Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

anyone added class 3 hitch?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
hammerman is on a distinguished road
hammerman's Tacoma Gallery
anyone added class 3 hitch?

dealer told me i do not need one because bumper is rated for 3500 lbs but i do not like having trailer so close to truck,especially backing.afraid i will get into bumper.anyone know if they bolt on with existing holes? i have a 2012 but assume newer ones would be the same.any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Thorpedo26 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon Thorpe
Thorpedo26's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty sure a few 5 luggers on here bolted on used trd hitches ive looked into it myself
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Hidden Hitch Class 3/4 on my 2009. It bolted to the frame and bumper using existing holes and came with a few spacers and extra bolts for attachment to the frame. I bought the hitch and wiring harness at JCWhitney. If you need it, I can probably dig up the part numbers.

Edit: Just noticed I'm in the five lug forum. My 2009 was a six-lugger and my experience may not hold true for a five-lugger,
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Try what the dealer told you, and when your bumper flys off down the road make em give you a new one
Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if you already found a OEM hitch for cheap. An alternative is aftermarket hitches that will work with your existing bumper (they even have a video with a 5-lugger in it):

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_T...uding+X-Runner
Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
thanks for the replies,the video of installation was very informative.looks so easy.tthanks all
Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
It's easy if you have a helper or a transmission jack. The hitch weighs about 80 lb I believe.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
TurnTheLead is on a distinguished road
TurnTheLead's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the Curt class 3 hitch, model number 13323 (the 2011-approved hitch) on my 2012 Tacoma Prerunner. I had to take the whole bumper off to get it on (not a big deal) but it fits snug and seems very secure. I ordered it from Amazon.com. It came to me in Mississippi in about 3 days with their free shipping.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I use a class 3 hitch on my custom rear bumper on my 5 lug. works great!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have I think a Reece hitch on mine... I didn't put it on a local trailer place did. I know the guy said the whole bumper had to come off to mount it but that's about it.

Do it now though if you're gonna... I waited till I jackknifed a trailer into my bumper to put it on and now I have a nasty crease as a reminder.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnTheLead View Post
I just installed the Curt class 3 hitch, model number 13323 (the 2011-approved hitch) on my 2012 Tacoma Prerunner. I had to take the whole bumper off to get it on (not a big deal) but it fits snug and seems very secure. I ordered it from Amazon.com. It came to me in Mississippi in about 3 days with their free shipping.
I put the same Curt hitch on my 2009 Access Cab but purchased it from eTrailer.com. I pull my Carolina Skiff back and forth across Florida with no problem. I do put the transmissin in third if it starts to hunt between third and fourth gear but am usually able to leave it in 4th. It is more of a problem with the cruise control on.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
i did order a curt from amazon for 133. and free shipping.had bus mechanic who rents from me put it on and he came at lunch and did it with hand sockets and was done in less than hour.you do not take off bumper on my truck.loosen only and then a spacer goes there after you in stall the hitch.looked easy and we had a video showing it put on a 2010 so he knew exactly what bolts to loosen and the 2 that came clear out.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Must differ from 1st to 2nd gen then. I distinctly remember the mechanic guy betting his service writer he could do it in a half hour (they were about 45 min from closing). Then he was like "oh man this is one of the ones that the whole bumper has to come of to mount. Oh well I still bet I can get it done in a half hour."
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
martya is on a distinguished road
martya's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerman View Post
i did order a curt from amazon for 133. and free shipping.had bus mechanic who rents from me put it on and he came at lunch and did it with hand sockets and was done in less than hour.you do not take off bumper on my truck.loosen only and then a spacer goes there after you in stall the hitch.looked easy and we had a video showing it put on a 2010 so he knew exactly what bolts to loosen and the 2 that came clear out.
I just did exactly the same. I used a tie-down strap threaded through empty the backup camera slot in the body just above the bumper to hold the hitch up when I first started the bolts.

Took me about 1 hour. Hand sockets only. Also used the Curt connector wire kit from Amazon. Really easy.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine off ebay for $160 shipped, came with everything accept the ball. Just had to have the cool plug.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
ACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Adam
ACBWV91's Tacoma Gallery
Are these aftermarkets hanging down so you can see the crossbar on the whole thing? Ive been meaning to do some searchin for some pictures to find one that all you can see is the reciever. Any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBWV91 View Post
Are these aftermarkets hanging down so you can see the crossbar on the whole thing? Ive been meaning to do some searchin for some pictures to find one that all you can see is the reciever. Any suggestions?
All the aftermarket hitches seem to be copies of the factory Toyota ones, the place where you hook up the chains looks to be the only difference.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
stockplus is on a distinguished road
Name: L.J.
stockplus's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a receiver from U-Haul (Valley brand) several years back for my '06 4-banger. Price was around $120. Very easy installation, and one of the more attractive designs available IMHO. (The horizonal "crossmembers" are unobtrusive angled round tubes that tuck away beneath the bumper.). I've hauled some heavy stuff with this receiver and it hasn't let me down.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Class IV hitch from the factory but if I was going to tow with your truck I'd get a hitch. I'd never tow from the bumper. I don't care what the dealer says, it's just not a good idea. I had a U-Haul hitch on my old Ranger and it bolted right up with no modification needed at all. It worked great. If I needed on for my Tacoma I'd buy one from them again.

Good luck with your choice and congrats on the new truck!