Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lug, SUA to SOA. lolwut?!?!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug, SUA to SOA. lolwut?!?!

I'm sure it can be done, right?

I have 6 lug leafs installed and I have 6 lug u-bolts and plates on the way from cr250mw2.

Any pro off-road suspension guys know if this is going to totally fuck my drivetrain up?

**Reminder: I've never lifted a vehicle or driven off road.**
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
What are you ultimately trying to accomplish Ryan?
Lift the back without having to buy a huge expensive leaf pack.

I'm also going to throw my stock arms back on up front and find somehow to lift it.

I want to try it out.

To be honest, I think I want to move away from being lowered.

I just had to take some of my drop off to accommodate hauling my bike, and now I hate not being low enough. Might as well not even be lowered.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Lift the back without having to buy a huge expensive leaf pack.

I'm also going to throw my stock arms back on up front and find somehow to lift it.

I want to try it out.

To be honest, I think I want to move away from being lowered.

I just had to take some of my drop off to accommodate hauling my bike, and now I hate not being low enough. Might as well not even be lowered.
Have you right about throwing your stock leafs back on and getting a fat bobs garage 5 lug lift? Lots of trucks running that that look really good. You can run 31s no problem iirc.

Check out the builds of neslerah and stupid hurts.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Have you right about throwing your stock leafs back on and getting a fat bobs garage 5 lug lift? Lots of trucks running that that look really good. You can run 31s no problem iirc.

Check out the builds of neslerah and stupid hurts.
I don't have my stock leafs anymore.

They were only two, the ones I have now are three leafs.

I know of the Fat Bob's lift, but isn't it just a spacer lift?

I was thinking of putting 235/75-15's on the stock rim, or find some lower profile 18's to put on my X-Runner wheels. Just not sure if 18's would be ghey or not. They are way wider though.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have my stock leafs anymore.

They were only two, the ones I have now are three leafs.

I know of the Fat Bob's lift, but isn't it just a spacer lift?

I was thinking of putting 235/75-15's on the stock rim, or find some lower profile 18's to put on my X-Runner wheels. Just not sure if 18's would be ghey or not. They are way wider though.
Yeah the fat bobs lift is just a spacer, but it's pretty much your only option other than
LT for a 5 lug.

I know you can fit 235/75/15s at stock height.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Yeah the fat bobs lift is just a spacer, but it's pretty much your only option other than
LT for a 5 lug.

I know you can fit 235/75/15s at stock height.
Stupid hurts has Sway-A-Ways, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...ml#post2722732
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC taking a 5-lug to SOA requires fabbing spring perches on the axle...you may also need to fab some shackles on the frame in the right locations.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow no shit. I should just shut up now

Didn't realize swayaways made ones that just bolted up, without any fabbing.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
IIRC taking a 5-lug to SOA requires fabbing spring perches on the axle...you may also need to fab some shackles on the frame in the right locations.
Hmmmm. I actually have extended travel shackles from Defined Engineering on my truck right now, http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html

What if I just got the 5100's for the rear? (Direct bolt on for 5 lugs too.)
Wouldn't they be long enough to reach from the upper mount to the spring plate?

Quote:
Wow no shit. I should just shut up now

Didn't realize swayaways made ones that just bolted up, without any fabbing.

haha
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmmm. I actually have extended travel shackles from Defined Engineering on my truck right now, http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html
If you have the extended length shackles from Defined they are taking away lift which you are trying to achieve.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

What if I just got the 5100's for the rear? (Direct bolt on for 5 lugs too.)
Wouldn't they be long enough to reach from the upper mount to the spring plate?

I'm sure you could find some variant of Bilstein with the right travel for your application. Still doesn't get you SOA though. I think you'll also have to have shock mounts fabbed onto the axle...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
If you have the extended length shackles from Defined they are taking away lift which you are trying to achieve.
True, that's why I bought them when I lowered my truck.

They got me down another 1/2".
Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Mob parking lots.

Why do long travel drivers switch to SUA?

I never understood this.

Should I just keep my trucks natural SUA?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
True, that's why I bought them when I lowered my truck.

They got me down another 1/2".
Kinda assumed that

Well maybe switch them out for stock height shackles now?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Kinda assumed that

Well maybe switch them out for stock height shackles now?
I think I still have my stock ones, not sure though.

I just wanted to see if my SOA idea would work.

Front is going to be stock control arms and a spacer for now, I guess.

I really don't understand how to lift the rear without a super arched leaf pack.

Will longer shocks really do the trick for an inch or two?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Ryan, just sell it and get 1st gen 4x4.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Ryan, just sell it and get 1st gen 4x4.
You had me at 1st gen. <69
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
I think I still have my stock ones, not sure though.

I just wanted to see if my SOA idea would work.

Front is going to be stock control arms and a spacer for now, I guess.

I really don't understand how to lift the rear without a super arched leaf pack.

Shocks will not give you any lift, but you will need them to deal with the extra lift otherwise you might over extend your shocks.

It could work but I wouldn't use the 6-Lug pack, as this would give you a crazy rake, I would use a 5-Lug leaf pack.

All you really need is:

- Spring Perches (to be welded on)
- Maybe new front and rear hangers (Or see if you can cut them off a stock 6-lug from junkyard)
- New Shocks (5100s would be fine, or are the 5-Lugs eye-to-eye?)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Why do long travel drivers switch to SUA?

I never understood this.

Should I just keep my trucks natural SUA?
SUA allows more rear axle uptravel at the cost of clearance. For desert stuff clearance isn't really a worry, absorbing big hits is. Going to SUA handles that kind of suspension deformation better.

Quote:

Shocks do not support weight, the leaf springs do.

Rear lift in your situation is difficult. Arched springs are the easiest solution. If you wanted to get more creative there's the option for fabricating mounting locations on the axle for suspension components, OR (and I have no idea if this works because I don't pay any attention to 5-lugs) you might be able to find a 4x4/Pre-runner axle and its attendant leaf springs and bolt all that shit under there.

The concern if you lift so much is that you'd be altering your driveline angle BIG time. You might have to do some custom driveshaft/axle shimming work to get everything to behave without severe vibes.