Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

"Sealed" Driveline?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
"Sealed" Driveline?

Hello fellow 5 luggers

The other day I was doing some maintainence to get my truck ready for my 700 mile "commute" back and forth to school. I changed the gear oil in the 5 speed and the rear diff. I tried lubing the driveshaft too... no grease zerks to be found. Are the 5 lugs maintainence free in the driveline department?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know, yes. I think the only thing you can really do with the drive shaft is replace the U-joint.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
where do you change the oil on the 5 speed? ive never looked haha. what kind of oil? regular gear oil?
Is this a real question? Hahaha...
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Reading...
Us3r is on a distinguished road
Army: Discharged Med 08 19D Infantry
Name: Mike
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ lol...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
As far as I know, yes. I think the only thing you can really do with the drive shaft is replace the U-joint.
x2

I had to replace mine a few months ago. Not sure about 1st gens but on the 2nd gens you can get Spicer replacements with or without zerks. I opted for zerks so I can grease them periodically, others may want the sealed ones so they don't have to.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well one less thing to worry about I suppose. I don't see the original post only a quote... but yes Joel you should probably change the gear oil occaisionally. I went with amsoil 75w-90 gl-4 (I think... I used gl4 and gl5 cant remember which went where) There's a fatty ass bolt at the back of the trans on the bottom and another about 1/2 way up the drivers side... these are the drain and fill plugs. always take the fill out first in case you screw it up.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
Science!

I believe GL5 can cause premature wear/ corrosion to brass components like synchros. So I wouldn't use a GL5 gear lube in the transmission.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Science!

That's what I use.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok that's what I did then... gl5 in the diff and gl4 in the trans
Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If your fill plug doesn't come off, then you can fill it through the shifter.

I fill through top of shifter. You can be so much more precise. It's fun taking your truck apart too

It's a bitch to take off if you never done it and don't know how though.
Considering how my old truck I put a new transmission in, filled old one up before and old transmission had shift bushing replaced...I've taken it off minimum 3 times. lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #14
Science!

^Good to know.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #15

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
If your fill plug doesn't come off, then you can fill it through the shifter.

I fill through top of shifter. You can be so much more precise. It's fun taking your truck apart too

It's a bitch to take off if you never done it and don't know how though.
Considering how my old truck I put a new transmission in, filled old one up before and old transmission had shift bushing replaced...I've taken it off minimum 3 times. lol.
Good to know... but I think I'll stick to the 1-bolt "disassembly" method and take out the fill plug
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Good to know... but I think I'll stick to the 1-bolt "disassembly" method and take out the fill plug
My truck wasn't lifted.

You gotta remember I had a 5/6 drop on that truck.

Anything I didn't have to do underneath the truck was great.

If I was using my neighbors lift, then sure fill plug would be fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #17

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
True... I got to use a lift so the fill plug wasn't a big deal.