1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 lugger bs thread

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Joels98taco, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    AeroKen

AeroKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendrick
    Littlefun, CO
    Vehicle:
    2wd Tacoma, 2.7L 5spd
    None so far
    Really thankful for this forum. Just discovered the woes of the 5-lug difference and how we have those dang-nibbiting black boxes in our stock front wells. Well, I am most likely just going to do the simple black box mod and slap on the biggest tires (30x9.5r15) it will take. See how much the 1.57" extra clearance does for me over time. Probably is plenty. Was also considering the fat-bob mod, but after watching the installation video on readylift (for spacers and aal), I decided, I'll go ahead and just wait until it's time to replace the above tires before seriously considering more lift, which I'm not even getting until it's time to replace the 215/70s I'm currently rocking.

Who gets paid to come up with these dead-weight parts for our vehicles anyway?

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    super charger... lol problem solved

yeah that stupid black box made no sense... all that was in mine were leaves and other debris haha

3. Oct 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Looking to bring the rear lift up a bit on the truck. Still looks a little bro'd out. Still confused and pissed about the ICON 3 leaf AAL. Not looking to go the LT route like I see on Stupid and Nakeds truck, but I need to do something.

I can get the AAL for one of the fatbobs/readylift kits or I can get a whole new leaf pack. Bout it, right? Which 5 lug is running the custom Alcan pack...???

On shackles....a longer one on the current 05+ SUA design would actually lower the truck. The reverse of that...shorter shackles, in theory, would lift it?

Stupid wheeling meets, got the mod/redoing my truck so it looks less retarded blood flowing again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  4. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Your idea on shackes isn't fundamentally wrong, but in reality it would be pretty tough to make shackles any shorter. Plus I think you'd lose a lot of your flex by shortening the shackles.

5. Oct 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Yeah, not gonna mess with em. I gotta do something however. Which 5 lug is running the custom Alcan pack, you know?

6. Oct 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    The 2nd gen 5 lugs are still SUA correct?
    i'm not sure that the 3 leaf AAl will lift you.
    I think the most effective way to get lift would be to make the truck SOA, then if you need more lift get a AAL.

Or do a shackle flip.

7. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Yeah, found that out after installing the ICON aal. Had the pack reached 2", wasn't enough. Gained about an inch in the rear.

Think I'm gonna pull the pack back off and take it to the spring shop again, tell them to arch em to provide 1.5-2" of lift.

8. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Disc0Monkey is running a replacement pack from Alcan. I think his pack is same as stock rate but has 2.75" of lift.

9. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    yes, it was the first mod I did. Are they factory fog lights?

10. Oct 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    You just need the wiring kit with a button... and some know how on electrical lol

11. Oct 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    To anyone who has installed the TC UCA's, what kind of grease did you use on the bushings? The install instructions say to use a teflon based grease ie. SuperLube. Just curious if anyone used this or whatever it is they normally use for u-joints.

12. Oct 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    normal ol' stuff

13. Oct 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    TacoMan1911

TacoMan1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TSS DCSB Black DENALI EATER
    Just did a front brake job on my 08. Changed the pads, but the rotors looked good, so I left them alone. Anyone know about when to change the back drums??

14. Oct 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    Take the whole pack to them to arc. If they were sagged before the lift the stock leafs sagged the aal pack. I got 2" from my icons

15. Oct 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Take no offense, just more venting about the rear lift crap I've gone through. The ICON topic makes me angry.

Fuck if I'm wrong, but I really don't believe there was/is a problem with the OE leafs sagging. I mean I work on freakin' cars for a living. There was never any evidence or cause to think that the OE leafs sag (and around 70K?). I would have noticed something in the 2.5 years before I put the lift on. It wouldn't feel right, it wouldn't sound right, it wouldn't sit right....something....

When I measured prelift, the rear was sitting 2in higher than the front.

So I see the ICON aal advertised in a 5 lug specific MT kit, do a little research, try and make sure it's the right thing to spend $200 on and order it....

Put it on and I got little to pretty much nothing out of the aal.

I call ICON about what was going on at the time....and this is the fuckin' kicker...the guy at ICON tells me "That AAL was never designed for a SUA truck"....

What. The. Fuck.

So I have Brad at ICON telling me it wasn't designed for my truck. I see other 5 lugs apparently running the ICON aal and not having issues.

And here I sit....going...:eek:...:confused:....:mad:...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

As of now, I've re-arched the shit outta those ICONs. It was bitch getting those damn things back on today. It's sitting where I should be happy and not have a truck that looks like a retarded bro. I am done fucking this topic for a good while. I want to move on to other mods. I'll keep up with where the rear sits and if's showing any signs of issue, I'll either take whole pack off and arch it or just get a whole new goddamn pack.

I'm happy right now. Water had pooled up in the back of the truck when it was sitting, I let it down and didn't have to watch a waterfall pour out the back of my truck.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  16. Oct 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    he is right they were never designed for a sua truck (they are 6 lug specific) 6 lugs have less arc therefore get more lift out of them. Toyota leafs aren't known for being very good to begin with. and icons (made by deaver) are the same way. they don't make a big difference in height on some trucks but the ride quality is 10x better than your standard aal. trust me there are better alternatives but they aren't cheap and have to be made with lots of arc to raise us 5 lugs and take a lot more as far as shocks go. im into my rear suspension about 900 bucks and it has finally made me happy

17. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Yeah dude not to beat a dead horse or nothing but as far as I understood the ICON AAL was not designed for our 5 lugs nor has there ever been.... I have a Deaver AAL which is the best thing for our trucks... Vince over at SDHQ OFFROAD explained this to me.... our SUAs are very different than SOAs

I'm rocking a full MT Icon setup with TC UCAs

18. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Running with the (mostly) MT also. TC uppers, SAW 2.5's. the ICON aal re-arched to fuck. Cheap ass shocks.

I apparently just went off bad info. I distinctly remember shemicals trying to get folks in on a ICON MT kit for 5 lugs. Said aal was being offered in said kit. I saw several other 5 lug at least claim they were running the ICON also, so...tis' fixed now.

I need a front bumper.

Maybe a locker, how's that working out for you?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  19. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    ahaha dude i love it! full 2WD when I need it.... everywhere ive been i barely use it but when I do... its perfect... It gets me out of everything and it just makes the ride smoother when I want it (washed roads and gravel and what not)

for example at the end of one of our runs we were going down a windy dirt road and i kinda slid a bit... no big deal but the drop off the road would kill haha... so I threw my locker on and boom perfect traction

certain hill I couldnt get up... threw on the locker boom, cake walk.. I can go where most 4x4s can.. only thing i cant do is crawl... but I dont want that :cool:

20. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Had a bad incident on a hill last weekend. Check one of the Harlan threads in SE for the details. I'm turning in for the evening.

Products Discussed in

To Top