unlocks when going around turns. There is no "on" or "off" switch like with an ARB or the factory e-locker. The lockright is made by Richmond Gear and can be purchased through any of their dealers, JEGS, Summit, East Coast Gear Supply, and Randy's Ring and Pinion to name a few. The lockrights are more for dedicated off road rigs as they tend to be noisier when they lock/unlock. The powertrax unit is supposedly quieter and thus a little more street friendly, although I'm not sure they make for your diff. Some folks don't like them because the locker can't be turned off when driving on slick road conditions like snow or ice.
I've had mine for 3 weeks and I haven't heard one sound from it. Haven't heard it engage or disengage. I get absolutely 0 sound from mine. The only way I know it's still there is when I feel it engage when getting on the gas.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #11

But with the manual I've heard it's better to run the Powertrax No-Slip instead of the LockRight.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

for sure ill look into those thanks man
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Gear Head
5LUGTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: David
5LUGTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
But with the manual I've heard it's better to run the Powertrax No-Slip instead of the LockRight.
Why is it better?