Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lugger bs thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #721
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
yup, definitely frowny.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #722
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
What's everyone's favorite street tire?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #723
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
The +05 5-lug uses the same size rear diff as the non-elocker +05 6-lug trucks. The ring and pinion ratios are different but the size of the ring gear is the same. It's commonly called the 8.4" or Tacoma/T100 differential. So the lockers that are meant for the non-elocker 6-lug trucks will fit in the 5-lug trucks. Not too many have put ARB or Richmond lockers in their 5-lugs but there might be a few. I have an Eaton clutch type LSD in mine.
How true do we know this to be?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #724
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
How true do we know this to be?
Way above my head... You may want to post this in the general discussion thread just so all TW guys can give their input. Not many look at the 5 lug area
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #725
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
yup, definitely frowny.

Well I'll be damned. On your shocks question, you're kinda on your own. I ended up ordering a set from Doetsch because they offered a kit that was identical to what I was doing to my truck and already had the shocks worked out for it. Obviously the fronts stay the same as stock since the only changes were below the LCA with the spindles, the rears are a little longer.

I'm sure you can find Bilstein and OME shocks that'll fit but I wouldn't just automatically use the same ones 6 lugs use.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #726
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
Way above my head... You may want to post this in the general discussion thread just so all TW guys can give their input. Not many look at the 5 lug area
Got an answer from rocktoys, its a no go. Super sad cuz it was going to be dirt cheap. The stock xrunner LSD is retardedly expensive.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #727
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 5 lug is now 5 years old. Can't remember a vehicle that has required so little maintenance in 110,000 miles. Still runs like a top.

Love my truck.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #728
Peanut butter mini time

Nice, I have 170k on my 05. Only parts replaced have been the radiator and the waterpump.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #729
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
My '09 5 lug is now 5 years old. Can't remember a vehicle that has required so little maintenance in 110,000 miles. Still runs like a top.

Love my truck.
Sheesh, mine is double your age and same miles.

Still equally reliable though, it had a new water pump put in before I bought it but that's the only failure of anything so far.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #730
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
First, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Main thing I want to do is just update the shocks/leafs which are all but blown. If I can, I'd like to add a little lift to it as well since stock height is pretty damn low. It's only a 2wd, 4 banger so there's only so much I can do with it. It's kinda more of a project car. don't really have any real plans for it but at the same time, there's nothing stopping me from doing whatever I want with it (other than money of course). so it's kinda wide open. I'm open to suggestions.
best bang for your buck:
spindles up front, if your coils are shot replace them with stock replacement coils. v6 coils have a higher spring rate and are slightly bigger on the aftermarket(OD Is bigger) which will rub on the uca
for the rear any aftermarket lift leaf pack will work as long as its made for 2"+ lift on a prerunner or 4x4.
with spindles up front the front shocks can be a stock replacement as for the rear wit any significant lift all factory shock will be too short(only and inch or 2 of droop which will ride terrible. your best bet for rear shocks would be an aftermarket offroad shock valved for a 5 lug and custom mounted. with 2" or less lift stock length shocks will work but with the aal the ride will be slightly stiffter. aal on your current pack will help a bit but it will cause damage to the leafs eventually if they are too worn out
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #731
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
6 lug rear shocks wont work too long at full compression and are valved stiffer on rebound. and the eyelet on the 6 lug is bigger
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #732
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
best bang for your buck:
spindles up front, if your coils are shot replace them with stock replacement coils. v6 coils have a higher spring rate and are slightly bigger on the aftermarket(OD Is bigger) which will rub on the uca
for the rear any aftermarket lift leaf pack will work as long as its made for 2"+ lift on a prerunner or 4x4.
with spindles up front the front shocks can be a stock replacement as for the rear wit any significant lift all factory shock will be too short(only and inch or 2 of droop which will ride terrible. your best bet for rear shocks would be an aftermarket offroad shock valved for a 5 lug and custom mounted. with 2" or less lift stock length shocks will work but with the aal the ride will be slightly stiffter. aal on your current pack will help a bit but it will cause damage to the leafs eventually if they are too worn out
Awesome info! Thanks for your input!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #733
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Girlfriends 2013 with 20k miles on it. She has already put that many miles on it since January of this year She calls it her grocery getter LOL
Attached Thumbnails
5 lugger bs thread-tacos.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #734

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How's she like the 5 lug d-cab? Is it an absolute dog or can it get out of its own way?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #735
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
How's she like the 5 lug d-cab? Is it an absolute dog or can it get out of its own way?
I usually end up driving it when we go on a trip somewhere and it doesn't do hills well at all, it would probably pull hills OK in 3rd gear. Merging onto the freeway and stuff isn't a problem if it's flat. I haven't really gotten on it to see how it really does though. I'm used to my 1st gen double cab with the 3.4
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #736
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I usually end up driving it when we go on a trip somewhere and it doesn't do hills well at all, it would probably pull hills OK in 3rd gear. Merging onto the freeway and stuff isn't a problem if it's flat. I haven't really gotten on it to see how it really does though. I'm used to my 1st gen double cab with the 3.4
its all about tire size and what gears you're running for a 4banger lol I had 32s and stock gears for almost a year and it was a bit sluggish... but after I re geared to 4.10 it ran like normal... My next tacoma will be a DCSB TRD Sport super charged
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #737
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its all about tire size and what gears you're running for a 4banger lol I had 32s and stock gears for almost a year and it was a bit sluggish... but after I re geared to 4.10 it ran like normal... My next tacoma will be a DCSB TRD Sport super charged
Yeah she has stock sized tires. It's not bad
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #738

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its all about tire size and what gears you're running for a 4banger lol
True to a point, for get up and go around town that's fine but mine bugs the hell out of me out on the road, it just needs more power from the engine. I don't wanna re gear and have it spinning 4k RPMs at 75 (it's already screaming at those speeds).

I still might regear sometime in the future, but for now 30's and 3.58 will have to do
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #739
AeroKen is on a distinguished road

Name: Kendrick
AeroKen's Tacoma Gallery
Really thankful for this forum. Just discovered the woes of the 5-lug difference and how we have those dang-nibbiting black boxes in our stock front wells. Well, I am most likely just going to do the simple black box mod and slap on the biggest tires (30x9.5r15) it will take. See how much the 1.57" extra clearance does for me over time. Probably is plenty. Was also considering the fat-bob mod, but after watching the installation video on readylift (for spacers and aal), I decided, I'll go ahead and just wait until it's time to replace the above tires before seriously considering more lift, which I'm not even getting until it's time to replace the 215/70s I'm currently rocking.

Who gets paid to come up with these dead-weight parts for our vehicles anyway?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #740
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True to a point, for get up and go around town that's fine but mine bugs the hell out of me out on the road, it just needs more power from the engine. I don't wanna re gear and have it spinning 4k RPMs at 75 (it's already screaming at those speeds).

I still might regear sometime in the future, but for now 30's and 3.58 will have to do
super charger... lol problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Really thankful for this forum. Just discovered the woes of the 5-lug difference and how we have those dang-nibbiting black boxes in our stock front wells. Well, I am most likely just going to do the simple black box mod and slap on the biggest tires (30x9.5r15) it will take. See how much the 1.57" extra clearance does for me over time. Probably is plenty. Was also considering the fat-bob mod, but after watching the installation video on readylift (for spacers and aal), I decided, I'll go ahead and just wait until it's time to replace the above tires before seriously considering more lift, which I'm not even getting until it's time to replace the 215/70s I'm currently rocking.

Who gets paid to come up with these dead-weight parts for our vehicles anyway?
yeah that stupid black box made no sense... all that was in mine were leaves and other debris haha

Products Discussed in this Thread