Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

LCE vs. URD on Short Shifter

Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Natemx is on a distinguished road
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
LCE vs. URD on Short Shifter

I've heard a lot of reviews from those with URD short shifters, but I am curious about LC Engineering's kit. An extra 70$ for a better product would not bother me a bit.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these kits?

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...3-F24B812D40F4

http://www.urdusa.com/Short-Throw-Sh...lml9dalg4h0al5

Attached Thumbnails
LCE vs. URD on Short Shifter-img_3718.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
The LCE one is all aluminum and will vibrate and make a ton of chatter, the URD one uses your stock shaft that is sound deadened, they act the same but I prefer the URD one as I have owned both.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
The LCE one is all aluminum and will vibrate and make a ton of chatter, the URD one uses your stock shaft that is sound deadened, they act the same but I prefer the URD one as I have owned both.
Thank you. This is the kind of info I can't find anywhere else. Did you purchase the LCE kit first, and then jump ship, or were these on two different vehicles?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
x2 on this one. I have the LCE myself, and it does make a ton of noise. I'm more than happy with it, only downside is when I have someone in the truck and they hear it rattle they think something is wrong.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
If you're happy with the noise, I probably wouldn't mind it. The other people in my truck are either people who love trucks or don't know the difference.

I guess my only concern then is the fit. I've read those stories about the extension sleeve being too small / stock ball being too big. 100$ is something I can play with at the moment, so I think I'll be trying this out.

I would still like more comments on the LCE kit.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Both kits will install relatively easy. Neither company makes a product that you have to second guess. For a lot of parts on my truck I went with LCE because they're local to me in AZ, and they have been around WAAAY longer than URD. You won't have fitment issue's with either.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
For a lot of parts on my truck I went with LCE because they're local to me in AZ, and they have been around WAAAY longer than URD.
This is the prime reason I'm going with LCE, but just because a company is old doesn't mean their product is better. But to tell you the truth, I'd rather have the LC engineering kit in my truck.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
I'll get in contact with LCE and hopefully will have an update for you guys by...next week.

Would anyone out there want pictures detailing the install? I know somebody is going to find this thread ten years from now and say "How do I put the bolts in the hoooooooles?????"