1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First ever pickup truck - it's a Taco!

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by KarnaughAtlas, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    KarnaughAtlas

KarnaughAtlas [OP] Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4x4
    Hi everyone,

Just signed the papers to take delivery of my first ever pickup truck. It's just about as basic as you can get and that's what I was looking for. Used 09 5-Lug regular cab with 26k miles. I don't actually have it yet, they're bringing it to me tomorrow.

The first order of business is to get a set of good winter tires. The tires that are on it now are decent all-seasons but I live in Vermont and all-seasons don't cut it. It's also a good excuse to size up from the silly-looking stock size. Can anyone recommend some good, reasonably-priced tires that will get me through a blizzard? I'm a firefighter, so chances are I will have to drive in every single bad storm that we get. I don't do any off-roading (the closest thing would be a trail that leads to my buddy's camp, but my old Honda Element could handle it without too much trouble).

Thanks guys! I've already learned a ton about my new truck just by lurking around these forums.

2. Dec 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    02sr5trd

02sr5trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    Deckplate Mod, AFE Pro Dry filter, Xcelerator 14'' muffler, AAL, 5100's @2.5, Kenwood DD HU, Alpine speakers.
    Welcome to TW.

3. Dec 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    welcome to tw! :wave: not sure on snow tires but im sure someone will chime in soon! any plans for mods on your truck?

4. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    KarnaughAtlas

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4x4
    I don't plan on going nuts with mods, but I'd like to do the Fat Bob's lift kit and some OEM fog lights.

Of course, after I get it lifted I'll probably want bigger rims and tires...

We'll see.

Here are some pictures, fresh from the dealer.

IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg

5. Dec 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    then the snowball gets bigger :D good looking truck man. love the color

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    meh, once you mod once you never stop

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    gy duratracs, hankook dynapro atm's, nitto terra grapplers, bfg at's, mickey thompson atz's, dick cepek fc II, to name a few.

i live in upstate ny, we average 170 inches of snow a year, and i chose the hankooks because they were a ton cheaper than any of the others and taco people here on TW seem to love them. only have 1000 miles on them so far - and no snow yet if you can believe that - so i can't tell you for sure.

i've also run the mickey thompson's on my jeep - great tire in the snow, and they have ALOT more tread than anything else out there.

i ran the cepek's on my excursion - love that tire. also fantastic in snow, but those were an E rated tire on a one ton truck.

alot of folks run the duratracs on this site, great great reviews but i thought they were a little pricey. i also find the tread and the tire ugly as sin.

i've run the terra grapplers also on my excursion, they were not bad but they came with the truck when i bought it and it had some miles on it.

bfg at would be my last choice. alot of people love them around here, but i think the sidewalls on them suck. if you are not abusing them then this may not be a concern. others in my family have gotten 100K out of a set of bfgs.

good luck with your decision and welcome to TW!

8. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    KarnaughAtlas

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4x4
    Hey Jack, thanks for the info and thanks everyone for the welcome. I actually ended up going with some Firestone winterforce UVs - found a good price on them and cash is a bit tight around Christmas. Any bad experiences with them? Also, do you put any weight in the bed - if so, how much?

We got hit a little bit last night and I was sliding around everywhere...those tires can't come soon enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top