Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Call me crazy, but I like the spare wheel...

Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
aggiepack is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
aggiepack's Tacoma Gallery
Call me crazy, but I like the spare wheel...

Today the weather was good enough for me to paint the stock spare tire black to see if I liked the look or not. When I took it off (i've only had to take it off once before for air) it dawned on me that it's a different wheel than the other 4 stock steelies. At first, I thought "oh great it's different I'm not going to get a good idea of whether or not it's going to look good", but then at a second glance i actually started to like it, and I think it's because it reminded me of the crager 398 wheel. Again I'm not talking about the 215 firestone tire I'm just talking about the look of the spare wheel. And then I started thinking what would my taco look like if all 4 of my wheels were this wannabe looking cragar instead. To be honest, if I could magically trade my 4 stock steelies for 4 spare ones (keep my tires of course) I would because I like the look of the spare wheel more, but that's just my opinion. Anyone else think of this before or even look at their factory spare tire before ?

When I'm done painting my wheels tomorrow or Sunday I'll post a picture or two on this thread for people to see how their stock steelies would look black so they don't need to search for any other pictures. It took me a while to find a good amount of different blacked out stock steelies, and hopefully this will help others decided whether or not they want to. I plan on keeping the lug nuts chrome, painting the plastic cap black as well, but try to find a small container of a gunmetal color to paint the toyota emblem of the cap just to make it stand out a bit.

note to the picture below vvv the tire is extremely dirty and it makes everything looks worse i swear. and yup that's some primer on the side of the wheel. i didn't really care if i got it on or not because 1) no one is ever going to see it again 2) it's not like i'm really going to try and sell that tire and 3)i was lazy :X of course i'm not going to do this to the real ones this weekend

Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Looks better
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
jpaw30 is on a distinguished road
jpaw30's Tacoma Gallery
spare rim look does nothing for me. Looks like you couldnt afford real rims or hubcaps
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Call me crazy but i run 4 spares as my regular wheels lol (Fj Steelies).
Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hence Beauty lay in the eye of the beholder
Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I think the spare looks pretty good..
Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I think they do look better. Heres a dude put on Camry steel wheels which can be had in 6.5 width: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...teous-c-n.html
Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Mr. Magoo
MonkeyChief is on a distinguished road

Name: Citizen #1839-7634-001
MonkeyChief's Tacoma Gallery
I like these too, I want to run a set but haven't found anything that would come out to less than $600 for wheels and caps. I have tried CL and looking here. any suggestions?

I have also heard that the FJ steelies have a different backspacing so they stick out about 1" farther than the TRD sports, can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's all in your head. To most people, the black spare wheel are the same as the steelies that come standard on base model Corollas and such.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by damole View Post
I like these too, I want to run a set but haven't found anything that would come out to less than $600 for wheels and caps. I have tried CL and looking here. any suggestions?

I have also heard that the FJ steelies have a different backspacing so they stick out about 1" farther than the TRD sports, can anyone confirm this?
They do stick out further, 4.5" back spacing on a 7.5" rim. Check these guys out, i paid 260 otd for 4 brand new fj steelies with caps. Fj owners want way too much for them.http://shop.wheelsexpressonline.com/...EELS-69504.htm