Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 lugger bs thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #741
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to bring the rear lift up a bit on the truck. Still looks a little bro'd out. Still confused and pissed about the ICON 3 leaf AAL. Not looking to go the LT route like I see on Stupid and Nakeds truck, but I need to do something.

I can get the AAL for one of the fatbobs/readylift kits or I can get a whole new leaf pack. Bout it, right? Which 5 lug is running the custom Alcan pack...???

On shackles....a longer one on the current 05+ SUA design would actually lower the truck. The reverse of that...shorter shackles, in theory, would lift it?

Stupid wheeling meets, got the mod/redoing my truck so it looks less retarded blood flowing again.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #742
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Your idea on shackes isn't fundamentally wrong, but in reality it would be pretty tough to make shackles any shorter. Plus I think you'd lose a lot of your flex by shortening the shackles.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #743
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Your idea on shackes isn't fundamentally wrong, but in reality it would be pretty tough to make shackles any shorter. Plus I think you'd lose a lot of your flex by shortening the shackles.
Yeah, not gonna mess with em. I gotta do something however. Which 5 lug is running the custom Alcan pack, you know?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #744
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
The 2nd gen 5 lugs are still SUA correct?
i'm not sure that the 3 leaf AAl will lift you.
I think the most effective way to get lift would be to make the truck SOA, then if you need more lift get a AAL.

Or do a shackle flip.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
The 2nd gen 5 lugs are still SUA correct?
i'm not sure that the 3 leaf AAl will lift you.
I think the most effective way to get lift would be to make the truck SOA, then if you need more lift get a AAL.

Or do a shackle flip.
Yeah, found that out after installing the ICON aal. Had the pack reached 2", wasn't enough. Gained about an inch in the rear.

Think I'm gonna pull the pack back off and take it to the spring shop again, tell them to arch em to provide 1.5-2" of lift.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #746
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Looking to bring the rear lift up a bit on the truck. Still looks a little bro'd out. Still confused and pissed about the ICON 3 leaf AAL. Not looking to go the LT route like I see on Stupid and Nakeds truck, but I need to do something.

I can get the AAL for one of the fatbobs/readylift kits or I can get a whole new leaf pack. Bout it, right? Which 5 lug is running the custom Alcan pack...???

On shackles....a longer one on the current 05+ SUA design would actually lower the truck. The reverse of that...shorter shackles, in theory, would lift it?

Stupid wheeling meets, got the mod/redoing my truck so it looks less retarded blood flowing again.
Disc0Monkey is running a replacement pack from Alcan. I think his pack is same as stock rate but has 2.75" of lift.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #747
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTac0 View Post
Has anyone done fog light installation on their 2nd gen 5-lug?
I know our models don't come with fogs but I just scored a killer deal and I need to know how to install them, what will I need?
yes, it was the first mod I did. Are they factory fog lights?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #749
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
To anyone who has installed the TC UCA's, what kind of grease did you use on the bushings? The install instructions say to use a teflon based grease ie. SuperLube. Just curious if anyone used this or whatever it is they normally use for u-joints.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #750
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
To anyone who has installed the TC UCA's, what kind of grease did you use on the bushings? The install instructions say to use a teflon based grease ie. SuperLube. Just curious if anyone used this or whatever it is they normally use for u-joints.
normal ol' stuff
Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #751
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Just did a front brake job on my 08. Changed the pads, but the rotors looked good, so I left them alone. Anyone know about when to change the back drums??
Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #752
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, found that out after installing the ICON aal. Had the pack reached 2", wasn't enough. Gained about an inch in the rear.

Think I'm gonna pull the pack back off and take it to the spring shop again, tell them to arch em to provide 1.5-2" of lift.
Take the whole pack to them to arc. If they were sagged before the lift the stock leafs sagged the aal pack. I got 2" from my icons
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
Take the whole pack to them to arc. If they were sagged before the lift the stock leafs sagged the aal pack. I got 2" from my icons
Take no offense, just more venting about the rear lift crap I've gone through. The ICON topic makes me angry.

Fuck if I'm wrong, but I really don't believe there was/is a problem with the OE leafs sagging. I mean I work on freakin' cars for a living. There was never any evidence or cause to think that the OE leafs sag (and around 70K?). I would have noticed something in the 2.5 years before I put the lift on. It wouldn't feel right, it wouldn't sound right, it wouldn't sit right....something....

When I measured prelift, the rear was sitting 2in higher than the front.

So I see the ICON aal advertised in a 5 lug specific MT kit, do a little research, try and make sure it's the right thing to spend $200 on and order it....

Put it on and I got little to pretty much nothing out of the aal.

I call ICON about what was going on at the time....and this is the fuckin' kicker...the guy at ICON tells me "That AAL was never designed for a SUA truck"....

What. The. Fuck.

So I have Brad at ICON telling me it wasn't designed for my truck. I see other 5 lugs apparently running the ICON aal and not having issues.

And here I sit....going.............

As of now, I've re-arched the shit outta those ICONs. It was bitch getting those damn things back on today. It's sitting where I should be happy and not have a truck that looks like a retarded bro. I am done fucking this topic for a good while. I want to move on to other mods. I'll keep up with where the rear sits and if's showing any signs of issue, I'll either take whole pack off and arch it or just get a whole new goddamn pack.

I'm happy right now. Water had pooled up in the back of the truck when it was sitting, I let it down and didn't have to watch a waterfall pour out the back of my truck.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #754
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Take no offense, just more venting about the rear lift crap I've gone through. The ICON topic makes me angry.

Fuck if I'm wrong, but I really don't believe there was/is a problem with the OE leafs sagging. I mean I work on freakin' cars for a living. There was never any evidence or cause to think that the OE leafs sag (and around 70K?). I would have noticed something in the 2.5 years before I put the lift on. It wouldn't feel right, it wouldn't sound right, it wouldn't sit right....something....

So I see the ICON aal advertised in a 5 lug specific MT kit, do a little research, try and make sure it's the right thing to spend $200 on and order it....

I call ICON about what was going on at the time....and this is the fuckin' kicker...the guy at ICON tells me "That AAL was never designed for a SUA truck"....

What. The. Fuck.

So I have Brad at ICON telling me it wasn't designed for my truck. I see other 5 lugs apparently running the ICON aal and not having issues.

As of now, I've re-arched the shit outta those ICONs. It was bitch getting those damn things back on today. It's sitting where I should be happy and not have a truck that looks like a retarded bro. I am done fucking this topic for a good while. I want to move on to other mods. I'll keep up with where the rear sits and if's showing any signs of issue, I'll either take whole pack off and arch it or just get a whole new goddamn pack.

I'm happy right now. Water had pooled up in the back of the truck when it was sitting, I let it down and didn't have to watch a waterfall pour out the back of my truck.
he is right they were never designed for a sua truck (they are 6 lug specific) 6 lugs have less arc therefore get more lift out of them. Toyota leafs aren't known for being very good to begin with. and icons (made by deaver) are the same way. they don't make a big difference in height on some trucks but the ride quality is 10x better than your standard aal. trust me there are better alternatives but they aren't cheap and have to be made with lots of arc to raise us 5 lugs and take a lot more as far as shocks go. im into my rear suspension about 900 bucks and it has finally made me happy
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #755
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What. The. Fuck.

Yeah dude not to beat a dead horse or nothing but as far as I understood the ICON AAL was not designed for our 5 lugs nor has there ever been.... I have a Deaver AAL which is the best thing for our trucks... Vince over at SDHQ OFFROAD explained this to me.... our SUAs are very different than SOAs

I'm rocking a full MT Icon setup with TC UCAs
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
Yeah dude not to beat a dead horse or nothing but as far as I understood the ICON AAL was not designed for our 5 lugs nor has there ever been.... I have a Deaver AAL which is the best thing for our trucks... Vince over at SDHQ OFFROAD explained this to me.... our SUAs are very different than SOAs

I'm rocking a full MT Icon setup with TC UCAs
Running with the (mostly) MT also. TC uppers, SAW 2.5's. the ICON aal re-arched to fuck. Cheap ass shocks.

I apparently just went off bad info. I distinctly remember shemicals trying to get folks in on a ICON MT kit for 5 lugs. Said aal was being offered in said kit. I saw several other 5 lug at least claim they were running the ICON also, so...tis' fixed now.

I need a front bumper.

Maybe a locker, how's that working out for you?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #757
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Running with the (mostly) MT also. TC uppers, SAW 2.5's. the ICON aal re-arched to fuck. Cheap ass shocks.

I apparently just went off bad info. I distinctly remember shemicals trying to get folks in on a ICON MT kit for 5 lugs. Said aal was being offered in said kit. I saw several other 5 lug at least claim they were running the ICON also, so...tis' fixed now.

I need a front bumper.

Maybe a locker, how's that working out for you?
ahaha dude i love it! full 2WD when I need it.... everywhere ive been i barely use it but when I do... its perfect... It gets me out of everything and it just makes the ride smoother when I want it (washed roads and gravel and what not)

for example at the end of one of our runs we were going down a windy dirt road and i kinda slid a bit... no big deal but the drop off the road would kill haha... so I threw my locker on and boom perfect traction

certain hill I couldnt get up... threw on the locker boom, cake walk.. I can go where most 4x4s can.. only thing i cant do is crawl... but I dont want that
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #758

Quote:
ahaha dude i love it! full 2WD when I need it.... everywhere ive been i barely use it but when I do... its perfect... It gets me out of everything and it just makes the ride smoother when I want it (washed roads and gravel and what not)

for example at the end of one of our runs we were going down a windy dirt road and i kinda slid a bit... no big deal but the drop off the road would kill haha... so I threw my locker on and boom perfect traction

certain hill I couldnt get up... threw on the locker boom, cake walk.. I can go where most 4x4s can.. only thing i cant do is crawl... but I dont want that
Had a bad incident on a hill last weekend. Check one of the Harlan threads in SE for the details. I'm turning in for the evening.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #759
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had a bad incident on a hill last weekend. Check one of the Harlan threads in SE for the details. I'm turning in for the evening.
lol y u no post link?! ....searching the web..
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #760

Quote:
lol y u no post link?! ....searching the web..
Search N00b.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...eply&p=7567299

Quote:
For ones who didn't see me actually get stuck on that hill. It got real sketchy. Real quick. Got stuck, then started sliding down the hill sideways. No traction with the front tires, couldn't get the back end swung back around to the right. Very close to going off the embankment.

Again, huge thanks to Gideon (and Sarah, who was hooking up the snatch strap) for getting me down off that hill.

No worries on leaving my truck were were did. After my incident and then the guy on the bike screwing things up worse, I think folks just wanted to get going and not dick around more.

Products Discussed in this Thread