Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

How to disable TPMS?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Midnight Drifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
Midnight Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
How to disable TPMS?

Alright, so... basically, I want my TPMS gone. Completely. I'm going to eventually have no less than 3 sets of wheels (One for snow, the other for 'off road' and a highway set for commuting) in my possession for my taco truck and in all honesty, I'd rather not shill out the dough for 8 more sensors. They're NOT cheap.

And simply staring at that light is an unacceptable answer, too.

Any suggestions on how to turn the light off, other than taping the IP or ripping apart the IP and desoldering the LED?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Anthony, if you keep your original wheels and original sensors with a mounted set of tires aired up you will more than likely not ever trigger a tpms light.

I ran two sets of tires & rims and only one set of sensors (in winter oem steel rims w/ original sensors).
My summer set had no sensors.
I never got a light unless I was out of range of the stored tires/rims.
When that happened, I put a business card on the dash to cover the light. Once back home, the light reset by itself over night.
It was pretty easy and no extra cost or dash removal.
G/L
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like you could make the PVC tube thing. put them in the tube pressurize the tube and mount ing some wear under the truck. that way one have one set and the light will not turn on. idk how to do it exactly just know about it. maybe search of it or wait for another member that knows about it.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Leave the sensors in the set of tires you use most, pull the dash and install a switch for the TPMS light, or just disable the light.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Leave the sensors in the set of tires you use most, pull the dash and install a switch for the TPMS light, or just disable the light.
itís not a bad idea. but if he has winter tires. than most likely they will be on for a few months.

i think the pvc pipe mod or what ever it is called. is a good idea for him to look in to. that way they wont ever set the light off. not madder what set of tires be has on.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
You guys do know TPMS batteries eventually go dead, right? I'd rather toss the whole system. Just like ABS, I wish my truck never came with it.

I'll probably just desolder the LED, even though I don't really want to.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
like others mentioned, do the pipe bomb. when batteries go dead, go from there. I did it, and it worked.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
all vehicles made after 2008 are federally mandated to have a tpms system installed on the vehicle. the bad thing is that you cant just remove a part and have the system go away. you would have to disable the light on the dash to get it out of sight. sensors that dont move for a period of time will go to "sleep". after they are reprogramed or woken up they will activate again. the batterys are designed to last 7-10 years.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Probably just going to desolder the LED then. Too bad it's not like on the Yaris, where disabling TPMS is as simple as disconnecting one wire behind the dash and soldering it into another line.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
jbboater is on a distinguished road
jbboater's Tacoma Gallery
Behind the air conditioner panel on the dash you will find the ecu for the TPMS. Cut the blue wire, connect the end not on the connector to the red\white wire coming out of the same connector. This will shut the light off for good. This applies +5 volts which is exactly how the ecu shuts the light off. "bama trd" posted great instructions. Since there is 5 volts in the same harness it made it easy. Just did it today to get ready for inspection since my sensors are toast. I believe this works on 07+.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
jdh022764 is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jdh022764's Tacoma Gallery
cutting wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbboater View Post
Behind the air conditioner panel on the dash you will find the ecu for the TPMS. Cut the blue wire, connect the end not on the connector to the red\white wire coming out of the same connector. This will shut the light off for good. This applies +5 volts which is exactly how the ecu shuts the light off. "bama trd" posted great instructions. Since there is 5 volts in the same harness it made it easy. Just did it today to get ready for inspection since my sensors are toast. I believe this works on 07+.
if you take your time you can actually pull the wire out of the socket and not cut the wires and then attach them together , that way you can reinstall later and no will will ever know you had your hands in there . i think the ideas that people have on here are great . i still believe you can do the same thing without cutting the factory harness up
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbboater View Post
Aha! I KNEW that that trick would work, I just didn't know which colors to snip! Considering the Yaris (yes, I know it's built in Japan but most Toyotas are designed around the same basic principle) TPMS system hasn't overgone any changes between 2007 and 2012, I can safely infer that this should also be the case here.

Well, I'll be putting that theory to the test soon, going to switch over to some new wheels wearing 265-75R16's on 'em. Wish me luck.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
I am so not concerned about cutting wires.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
devrep is on a distinguished road
devrep's Tacoma Gallery
how about a small stickyback black dot? peel off the backing and stick on the dash lens right over the light? anyone have any carbon fiber stickyback dots?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
JLPruit65 is on a distinguished road
JLPruit65's Tacoma Gallery
jbboater I did this on 2011 so it still works great I didn't cut the blue wire I got a wire connector to connect two wire together and put a fuse link in system and ran it to the Cig. lighter hot wire and done the same time there.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I hate my light.