Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Fat Bob's issues on a 2011

Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Question Fat Bob's issues on a 2011

Hey guys I've been installing the lift on my truck today and ran into some issues.

Have any of you guys ran into these issues and if so, how did you go about fixing them?

Here are some pics:
The red arrow is pointing at a point on the strut that is rubbing on the UCA. This is not acceptable.

The top arrow is showing where the brake hose originally bolted on to, but after roatating the strut 180 degrees as per the intructions, the brake hose(lower arrow) is no longer is able to reach and the bracket now rubs on the bump stop and makes a bunch of noise

Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Is that kit designed for a 5 lug?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Harleyfx69 is on a distinguished road
Harleyfx69's Tacoma Gallery
think you might have installed something backwards ? or put left side on right side ?

if all else fails get out the angle grinder / die grinder
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
You sure you got the right kit??
Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Son of a seabiscuit!

My P.O. says it is a 42275-AAL which is the number for the 5 lug lift with AAL on Fat Bob's website.

But my instruction that were included say it's a "Front leveling system for a 6-lug Tacoma!

I called Fat Bob's Garage earlier today and spoke with a man (Ted) who pointed me to the right set of directions online but I never thought the kit could be wrong!

I didn't install the drivers side because I knew I would want to resolve the issues with the rubbing and brake hose.

****!!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #6

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyfx69 View Post
think you might have installed something backwards ? or put left side on right side ?

if all else fails get out the angle grinder / die grinder
That's what I was thinking, but the spacer will only go on 1 way and the strut will only go on in 1 direction after the spacer is added to the top of the strut.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
Son of a seabiscuit!

My P.O. says it is a 42275-AAL which is the number for the 5 lug lift with AAL on Fat Bob's website.

But my instruction that were included say it's a "Front leveling system for a 6-lug Tacoma!

I called Fat Bob's Garage earlier today and spoke with a man (Ted) who pointed me to the right set of directions online but I never thought the kit could be wrong!

I didn't install the drivers side because I knew I would want to resolve the issues with the rubbing and brake hose.

****!!
Sounds (and looks) like you got the wrong schitt, dood.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. Soon as the holiday weekend is done, call 'em up. You got the wrong kit.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #9

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics of a front spacer that I did not install yet:

Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #10

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Well guys, can somebody that has installed a Fat Bob's lift tell me what they did when it came time to reinstall the strut with the spacer attached.

I followed the instruction and the brake hose retaining bracket on the strut is causing issues. I don't see how any spacer would fix this problem since no matter what space I put on, the bracket is still facing the wrong way.

Maybe somebody could post some pics of their successful Fat Bob's or Readylift kit??
Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
Well guys, can somebody that has installed a Fat Bob's lift tell me what they did when it came time to reinstall the strut with the spacer attached.

I followed the instruction and the brake hose retaining bracket on the strut is causing issues. I don't see how any spacer would fix this problem since no matter what space I put on, the bracket is still facing the wrong way.

Maybe somebody could post some pics of their successful Fat Bob's or Readylift kit??
Are you sure that this spacer is part of your kit ?
I wouldn't trust any of it until I went over it part # by part # with Fat Bob.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #12

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Are you sure that this spacer is part of your kit ?
I wouldn't trust any of it until I went over it part # by part # with Fat Bob.
Well the problem is the spacer itself does not have a part # stamped on it. Actually nothing has a part # on it.

The only thing I can do is to measure the dimensions of the spacer...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
When you rotate the strut, it means you have to loosely bolt in the spacer and get something like a 6 inch extentsion to turn it. It took me awhile to figure it out. if you look at your strut notice how the coil spring sits on the bottom, then if you can see it look at how mine sits..
Attached Thumbnails
Fat Bob's issues on a 2011-img_1315.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #14

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMan2007 View Post
When you rotate the strut, it means you have to loosely bolt in the spacer and get something like a 6 inch extentsion to turn it. It took me awhile to figure it out. if you look at your strut notice how the coil spring sits on the bottom, then if you can see it look at how mine sits..
Hmmm...

So are you saying I have to rotate the shock while somehow not rotating the spring? Does it have anything to do with the nut on top that is holding everything together?

Could you take a pic of the bottom of your strut assembly where it bolts to the LCA? I want to see which direction your brake hose bracket is facing.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

its facing out like its supposed to, plus I wasn't sure how good the clearance would have been on the bracket and UCA so i cut the corner that posed any issues off with my dremel. just spray where the coil and bottom of the strut meet with WD40 all around. take what yours going to rotate it with and slowly push. When you do rotate it go in the direction the end of the coil points. I'll take some pictures when i go to retorque everything since its had about a week to all settle in place.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley0568 View Post
Dude, I fucking spent 3 hours last night trying to install this same "leveling kit"on my 12 taco. Shit pissed me off. You do have to turn the shock 80 degrees to make it fit, the problem I had was getting it back in after the spacer was attached, and I used spring com. You or anyone have input for me?
you really don't need to use a spring compressor. It took me four days to do mine. first day I almost had the front end done until the last flange nut that holds the strut in place rounded out because of rust on the threads. only other problems i had was with the sun setting on me so no more light. i don't really have shop lights or a garage thats cleared out enough to work it. worst of all. I had no instructions. I bought my spacers used and ordered the rest when I came home for leave.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #17

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMan2007 View Post
its facing out like its supposed to, plus I wasn't sure how good the clearance would have been on the bracket and UCA so i cut the corner that posed any issues off with my dremel. just spray where the coil and bottom of the strut meet with WD40 all around. take what yours going to rotate it with and slowly push. When you do rotate it go in the direction the end of the coil points. I'll take some pictures when i go to retorque everything since its had about a week to all settle in place.
Alright I appreciate the helpful pointers I'm gonna try to button up my truck today and see what I can do. I have a problem with my brake hose bracket contacting the bump stop mount. It makes a terrible binding/scraping noise. Did you have an issue like that?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #18

ok heres the photos of my left strut. the bracket shouldn't be touching the bumpstop mount. like i said. make how the coil spring on your strut match how the struts on my truck sits. after that should be smooth sailing for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Fat Bob's issues on a 2011-img_1331.jpg   Fat Bob's issues on a 2011-img_1332.jpg   Fat Bob's issues on a 2011-img_1334.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure if the 12 differs from 2011 but I can't get the bottom of the strut back into place once the spacer is on. There is a little lip that I can't get it over. Very frustrating.
you tried to use prybar possibly or pushing the lower arm down to get the shock in? i know exactly what you are talking about but has never become this big of an issue for me.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #20

Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure if the 12 differs from 2011 but I can't get the bottom of the strut back into place once the spacer is on. There is a little lip that I can't get it over. Very frustrating.
Did you try leaving the 3 nuts that hold the top of the strut loose?