Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Prerunner brake swap?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Midnight Drifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
Midnight Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner brake swap?

I was curious if it's a bolt in job or not. After some frustrated comparing, I've discovered the pads I want for towing and aggressive driving (EBC Yellow Stuff) are available for the Prerunner models but not my model. The listing on the fitment guide is inaccurate.

Therefore, I'd like to switch over to Prerunner brakes. What's involved, beyond the obvious bleeding the system, calipers, rotors and (duh) pads?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely spindles also
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The best way to do this is to buy a prerunner because nothing from the front suspension of a 6 lug will bolt onto a 5 lug truck.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
IIRC xrunner BBK fit 5 luggers with proper rims no?

Id look into it a lil
TRD makes a kit for the X runner. They are 5 lug.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
thats what I was referring to BBK for teh xrunner.....this isnt scrabble ya poop head

jk, u know what rim size is needed?
Lol.

No clue.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Damn, I forgot about the whole 6-lug spindles part.

This sucks. D:
Old 11-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a bigger bore master cylinder swap..it'll help.
and pads..
Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Valve is dumb as fuck unless you tow often.
I'd eliminate it from the loop.

No links or writeups as I've never done it..I just know from expirience on older Toyota pickups..you use a V6 master cylinder(1" bore)..compared to a 7/8ths bore of a 4 cyl one..bolts right up. Dual diaphragm boosters help too.

Maybe a Tundra master cylinder would work? or some other vehicle..it's all about the bolt pattern on the booster..the piston in the booster will work fine in most master cylinders..it's just all about the bolt pattern of master cylinder.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Valve is dumb as fuck unless you tow often.
I'd eliminate it from the loop.

No links or writeups as I've never done it..I just know from expirience on older Toyota pickups..you use a V6 master cylinder(1" bore)..compared to a 7/8ths bore of a 4 cyl one..bolts right up. Dual diaphragm boosters help too.

Maybe a Tundra master cylinder would work? or some other vehicle..it's all about the bolt pattern on the booster..the piston in the booster will work fine in most master cylinders..it's just all about the bolt pattern of master cylinder.
the master cylinders on the 2nd gens are pretty massive. and i'm pretty sure they are the same size (see below) it's been already stated on XRU and such that there is no real need for an upgrade master cyinder with the TRD BBK or even larger BBKs (one guy i remember was running a 355mm bbk stoptech kit and the master cyl was enough stock)

my truck:

My dad's truck (V6 DCLB PreRunner)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #11
I'll eat all your food.

Good shit Kelson, good to know that.

Looks like your only option is more surface for braking..equal bigger rotors..= relocation brackets for calipers and some random calipers and adapt some mustang rotors or some other type of rotors from a similar hub assembly.

Fuck your guys brakes hahaha.
FJ80 rotors, V6 calipers, V6 master cylinder, and V6 dual diaphgram booster will stop my truck 35% faster then stock brakes and can lock all 4 up if I really wanted to.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Any chance an X-Runner swap would be possible? <.<
Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
Any chance an X-Runner swap would be possible? <.<
I believe all 5 lug brakes are the same. The X is a 5 lug.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Even the X-Runner has same size rotors and calipers? Kind of odd!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
lbhsbz is on a distinguished road
lbhsbz's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a stoptech 5 lug BBK in the classifieds right now for $750
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The best way to do this is to buy a prerunner because nothing from the front suspension of a 6 lug will bolt onto a 5 lug truck.
What he said, I tried swapping uppers, lowers, spindles to my 5lug, thet only thing I got to work was the trd bilstein struts after swapping the upper strut mounts.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
Well, one thing's for sure, I'm definitely going to need better brakes. After a local mountain run of ~ 3.5 mi, my brakes were toast. I guess pads and rotors are my best bet, huh.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Call Edwin at RaceShopper.com and order some SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Install them, bleed your brakes, adjust your rear drums, and you'll be fine.

If you want a little more performance then swap out your flexible rubber brake lines for some stainless braided lines.
Also downshift your trans for engine braking.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
The transmission doesn't like to shift down into 1st unless you're < 25 MPH, and 2nd gear is way too tall for effective engine braking when you're doing a downhill attack.

Probably something y'all would consider lunatic driving, mind you. Highest cornering speeds possible, full acceleration, full braking. Hey, since my truck is low enough to handle this stuff without flipping (for the time being anyways), might as well enjoy it, right? :P

Anyway, thanks for that info. I'll look into the rotors and pads.