Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

5 Lug Regearing BS and Info

Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
5 Lug Regearing BS and Info

So I see and hear everyone talking about regearing to regain factory power with bigger tires blah blah blah.

I am asking you wonderful five lug owners what actually happens when the truck is regeared?

How much do gears go for?

What is the difference between gear size?

What is the difference between types of lockers?

What is the benefit of a locker vs a non locker?

What happens if i do not but a higher gear ratio with a locker?

What are the mystical 4.10's i keep reading about?

When you regear do you get better gas mileage?

Which gears are best for 2nd gen 5 lugs with 33x12.5 inch tires?

Where do you acquire said gears?

PLEASE POST ANY INFO YOU MAY HAVE AND ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IF POSSIBLE.

I know i could search but i felt that it would be beneficial for every five lugger to have all the knowledge in one convenient thread.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of questions.....I'll try to answer some of them in a few minutes
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Here ya go

Hopefully some others will reply to add in their opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
So I see and hear everyone talking about regearing to regain factory power with bigger tires blah blah blah.

I am asking you wonderful five lug owners what actually happens when the truck is regeared?

How much do gears go for?
Depends. Used are anyone's guess. I've seen them anywhere from free to over a hundred for a used set of 4.10s. New are a couple hundred bucks, plus an install kit which can be around the same.

What is the difference between gear size?
Size or ratio? You've got to have the correct size gears or they won't fit. 2nd gen 5 lugs have the 8.4 tacoma/T100 differential. As for ratio, larger number = lower gearing.

What is the difference between types of lockers?
ARB air locker is selectable. You turn it on/off when you want it to be locked. Probably the most respected locker. Requires onboard air also available from ARB. Should probably be used offroad only. Convenient b/c they can activated when you want it.
Autolockers like a powertrax locks when torque is applied to the driveline. They are supposed to unlock when going around turns but can be kind of noisy. Cheap and relatively easy to install, decent offroad rep but not regarded as having the best onroad manners by some.

What is the benefit of a locker vs a non locker?
Locking the rear axle gives more traction on most surfaces. With an open diff, torque is applied to the wheel with the least resistance. In cases where one wheel is slipping (ice, mud, in the air, etc.) then the other wheel gets no torque and the truck is stationary. With a locker, torque is applied to both wheels equally. This can be a good thing offroad as it aids in getting you unstuck. On road is a different story since the wheels need to be able to turn at different speeds when making turns.

What happens if i buy a higher gear ratio without a locker?
You'll have your power back but still have an open differential which limits your traction offroad.

What are the mystical 4.10's i keep reading about?
Stock gears on the 4cyl 6 lug prerunners and 4wd trucks. Can only be found on the used market to my knowledge.

When you regear do you get better gas mileage?
Sometimes. Depends on how you drive and where. The idea of regearing is to put your engine RPMs back in their optimal powerband or above if you want more power for offroading.

Which gears are best for 2nd gen 5 lugs with 33x12.5 inch tires?
Depends on what you want to do with it. I'm running 4.10's with 31" tires. I think 08pretaco is running 4.56 gears on his 4cyl prerunner with 33" tires. The tire size calculator or a gear ratio calculator can be helpful.

Where do you acquire said gears?
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com is a great place for aftermarket gears, lockers, and third member swaps. Forum classifieds can be a good place to find used gears or third members.

PLEASE POST ANY INFO YOU MAY HAVE AND ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IF POSSIBLE.

I know i could search but i felt that it would be beneficial for every five lugger to have all the knowledge in one convenient thread.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Here ya go

Hopefully some others will reply to add in their opinions.
OOH So knowledgable thanks!

although one question was misunderstood:

You'll have better traction offroad but still lack power. You will have also spent a crap load of money to have someone tear apart your diff just to install a locker when for the extra cost of gears you could have power plus traction.

I meant what if i buy a higher gear ratio without the locker (upgrade to 4.10s or 4.56s but do not install a locker):
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OOH So knowledgable thanks!

although one question was misunderstood:

You'll have better traction offroad but still lack power. You will have also spent a crap load of money to have someone tear apart your diff just to install a locker when for the extra cost of gears you could have power plus traction.

I meant what if i buy a higher gear ratio without the locker (upgrade to 4.10s or 4.56s but do not install a locker):
Sorry about that, I guess I misread your question. I'll correct it in my post above.

Edit: Corrected in previous post.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Sorry about that, I guess I misread your question. I'll correct it in my post above.

Edit: Corrected in previous post.
No no my question was posed incorrectly.

thank you again!

so i found this

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-156...itro-gear.html

but i need a master install kit with it?

first would this gear fit or would i need a different set?

also can you show me which master kit i would need? sorry for the derp
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #7

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No no my question was posed incorrectly.

thank you again!

so i found this

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-156...itro-gear.html

but i need a master install kit with it?

first would this gear fit or would i need a different set?

also can you show me which master kit i would need? sorry for the derp
That set is for an older toyota 8" third. You need the ones for an 8.4". http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-616...a-non-eld.html

They also have a used set of 4.10s for sale. http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-121...sed-parts.html

A master install kit may not be needed depending on who does it, ie. they may already have the parts needed, and the condition of your diff. A master install includes new bearings which you may not need.

Another option is to buy a third member built with a locker and the gear ratio you want. ECGS sells these as well. http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-788...undra-3rd.html This way you can just change out your third member.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
sub'd
When's your's getting done?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When's your's getting done?

At the moment, I am done modding my 5 lugger. I am saving money to buy a 4x4. I still have a set of 4.10 ring and pinion that still needs to be installed. I decided not to buy an ARB locker for my 5lug, instead I would like to install it on a 4x4 (but not necessary if I get a TRD Offroad). Besides, I really like the poor man locker. This method has really worked in my favor a few times.

Did you get your flange situation taken care of? What gears are you running?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
aggiepack is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
aggiepack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am saving money to buy a 4x4.
New 4x4 woohoo!! which means a new build thread by harrelsen!!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #13

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
At the moment, I am done modding my 5 lugger. I am saving money to buy a 4x4. I still have a set of 4.10 ring and pinion that still needs to be installed. I decided not to buy an ARB locker for my 5lug, instead I would like to install it on a 4x4 (but not necessary if I get a TRD Offroad). Besides, I really like the poor man locker. This method has really worked in my favor a few times.

Did you get your flange situation taken care of? What gears are you running?
All taken care of. Got the right flange and the third installed a while back. 4.10's with a clutch type LSD. Pretty happy with the setup for the type of driving I do, mostly on road with a few trails to get to hunting spots.

Good to see around again harrelson.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
All taken care of. Got the right flange and the third installed a while back. 4.10's with a clutch type LSD. Pretty happy with the setup for the type of driving I do, mostly on road with a few trails to get to hunting spots.

Good to see around again harrelson.

Thanks, it is good to catch on TW. I have had a tough semester. So I have more time to chime in on TW and other forums.

Did you do the 3rd diff swap yourself?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Wife gave the OK to get new gears after the holidays!

Thoughts on 30's and 4.10...

Good match?

Have also seen 3.90 set on the ECGS site.

Also, what about re-gearing before getting bigger tires? What kind of effect might be had from rolling around on my current tires with a re-gear until they wear out. I've got 225/75's now.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, it is good to catch on TW. I have had a tough semester. So I have more time to chime in on TW and other forums.

Did you do the 3rd diff swap yourself?
I made two attempts which failed b/c I overlooked one thing or another, so I finally took it to a shop and they did it for a couple hundred. I just didn't want to fool with it again. Wouldn't have been too difficult if I didn't forget to swap out the pinion flange the first time.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Who needs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Thoughts on 30's and 4.10...

Good match?

Have also seen 3.90 set on the ECGS site.

Also, what about re-gearing before getting bigger tires? What kind of effect might be had from rolling around on my current tires with a re-gear until they wear out. I've got 225/75's now.
Your stock gears are 3.58, you should be fine to run 30" tires. IMO, any 5 lug should consider regearing when they plan to run 31s and bigger tires.

Quote:
I made two attempts which failed b/c I overlooked one thing or another, so I finally took it to a shop and they did it for a couple hundred. I just didn't want to fool with it again. Wouldn't have been too difficult if I didn't forget to swap out the pinion flange the first time.
I bought a complete 3rd member with 4.10s from a member here at a really good price. But after receiving it in the mail, I was able to determine I was sold a diff with 3.91 gear ratio. I decided to install it anyways, I too had issues with the flange, two different sizes. I just posted it on Craigslist and it sold within one day.

As for the install, it was easy than I thought. I was going to create a DIY thread for other members, but I have no one to take pictures while I am working. I don't want to stop every couple minutes to clean my hands and take pictures.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your stock gears are 3.58, you should be fine to run 30" tires. IMO, any 5 lug should consider regearing when they plan to run 31s and bigger tires.
Obviously, I would be concerned about power loss and fuel economy. I'd still like to keep above 20+ MPGs, you think thats attainable with stock gears and 30's?

What about like 3.90 and 30's?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
So much good knowledge!

I am under the impression that my base model 2WD non-locked rear end is also the same 8.4" diff. Correct?

If I find 4.10 gears from a Tacoma (all years) or a T100 (all years) they should fit. Correct?

Some of you might know I just went from lowered to mid-travel on 32" tires.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
So much good knowledge!

I am under the impression that my base model 2WD non-locked rear end is also the same 8.4" diff. Correct?

If I find 4.10 gears from a Tacoma (all years) or a T100 (all years) they should fit. Correct?

Some of you might know I just went from lowered to mid-travel on 32" tires.
I'm wondering the same thing. I plan on running 33s and was wondering if the 4.10s would be a good match.