Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

In cab AC plugs for 5 lug auto

Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
In cab AC plugs for 5 lug auto

So i've seen PSU Taco85's writeup on the 400 watt inverter but I'm confused as to how to wire just the AC plugs. I just want to install a plug in the bed and one in the center console. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about electrical circuits and I want to understand it before I try and mess with anything. Would I follow his writeup? or is there another one to follow? In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobigindi View Post
So i've seen PSU Taco85's writeup on the 400 watt inverter but I'm confused as to how to wire just the AC plugs. I just want to install a plug in the bed and one in the center console. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about electrical circuits and I want to understand it before I try and mess with anything. Would I follow his writeup? or is there another one to follow? In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?
I would like to know this too
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I would look into an aftermarket inverter and mount it somewhere in the cab, maybe under the rear seat and run wiring out to the bed under the truck. 400 watts won't power anything with more than a 3.3 amp draw at 120v. You could probably find an aftermarket inverter rated at 1000 watts that would be good for 8.3 amps which run some smaller power tools.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Public Servant Enemy #1

Quote:
In other words, do i need to do the 400W mod or can I just install the plugs somehow?
Yes you need an inverter. The inverter contains a transformer to step up the voltage from 14.4v ~12.5v rms to 120v. It also contains the circuitry to convert the voltage from DC to AC.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I installed a 800w inverter under the passenger seat. I have the usb and 120V plug in the front little bin and another 120V plug in the center console. I ran a 4g hot wire from the battery to the inverter through the fire wall and ran my ground to the body.
Its a Cobra unit I got off of amazon. It works great!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

so it looks like the inverter has two outlets and a usb plug already, so how did you install the plugs where you did? did you just use a power lead directly from the outlet in the inverter?
sorry, i'm really new to all this
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so it looks like the inverter has two outlets and a usb plug already, so how did you install the plugs where you did? did you just use a power lead directly from the outlet in the inverter?
sorry, i'm really new to all this
5 lug tacos don't come with a factory inverter, you have to buy your own. I bought 2 extension cords (1 per outlet) and chopped off one end (female plug). I bought these: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...SnvPxFpA%3d%3d

Just cut a hole and snapped them in. For the USB I bout a USB extension cord and cut a hole and glued it in.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
5 lug tacos don't come with a factory inverter, you have to buy your own. I bought 2 extension cords (1 per outlet) and chopped off one end (female plug). I bought these: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...SnvPxFpA%3d%3d

Just cut a hole and snapped them in. For the USB I bout a USB extension cord and cut a hole and glued it in.
aah, i see, thanks, and the inverter just gets hooked up to the battery?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Public Servant Enemy #1

Yeah, the inverter installs similar to a car audio amplifier. Fuse and hot lead wire to the battery, and terminal to a suitable grounding point.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
VA7DRR is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
VA7DRR's Tacoma Gallery
are there any videos on how to install the ac plugs and wires to the trucks inverter?