Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Need help with my lift!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
TRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
TRDChris's Tacoma Gallery
Need help with my lift!!!

So I just installed the 3 inch fabtech spindle lift in the front and the fabtech shackles in the rear of my 2001 toyota tacoma and now my brake pedal sinks all the way to the bottom as if it has no pressure although it does. my truck does brake, but why is the pedal sink all the way to the bottom as if it were my master cylinder but it's not? Can Anyone give me some insight on this matter I'm stuck
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Does this lift kit include longer brake lines that you had to install? If it does you might want to try bleeding the brakes.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
TRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUGrad05 View Post
Does this lift kit include longer brake lines that you had to install? If it does you might want to try bleeding the brakes.
It doesn't include longer brake lines just brackets to extend the brake lines 2 inches higher. I bled the brakes and even then my pedal just sinks to the bottom. My brakes are working but my pedal is what is worrying me? I don't understand why it has no pressure?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Did you fill the reservoir back up after bleeding them?

It shouldn't have been necessary to even bleed them... When I did mine I just zip tied the calipers to the tie rods so they didn't hang by their lines. Shouldn't have had to remove any lines.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Did you fill the reservoir back up after bleeding them?

It shouldn't have been necessary to even bleed them... When I did mine I just zip tied the calipers to the tie rods so they didn't hang by their lines. Shouldn't have had to remove any lines.
I made sure to refill the reservoir when it was getting low on brake fluid. When I was done installing the kit, and drove it for the first time, the brake pedal would sink in and thats why I bled the brakes thinking that their might have been some air in them from when I removed the caliper and re inserted the piston but there wasn't any air? I checked all my tires and your right matt there wasn't any air. It can't be my master cylinder because It's new and I am getting pressure from the brakes. My brakes are working its just that my pedal is sinking to the bottom. I thought maybe I might have damaged the lspv so I bought a new one and no It wasn't that either!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

I just called fabtech and they said it has to be that air got into my brake system or a leak but it's niether
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

Anyone have any idea on this problem?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get an rear brake proportioning valve relocation bracket? That's about the only thing I can think of other than air. My rear came with one so I don't know what it would feel like without it but it is definitely sending less braking pressure to the rear, which would cause your pedal to feel softer. I doubt it would cause the pedal to go all the way to the floor but it's possible.

Try loading the shit out of your bed with whatever you can find for weight. This'll cause the rear to get more brake pressure and see if it feels more normal.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Did you get an rear brake proportioning valve relocation bracket? That's about the only thing I can think of other than air. My rear came with one so I don't know what it would feel like without it but it is definitely sending less braking pressure to the rear, which would cause your pedal to feel softer. I doubt it would cause the pedal to go all the way to the floor but it's possible.

Try loading the shit out of your bed with whatever you can find for weight. This'll cause the rear to get more brake pressure and see if it feels more normal.
Yea the shackles came with the relocation bracket and I installed it. I tried removing the bracket and while I held the proportioning valve at several different heights and my dad would be stepping on the brake to see if it might have been the height that was the problem but it wasn't that either. I even tried reinstalling the valve where it had been at before the lift install because joel told me he lifted his rear with leafs that added 1.5 inches and they didn't come with a relocation bracket but my truck was still braking the same. That's what I think is happening as well. The valve is sending less brake pressure to the rear.....
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt the bpv bracket helps much if at all I can still lock up all 4 tires even after the bigger tires heavier rims and lift. Only thing else I could think of was a kinked hard line but I'm stumped too
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Bike2peak is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Bike2peak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDChris View Post
I made sure to refill the reservoir when it was getting low on brake fluid. When I was done installing the kit, and drove it for the first time, the brake pedal would sink in and thats why I bled the brakes thinking that their might have been some air in them from when I removed the caliper and re inserted the piston but there wasn't any air? I checked all my tires and your right matt there wasn't any air. It can't be my master cylinder because It's new and I am getting pressure from the brakes. My brakes are working its just that my pedal is sinking to the bottom. I thought maybe I might have damaged the lspv so I bought a new one and no It wasn't that either!
New doesn't always mean good. if it's very new, I'd suspect it. a bad master cyl can provide you with some brake pressure, but leak internally past the piston seals. If the system wasn't opened, there shouldnt be air in the lines.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike2peak View Post
New doesn't always mean good. if it's very new, I'd suspect it. a bad master cyl can provide you with some brake pressure, but leak internally past the piston seals. If the system wasn't opened, there shouldnt be air in the lines.
Me and my dad are thinking it's the braking proportioning valve
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
Didn't you swap that already?
yea but a used one......we don't know what else it can be?...
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
Shit man I have no clue
Maybe I should sell it and get a 2nd gen lol
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #18

I'm going to get burried with that truck
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #20
AmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to beholdAmeriMotor is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter:
Name: American Motorsports
AmeriMotor's Tacoma Gallery
TRDChris you have an air bubble in your brake system, even 1 little bubble can cause some problems. You should start by filling your brake resivor up first then pump your brakes 3 times. Then start at the closet to the master cylinder brake caliper driver side front, then passenger side front, driver side rear then passenger side rear. Bleed as much fluid threw your lines as possible. try to open each valve on the caliper atleast 3 times with pumping inbetween opening and closing. I cant say if this happened but when you install the spindle the caliper was usually turned upside down which has cause an air bubble in your brake system.