Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

How to store? (Tacoma not used for months)

Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
How to store? (Tacoma not used for months)

So, I've ended up getting jobs back-to-back which have kept me out of state and away from my Tacoma for 6 months. My g-friend said she'd start the truck & my motorcycle every week, but that hasn't happened and so both have sat dormant for almost 6 weeks.

1) The Tacoma's battery is dead, so I told her to just leave it. Is there anything I should be worried about while leaving it until I return Dec 18th? When I get a new battery, will it be able to start up fine or should I drive it straight to a dealer for a checkup? I'm worried about all the fluids and any gas left in the tank...

2) Same with my motorcycle. Any advice on that? Battery is at least on a trickle charge attached to the wall, but I'm worried about any leftover gas and fluids just sitting there. Is it safe to start after 2 months of inactivity? (I'm checking out the RAT forums, as well, but thought I'd ask here, too)

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, guys!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
it wouldn hurt to put a fuel stabalizer in your truck
Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Gas starts to go bad after about a month. If you didn't use fuel stabilizer, I'd remove the tank on the bike and drain it. Bike fuel systems are a little more sensitive to bad gas than cars. Especially bikes with carburetors. Bad gas will clog up the low speed idle jets in no time.

If she gets a jump, she may be able to bring the truck battery back from the dead. She can then put in some fresh gas with some fuel stabilizer. As long as she runs the truck for a few minutes each month, it should be fine.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Gas starts to go bad after about a month. If you didn't use fuel stabilizer, I'd remove the tank on the bike and drain it. Bike fuel systems are a little more sensitive to bad gas than cars. Especially bikes with carburetors. Bad gas will clog up the low speed idle jets in no time.

If she gets a jump, she may be able to bring the truck battery back from the dead. She can then put in some fresh gas with some fuel stabilizer. As long as she runs the truck for a few minutes each month, it should be fine.
Nice! Tank removal on the bike, huh? You think the other liquids should be alright (ie sitting oil) before starting it up?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Nice! Tank removal on the bike, huh? You think the other liquids should be alright (ie sitting oil) before starting it up?
If the oil was fresh to begin with, I'd leave it. If it is due for a change anyway, swap it out.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Every time I think about fuel stabilizer I get this horrendous image of my girlfriend dumping it over my truck/bike and ruining the paint. Don't I have to have a nice amount of fuel in the tank? I'm guessing most would be evaporated by now.
It's best to top off the fuel when adding stabilizer. Plus it helps mix it. I wouldn't bother stabilizing the bike now. It's easier to just siphon out most of the bad fuel, drain it, and refill with fresh new fuel. Should take you about an hour to do.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
It's best to top off the fuel when adding stabilizer. Plus it helps mix it. I wouldn't bother stabilizing the bike now. It's easier to just siphon out most of the bad fuel, drain it, and refill with fresh new fuel. Should take you about an hour to do.
You think the tank can stand as is until Dec 18, then I can remove it, clean it, etc? Or do you think it'll be rusted too badly by then? (2011 Triumph Thruxton) Oil was good before this. I don't think my g-friend could put gas in the bike w/ out spilling it all over the tank.

+1, btw
Old 10-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Is there someone you trust to do some preventive work while your away?
They could siphon the fuel from the bike and add stabilizer and start it up for you to get fresh fuel in the system. If not just do it when you get back.

And as far as the truck goes. I would put a trickle charger lead on the new battery. Then when you leave you can add stabilizer and hook up the tender.
Just put a note on the steering wheel so you don't forger it's hooked up.
Treat every away job as if your going away for a while and you won't have a problem.

fuel treatment, battery tender, pump up the tires. 10 min and no worries.
Good luck. Say safe away from home......
Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Is there someone you trust to do some preventive work while your away?
They could siphon the fuel from the bike and add stabilizer and start it up for you to get fresh fuel in the system. If not just do it when you get back.

And as far as the truck goes. I would put a trickle charger lead on the new battery. Then when you leave you can add stabilizer and hook up the tender.
Just put a note on the steering wheel so you don't forger it's hooked up.
Treat every away job as if your going away for a while and you won't have a problem.

fuel treatment, battery tender, pump up the tires. 10 min and no worries.
Good luck. Say safe away from home......
Good advice. Can't think of anyone that knows bikes or wouldn't drill a Makita thru my windows. Sounds like neither will be dead, but I will definitely have to tend to them asap when I get back. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good advice. Can't think of anyone that knows bikes or wouldn't drill a Makita thru my windows. Sounds like neither will be dead, but I will definitely have to tend to them asap when I get back. Thank you!
Your Welcome....
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
My bike sat for a year with a trickle and only being started 1 time in that year..had to go to the shop for the carbs to be cleaned and of course any dri-rot replaced. It sat inside a trailer at my moms in AZ and it had been treated with stabilizer(sea foam) as for the truck couldn't tell ya..sorry
Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
use marine formula stabil...regular stabil is useless with the ethanol content in todays gas.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

I will most likely be giving my truck to my old man while I'm gone. If I end up throwing it in storage instead, I'll be dropping a fuel stabilizer in, disconnecting the battery, and also putting it on jacks (with the tyres still on). That's what I had in mind.