1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Call me crazy, but I like the spare wheel...

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by aggiepack, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM
    aggiepack

aggiepack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    [**SOLD**] '08 Super White reg. cab waiting for the '16
    Fat Bob's 5 lug 2."75" Lift Kit, Fat Bob's Performance 8000 Rear Shocks, 235/75/15 BFG A/T tires, UWS Low Profile Tool Box, AVID Off Road Sliders, Chrome Grille Assembly, Fog Lights, Black badges, Tinted Rear Window, TRD Bed Mat, TRD Off Road Floor Mats, Maglite Mount, CoverKing Seat Covers
    Today the weather was good enough for me to paint the stock spare tire black to see if I liked the look or not. When I took it off (i've only had to take it off once before for air) it dawned on me that it's a different wheel than the other 4 stock steelies. At first, I thought "oh great it's different I'm not going to get a good idea of whether or not it's going to look good", but then at a second glance i actually started to like it, and I think it's because it reminded me of the crager 398 wheel. Again I'm not talking about the 215 firestone tire I'm just talking about the look of the spare wheel. And then I started thinking what would my taco look like if all 4 of my wheels were this wannabe looking cragar instead. To be honest, if I could magically trade my 4 stock steelies for 4 spare ones (keep my tires of course) I would because I like the look of the spare wheel more, but that's just my opinion. Anyone else think of this before or even look at their factory spare tire before :rolleyes:?

When I'm done painting my wheels tomorrow or Sunday I'll post a picture or two on this thread for people to see how their stock steelies would look black so they don't need to search for any other pictures. It took me a while to find a good amount of different blacked out stock steelies, and hopefully this will help others decided whether or not they want to. I plan on keeping the lug nuts chrome, painting the plastic cap black as well, but try to find a small container of a gunmetal color to paint the toyota emblem of the cap just to make it stand out a bit.

note to the picture below vvv the tire is extremely dirty and it makes everything looks worse i swear. and yup that's some primer on the side of the wheel. i didn't really care if i got it on or not because 1) no one is ever going to see it again 2) it's not like i'm really going to try and sell that tire and 3)i was lazy :X of course i'm not going to do this to the real ones this weekend

[​IMG]

2. Dec 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    Looks better

3. Dec 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    jpaw30

jpaw30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    spare rim look does nothing for me. Looks like you couldnt afford real rims or hubcaps

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    broken taco

broken taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego / Houston
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5 4WD
    Trail gear 3 Link Solid Axle Swap kit, 14 " Fox coil overs with reservoirs up front, Chevy 63 leaf spring swap with ruff stuffs Chevy 63 swap kit, 14 "Fox shocks on the rear, 37" tires, Custom front bumper by Next Venture Motor Sports with a warn winch, glassworks unlimited fender flares, custom rock rails with kickups (modeled after Relentless Fab Rock sliders), rear bumper from streetacos.com (with custom rap around protection for fiberglass fenders and the hitch receiver hidden behind the license plate that is on hinges), HID off road lights on front bumper, rigid pods on rear bumper with red back lighting, high lift mounted in the bed, onboard air, Flowmaster muffler, aftermarket air intake, alarm system, Alpine Deck, Alpine amp, Alpine speakers, JL W6 12" subwoofer, JL amp.
    i like the spare rim also. my friends think im crazy

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Call me crazy but i run 4 spares as my regular wheels lol (Fj Steelies).

6. Dec 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Hence Beauty lay in the eye of the beholder

7. Dec 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I think the spare looks pretty good..

8. Dec 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    ISUGrad05

ISUGrad05 Public Servant Enemy #1

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 5.7 Tundra DoubleCab
  9. Jan 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    MonkeyChief

MonkeyChief Detachable member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACORLR
    WTB Topper Lunar Rock 6’ Leer
    I like these too, I want to run a set but haven't found anything that would come out to less than $600 for wheels and caps. I have tried CL and looking here. any suggestions?

I have also heard that the FJ steelies have a different backspacing so they stick out about 1" farther than the TRD sports, can anyone confirm this?

10. Jan 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I think it's all in your head. :p To most people, the black spare wheel are the same as the steelies that come standard on base model Corollas and such.

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    They do stick out further, 4.5" back spacing on a 7.5" rim. Check these guys out, i paid 260 otd for 4 brand new fj steelies with caps. Fj owners want way too much for them.http://shop.wheelsexpressonline.com/17-TOYOTA-FJ-CRUISER-WHEELS-69504.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top