Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lug driveshaft question?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
bills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura aboutbills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bill
bills yota 2wpeel's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug driveshaft question?

Could somebody take a picture of the area where the rear driveshaft slides into the transmission on their 5 lug standard cab manual 05up tacoma? I need to know how far into the transmission the driveshaft should normally be.

Im having problems with a leaking seal and looseness on the output shaft of the transmission probably caused by my lift and driveshaft angle. I think the driveshaft is too far to the back now. I swapped the center section with one from a older truck with different gearing too. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
that older 3rd member could be your issue
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
bills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura aboutbills yota 2wpeel has a spectacular aura about

The center came from a '96 4x4 non ELD. I was told the '08 and it were both the 8.4 diff. They looked identical, but I did have to swap the pinion flange from my '08. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

what im thinking is that the 3rd member you swapped in may be slightly shorter than the one you took out causing the driveline to be pulled back
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
what im thinking is that the 3rd member you swapped in may be slightly shorter than the one you took out causing the driveline to be pulled back
i dont think so unless he has linked suspension .... i have a race pack and at full droop the driveshaft pulls out but no issues and im sure my DS is coming farther out than his. the pinion/ds angle would be my first guess.

To the OP do u have any DS vibrations?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
i dont think so unless he has linked suspension .... i have a race pack and at full droop the driveshaft pulls out but no issues and im sure my DS is coming farther out than his. the pinion/ds angle would be my first guess.

To the OP do u have any DS vibrations?
No vibrations from the driveshaft at all. Looking at your picture, id say the slip yoke looks right. Im thinking now that a bad U-joint on the differential side may have helped cause the problems on the transmission side. I replaced the seal on the trans and both driveshaft u-joints, but the transmission is still leaking. I put 3* shims on the axle to help the angle.

I thought maybe I could just buy the slip yoke and it would be tighter on the splines, but the dealer shows the entire driveshaft sold together. I guess I'll just have to add oil and hope the output shaft bearings dont go bad on the transmission.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

that sucks man. hope you get it fixed soon