1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 lugger bs thread

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Joels98taco, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    jacobigindi

jacobigindi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    some of the 5 lugs (i dont know if you have to have the SR5 package or something) come with electronic LSD's which is basically just a system that brakes one wheel or the other based on traction so power can go to the other side. It kinda has nothing to do with the diff itself so it's a bit of a misleading name haha

3:45 of this video shows how it works
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGvhvOhLHU

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Sep 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    nope I have an open diff and nothing fancy like that :eek: but I wonder if I could set up a split e brake to "make" a poor mans auto. Separate left and right e-brake levers like some buggies have.. It allow me to stop the spinning wheel and force the power to the other one. That would be one unique mood I think :cool:

3. Sep 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    jacobigindi

jacobigindi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 5 lug AC
    that would be sick! I'm building a baja buggy with some friends and we were actually thinking about doing something like that instead of putting a rear diff in it, but we decided to stick with a rear diff cuz we're never really going fast enough to pitch it around corners haha

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Steve J

Steve J Steve J

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Canyon Country Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Access Cab 4x2
    Avid front light bar, Avid bolt on sliders, Avid rear bumper protector, T-Rex grill & bumper insert. Still lots to do though.
    I have some before & after pics of the AALs & spacers on my 2012

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    that sounds awesome! How are you building it/ what did it start as?

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Does anyone know if the drain plug on a manual transmission will fit into the drain hole of the rear differential?

7. Sep 24, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I don't, but sounds like a bad day haha

8. Sep 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    The manual transmission drain plug is magnetic but the rear differential drain plug is not. I would buy and extra magnetic plug for the rear differential to collect bits of metal.

9. Sep 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Oh whew, I was having visions of stripped/ rounded drain plugs and immobilized tacos.

10. Sep 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Got some work done on my truck. New break pads, callipers and disks. Found out my I snapped the nut and shock pivot piece so my front shock was just kinda chillin not doing anything..

New coils but I ordered stock replacements the old worn out coils that were on the truck were not stock and so now my truck rides lower, tires rub on the fenders on every little bump and the ride is too soft. Don't know what I need to order now but I want the height and stiffness of the ride back.

11. Sep 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    TheRedTac0

TheRedTac0 Just a Taco guy, both food & truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2006 5-lug Regular Cab Impulse Red
    BHLM, Black Housing Altezza Taillights, 3-piece billet grille, Fatbob's 2.75" Lift with AAL, 15x8 Ion Alloy Wheels wrapped in 31x10.5 Falken's
    Has anyone done fog light installation on their 2nd gen 5-lug?
    I know our models don't come with fogs but I just scored a killer deal and I need to know how to install them, what will I need?

12. Sep 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    thats exactly what konsta did, but on his front wheels. He put 2 over ride buttons in the cab, one for each front wheel (must have been abs so he could force them to lock up) and when he lifted a tire in the front, or one was spinning in sand he could lock that one and send the power down to the other. bretty brilliant. then he got an ARB and that was the end of that haha

13. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    Brendo Ballz808

Brendo Ballz808 Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Check out my build:)
    Mines didn't come with and I installed em
    I bought the eBay smoked ones which are still all there just the swith was POS so I used a different one

Instead of tryna wire it up with the fog light mod connected it straight to the battery grounded it and ran power to the switch so mines are done manually by a switch which I don't mind if they don't go off automatically or not

Fairly simple honestly should be a no brainer bro

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Sep 29, 2013 at 2:51 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I installed a set of PIAA lamps on mine and could not be happier. Install was not all that hard. I have a feeling that when I need to replace a bulb it will be a minor pain since I will need to remove the entire lamp to replace the bulb.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    ok, so I have this '96 5 lugger that I'm thinking about building up a little bit. I've only done a little research so far but it looks like a lot of the suspension stuff is intended more for 6 luggers.

What are my suspension options for my '96 5 lugger?

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but would like something that's at least a slight improvement over stock. At this point, pretty much anything would an improvement over taco leaf spring frown.

Here's more vehicle specs:
    '96
    AC cab
    4 banger
    all stock for now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  16. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    What do you want to do to it?

For front suspension you could get custom CO's, spindles, or a LT kit.
    For the rear any leafs will work if they work on the 6 lugs, shocks will be different length (i think)

17. Sep 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    First, thanks for taking the time to help me. :D

Main thing I want to do is just update the shocks/leafs which are all but blown. If I can, I'd like to add a little lift to it as well since stock height is pretty damn low. It's only a 2wd, 4 banger so there's only so much I can do with it. It's kinda more of a project car. don't really have any real plans for it but at the same time, there's nothing stopping me from doing whatever I want with it (other than money of course). so it's kinda wide open. I'm open to suggestions.

18. Sep 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You have frowny leaves on a 5 lug? I haven't heard of that yet. 6 lug leaves will lower your truck, probably don't want that. I'd say go with an AAL if your leaves are weak (I don't know of any replacement packs offered for us other than just some junkyard ones out of a wrecked truck). Another option (which is what I went with) is shackles for about 2" of rear lift. You retain stock ride quality/load handling but get lift. In your case I think your leaves need help so an AAL would be the best bet. Spindles are probably your cheapest option out front, or maybe extended coils. Again, the spindles will maintain stock ride and handling characteristics so I chose them over coils.

19. Sep 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    No problem

For the leafs you could get new ones, a add a leaf, or refurbish your current ones
    For rear shocks you could go with OEM replacement from auto zone, or you could go with bistein shocks.

For the front springs, i believe moog makes a replacement spring, if you put a v6 spring in it'll lift the truck roughly 1'' or 1.5''.

If i had a little money and time, and fab skills i'd turn the truck into a SAS 5 lug.

20. Sep 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I've got frowning leaves on my 5 lug, it's had a camper shell on it for a while, but not a whole lot besides that.

Products Discussed in

To Top