Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 Lug Regearing BS and Info

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I plan on running 33s and was wondering if the 4.10s would be a good match.
Sell me your skidplate? lol
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Sell me your skidplate? lol
Not yet. Instead of getting a full front bumper built, I'm going to slap on some bumper caps to match the lines of the front fenders. For now, as long as I'm running the stock front bumper, the skidplate is staying.

Btw, truck looks good. Let's go offroading sometime and test those new UCAs and coilovers. Are you eyeballing those used T100 4.10s on EGS?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not yet. Instead of getting a full front bumper built, I'm going to slap on some bumper caps to match the lines of the front fenders. For now, as long as I'm running the stock front bumper, the skidplate is staying.

Btw, truck looks good. Let's go offroading sometime and test those new UCAs and coilovers. Are you eyeballing those used T100 4.10s on EGS?
you getting fiberglass?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Are you eyeballing those used T100 4.10s on EGS?
Yes.

I found some on the local Craigslist for $30. Just need to know what truck they're out of. It says Toyota 8", but it might be an 8.4"

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2752731455.html
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #25
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Obviously, I would be concerned about power loss and fuel economy. I'd still like to keep above 20+ MPGs, you think thats attainable with stock gears and 30's?

What about like 3.90 and 30's?
Using the Tire Size Calculator, 3.91 running 30" tires will put you with 'factory ratios'. You should be getting 20+ MPG.

Quote:
So much good knowledge!

I am under the impression that my base model 2WD non-locked rear end is also the same 8.4" diff. Correct?

If I find 4.10 gears from a Tacoma (all years) or a T100 (all years) they should fit. Correct?

Some of you might know I just went from lowered to mid-travel on 32" tires.
Not all 8.4" are the same, i.e. Toyota Sequoia are also 8.4", but their gears will not work in our 5 lug diffs. Just because of the design of our carriers.

V6 Tacoma (2wd) and T100 gears will work on a 5lug diff.

The key difference between Tacoma 8" and 8.4" is the diameter of the pinion gear shaft. The few guys that have regeared a 5lug have had to purchase a new diff carrier to make it fit.

BTW, the truck looks awesome lifted.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post

Not all 8.4" are the same, i.e. Toyota Sequoia are also 8.4", but their gears will not work in our 5 lug diffs. Just because of the design of our carriers.

V6 Tacoma (2wd) and T100 gears will work on a 5lug diff.

The key difference between Tacoma 8" and 8.4" is the diameter of the pinion gear shaft. The few guys that have regeared a 5lug have had to purchase a new diff carrier to make it fit.

BTW, the truck looks awesome lifted.
I knew I had to stick with T100 and Tacoma's. Didn't know I had to stick to PreRunner Tacos. Good knowledge there.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I got some backlash from the lowered community, but fuck it. BUTT FUCK IT.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #27
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
gearing depends if you are auto or manual. if auto you should look into 4.30 or 4.56
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #28
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
you getting fiberglass?
Already have the fronts. Just have to get the bumper caps and rear glass.

Quote:
Yes.

I found some on the local Craigslist for $30. Just need to know what truck they're out of. It says Toyota 8", but it might be an 8.4"

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2752731455.html
Two sets of 4.10s for $30? Damn, if they are for our 8.4", can I go in on that deal with you for a set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
gearing depends if you are auto or manual. if auto
you should look into 4.30 or 4.56
Hmm, I'm auto. Care to explain?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #29
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Already have the fronts. Just have to get the bumper caps and rear glass.

Two sets of 4.10s for $30? Damn, if they are for our 8.4", can I go in on that deal with you for a set?

Hmm, I'm auto. Care to explain?
pics?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #30
Hoogie boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
pics?
I haven't picked them up yet. They're still at Engage.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #31
Banned
Quote:
I haven't picked them up yet. They're still at Engage.
you get glassworks?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #32
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
(4cyl 5 speed)
30's no regear
31-32's 4.10
33's 4.56
I have has ran all of these in diffrent combos and this is the best set up imo all on 15 inch rims btw .

I currently run 4.88 w/lsd on my 5 lug but would not recommend it to anyone that daily drives thier truck.
I also have a set of 4.56 for 50 bucks if anyone is intrested lol
Old 12-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #33
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I knew I had to stick with T100 and Tacoma's. Didn't know I had to stick to PreRunner Tacos. Good knowledge there.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I got some backlash from the lowered community, but fuck it. BUTT FUCK IT.
pretty much nothing that is a 4x4 or a prerunner with a factory locker ..they are 8" rear ends ... the xrunners have the same rear end as us too.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
I guess i'll be the first to chime in about about us lowly first gens with the 7.5" rear end. It's really fucking shitty trying to find c-list/used parts on the cheap for this axle...
Anybody know what other trucks this axle came in? I think it was just a bastard set up for 1st gen tacos. Or did the earllier toyota 5 lug pick-ups use the 7.5" rear end as well?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #35
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
I guess i'll be the first to chime in about about us lowly first gens with the 7.5" rear end. It's really fucking shitty trying to find c-list/used parts on the cheap for this axle...
Anybody know what other trucks this axle came in? I think it was just a bastard set up for 1st gen tacos. Or did the earllier toyota 5 lug pick-ups use the 7.5" rear end as well?
Huh?

All of my research says that first gen and second gen 5 lug and 6 lug non-locked all have 8.4" diffs.

Amiwrong?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #36
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
(4cyl 5 speed)
30's no regear
31-32's 4.10
33's 4.56
I have has ran all of these in diffrent combos and this is the best set up imo all on 15 inch rims btw .

I currently run 4.88 w/lsd on my 5 lug but would not recommend it to anyone that daily drives thier truck.
Wtf Cody? lol

What about 32's with 18" wheels? haha What gearing then?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #37
Quote:
Wtf Cody? lol

What about 32's with 18" wheels? haha What gearing then?
18 w off road tires is dumb lol sell ur rims and get some 15/16. No one runs 18's
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #38
Quote:
Huh?

All of my research says that first gen and second gen 5 lug and 6 lug non-locked all have 8.4" diffs.

Amiwrong?
you are wrong ... not all 1st gen 5lugs are 8.4 .. i think none are . 2nd gen 5 lug yes . some first genn prerunners (6lug) are 8.4
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #39
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you are wrong ... not all 1st gen 5lugs are 8.4 .. i think none are . 2nd gen 5 lug yes . some first genn prerunners (6lug) are 8.4
all first gen 5lugs are 7.5's according to my research.

I did however get a lot of contradicting info online untill i read it in the manual and id'd my axle.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
Banned
Quote:
(4cyl 5 speed)
30's no regear
31-32's 4.10
33's 4.56

pmd about your 4.56's