Notices

First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
KarnaughAtlas is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Engineer
KarnaughAtlas's Tacoma Gallery
First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!

Hi everyone,

Just signed the papers to take delivery of my first ever pickup truck. It's just about as basic as you can get and that's what I was looking for. Used 09 5-Lug regular cab with 26k miles. I don't actually have it yet, they're bringing it to me tomorrow.

The first order of business is to get a set of good winter tires. The tires that are on it now are decent all-seasons but I live in Vermont and all-seasons don't cut it. It's also a good excuse to size up from the silly-looking stock size. Can anyone recommend some good, reasonably-priced tires that will get me through a blizzard? I'm a firefighter, so chances are I will have to drive in every single bad storm that we get. I don't do any off-roading (the closest thing would be a trail that leads to my buddy's camp, but my old Honda Element could handle it without too much trouble).

Thanks guys! I've already learned a ton about my new truck just by lurking around these forums.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Name: Donnie
02sr5trd's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw! not sure on snow tires but im sure someone will chime in soon! any plans for mods on your truck?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
I don't plan on going nuts with mods, but I'd like to do the Fat Bob's lift kit and some OEM fog lights.

Of course, after I get it lifted I'll probably want bigger rims and tires...

We'll see.

Here are some pictures, fresh from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!-img_0515.jpg   First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!-img_0517.jpg   First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!-img_0518.jpg  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
then the snowball gets bigger good looking truck man. love the color
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
gy duratracs, hankook dynapro atm's, nitto terra grapplers, bfg at's, mickey thompson atz's, dick cepek fc II, to name a few.

i live in upstate ny, we average 170 inches of snow a year, and i chose the hankooks because they were a ton cheaper than any of the others and taco people here on TW seem to love them. only have 1000 miles on them so far - and no snow yet if you can believe that - so i can't tell you for sure.

i've also run the mickey thompson's on my jeep - great tire in the snow, and they have ALOT more tread than anything else out there.

i ran the cepek's on my excursion - love that tire. also fantastic in snow, but those were an E rated tire on a one ton truck.

alot of folks run the duratracs on this site, great great reviews but i thought they were a little pricey. i also find the tread and the tire ugly as sin.

i've run the terra grapplers also on my excursion, they were not bad but they came with the truck when i bought it and it had some miles on it.

bfg at would be my last choice. alot of people love them around here, but i think the sidewalls on them suck. if you are not abusing them then this may not be a concern. others in my family have gotten 100K out of a set of bfgs.

good luck with your decision and welcome to TW!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Hey Jack, thanks for the info and thanks everyone for the welcome. I actually ended up going with some Firestone winterforce UVs - found a good price on them and cash is a bit tight around Christmas. Any bad experiences with them? Also, do you put any weight in the bed - if so, how much?

We got hit a little bit last night and I was sliding around everywhere...those tires can't come soon enough.