Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 5 Lug

Notices

Steering issues

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Street is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really nice

Name: jon
Street's Tacoma Gallery
Steering issues

My truck has a nasty squeak when the steering wheel gets to the end L or
R thinking its the power steering box but the rack p is something i have never fouled with. any idea's thx guy.

Also does it almost right away when its cold out even before you turn it half way
Old 02-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Check the Power steering fluid level first. If it's low fill it up.

It could also be a serpentine belt. You mention "squeak" and not a "whine". Squeak would lead more towards belts. Check belt tension and belt wear.

Could also check to see if the rack is leaking. If you can, take a needle and poke a hole in the bottom of a steering rack boot(s) and see if fluid drains out.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Street is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really niceStreet is just really nice

Street's Tacoma Gallery
Thx alot bud, the last owner had some white stuff ..hahahaa on the belts a type of lube stick stuff, i ve seen at walmart
: Prestone Belt Dressing

i ve used this and it works great but i never thought that the belts might be squeaking
I am running a 245 R17
thx bud

i'll try all that
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #4

Street's Tacoma Gallery
it pulley is stopping and the belt keeps going, sounds like a new steering pump o well new one should come in by next week
Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
The Beast
yotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotabeast505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 82nd Airborn
Name: David
yotabeast505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street View Post
it pulley is stopping and the belt keeps going, sounds like a new steering pump o well new one should come in by next week
can you twist the belt past 90 degrees with your fingers. if the tension isnt right the belt will slip. if you can the belt is too loose. but hope everything goes well with the new one. if not psc has TC styles for our trucks. make sure you tell them its still has the rack on it not a box.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

Street's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to buy a rebuild kit...when looking at it I had my girl turn the wheel and the power steering pump pulley would stop and i have the nasty noise like most when the wheel gets to the end of its turn left or right.....I just don't want to hurt the rack. i rebuild kit is $11 vs $187 new and $40 w/120K used so why not just make a new one?